• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Your Favorite Chili Recipe….beans ? Or no beans?

HASBEEN

I’m cooking my favorite chili, ( Daddy’s recipe) and a pot of white rice, and pan of cornbread.
Always feeds lots of folks.

Daddy never put beans in, and stirred the meat until it was “fine”…. I prolly like that because of good memories or nostalgia….
but got to thinking about regional, or even local preferences.

Beans? No Beans?

I grew up in Louisiana and Mississippi… migrated to Georgia, Arkansas several years each, then Texas for the last 25 years or so. The Barbecue is so different in each place ( tomato based and lots of pork where I grew up) lots of vinegar based stuff in Georgia, ALL beef/brisket in Texas….
Cole slaw on a pulled pork sandwich in Memphis😎

Made me think Chili is probably the same way….. We like what we grew up with.

Beans?

No beans?

Beans vs. rice vs. meat in my chili etc. has always been a function of my freezer status. Right now vote me for no beans, I got enough issues eating through what I got and my #1 goal is keeping the new freezer running.

IMG_5153.jpg

But yah, beans are good.

In the words of Outback Steakhouse....No rules, just right.
One caveat...I don’t use any store-bought seasoning packet mix. Too many funky chemicals. I mix my own and use Masa flour to thicken it.
Beans were used to extend the meat and add to the flavor and texture. We always made it with beans, using Red Kidney mainly. Then, at the firehouse, one cook put Kidney, Black and Pinto Beans then topped it with Corn and chopped onions. Wow. Downright awesome. I was hooked.
So, no rules. Make it how you like. Good time of the year for Chili.

True Texas Chili is without beans but make it the way you like it!

Course ground beef or venison, Black Beans, green peppers and onion for me. The sweet corn thing sounds interesting !

I’ve had it several ways and even though beans aren’t on the top of my list of favorites yes my chili has beans. Normally just kidney but my wife opened my eyes to kidney black and pinto. Always ground beef and I prefer sausage as well. Being beans aren’t my favorite I aim to have twice as much meat as anything else. I always cook it with onions but I also prefer raw onion as a garnish too. I won’t guarantee I make it the same every time but it’s normally pretty close. I’ve been wanting to put corn in it but I’ve been the only fan of that.

I buy a healthy sized brisket, season it, sear it on the grill, slice it up nice and rare, fine chopped onion sautéed in "real" butter, toss the brisket chunks on top, cap it and let it all simmer for a few hours, sometimes I use Carrol Shelbys chili mix, or other times throw in my own mix, when it comes to beans, I usually cheat with Bush's chili beans or I will cook some dry black beans up to mix in, Rotel canned tomatoes with chilies in the mix as well, simmer after a hard boil, and then let it all rest till cool, warm it back up to serve over rice.

Beans, no beans all good either way. If I make it with a kit I usually toss some beans in. If not from a kit like 70% of the time it’s beanless not because I don’t like em just that don’t add to the flavor of the chilli. Oh and extra cheese and saltines. Venison is my go too rarely will I make chili with ground beef.

Attachments

• IMG_5099.jpeg
    IMG_5099.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0
Back