• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

How do I remove oxidation from carbon fiber prop blades?

TexRO

I have a 3 blade Whirlwind carbon fiber prop. They are suppose to be black, but the oxidation on one side of the blades make them look white. I have tried buffing compound, back to black, and both paste and liquid wax. The liquid wax brought back a beautiful black color for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the oxidation came right back.

Do Y'all have any solutions that will remove the oxidation permanently?

In a basic answer, you will need to pressure wash the blades, get all of that wax out of the pores, a good degreaser and another pressure wash, let sit in the sun to dry fully, a full even coat of catalyzed urethane clear coat per blade will seal up the porosity, wet sand and re-coat

I used WD40 to clean mine up from that oxidization look. I also wipe them down with it after a few uses to keep the gunk from sticking to it. Works very well.

It sounds like you've tried several methods to address the oxidation on your carbon fiber prop blades without much success. Oxidation can be persistent, especially on certain materials like carbon fiber. While buffing compounds, back to black products, and waxes can offer temporary improvements, they may not provide a permanent solution.

One option you could explore is using a specialized oxidation remover designed specifically for carbon fiber surfaces. These products are formulated to penetrate the surface and remove oxidation effectively. However, be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully to avoid damaging the prop blades.

Another approach could involve seeking professional assistance from a marine or aviation maintenance expert who specializes in carbon fiber components. They may have access to advanced techniques or products that are not readily available to consumers and can provide a more permanent solution to your oxidation issue.

Lastly, consider taking preventive measures to protect your prop blades from further oxidation. This could include applying a protective coating or sealant designed for carbon fiber surfaces to help prevent future oxidation.

Overall, while removing oxidation from carbon fiber can be challenging, exploring specialized products or seeking professional assistance may offer a more permanent solution for restoring the black color of your prop blades.

I have a 3 blade Whirlwind carbon fiber prop. They are suppose to be black, but the oxidation on one side of the blades make them look white. I have tried buffing compound, back to black, and both paste and liquid wax. The liquid wax brought back a beautiful black color for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the oxidation came right back.

Do Y'all have any solutions that will remove the oxidation permanently?
Hello TexRO,

The composite blades of the Whirl Wind Propeller are made from prepreg composite materials, which means the resins are pre-impregnated into the composite fibers before the materials are made into a blade. During the manufacturing process, the blades undergo a thermoset process under high temperature and pressure that cures the materials together in an irreversible process. The excess resin is forced out of the composite fibers during this process, and the resin flows along between the blade and the tool surface. This excess resin flow is what creates the outer finish of the blades.

The standard propeller blade finish is a raw finish of this resin, and when the propeller is exposed to sunlight, the UV rays can speed up the breakdown and erosion of the outer resin coating. Once the outer coating has eroded, the fibers underneath become exposed and fade.

We recommend helping to preserve your blade's outer resin coating longer by protecting them with a product that has UV-ray protection, such as an automotive-type clear spray polish. Most have a UV protectant in this type of product. If you wipe down your blades after each use with a mild cleaner (Simple Green or Dawn), and then use the spray polish as your final wipe-down, you will extend the life of the outer resin coating.

We also recommend that you consider sending your blades in to us for a new outer resin coating when you start to see signs of the outer resin coating erosion happening.

Attachments

• Propeller-Care-and-Maintenance.jpg
    Propeller-Care-and-Maintenance.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 7
303 Protectant “ is SPF 100 for your stuff.”

Back