• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

1970’s Tomcat Hurricane Aircraft powered help

Welcome to SA!!

What do you plan to use the airboat for? (hunting, fishing, recreation)

I did a search and found a few photos. Can you post any photos of the one you want to purchase?

Good luck and keep us posted.

yellow11.jpg

jse_mom_dad_027.jpg

Google search links with more info: southern airboat Hurricane Tomcat Aircat Airboats - Google Search
Vietnam era, indeed.

Army had around 80 of the 5 or so foot longer Hurricane Aircats running COIN, interdiction and insertion/extraction on the Mekong Delta and thereabouts, ~1965-70. .50 cal on the bow, optional .30s, experimentation with recoilless rifle, 4 to 6 passengers and crew. Hurricane Airboats, here in Florida, went out of business ~1984. I have a shorter, ~12’, fiberglass knock-off, with 68” prop and ancient but still operational Lycoming O-290-G (“G” for ground power unit (GPU)). Rated at ~ nominal 128 hp. Circa WW2, recent top-end rebuild, all else operational, minor glass repairs and Super Slick protective application under way.

Thank you very much. I’m out of the market because of another endeavor. Being ill, keeping the mind and body occupied is the goal, especially the mind.
Thank you,
Eric

Oh, I reached out to the USMC museum at Quantico and they did not a mil craft.
What sort of military watercraft were you inquiring on with respect to USMC Museum at Quantico? MCRD, PI, SC had two Chrysler Marsh Screws, early 1960s. From Army, used to try to find recruits who attempted to escape by way of tidal marsh, mud flats and creeks. PI H&S Bn, HQ Co., DPI #11. You could hear them firing up at O’Dark Thirty, going out to look for an escapee. Semper fidelis, Mark

This Otherworldly Vehicle from Chrysler Is Over 50 Years Old. No one at MCRD, PI, SC seems to recall the Marsh Screws. Probably before when most of the folks I have asked were born! I was there 1972-73, Data Processing Installation (DPI) #11. A few years ago even the base historian had never heard of the 2 watercraft being there. Similar designs and larger in old USSR, used for getting to landed space capsules in the taiga and tundra. Even earlier models in US, based on tractor engine and chassis on twin counter-rotating screws.

What sort of military watercraft were you inquiring on with respect to USMC Museum at Quantico? MCRD, PI, SC had two Chrysler Marsh Screws, early 1960s. From Army, used to try to find recruits who attempted to escape by way of tidal marsh, mud flats and creeks. PI H&S Bn, HQ Co., DPI #11. You could hear them firing up at O’Dark Thirty, going out to look for an escapee. Semper fidelis, Mark
Just seeing if they had any fan boats. Thought the little one I found was a mil craft but was wrong.
Boats in the Delta, did some insane shit! My old Capt, retired Admiral Robert Natter was the most decorated PBR skipper in that war. The man had balls of titanium and I’m sure he hasn’t changed.
Semper Fi,
Former 0341 USMC, HM2 pecker checker USN

Just seeing if they had any fan boats. Thought the little one I found was a mil craft but was wrong.
Boats in the Delta, did some insane shit! My old Capt, retired Admiral Robert Natter was the most decorated PBR skipper in that war. The man had balls of titanium and I’m sure he hasn’t changed.
Semper Fi,
Former 0341 USMC, HM2 pecker checker USN
USMC had no airboats that I am aware - well, except for use of LCACs, much later. The PBR skipper sounds impressive, and conjures up visions of some of the later scenes in “Apocalypse Now” (story line a shameless and uncredited use of J. Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness” as well as Tony Poshepny’s escapades in northern Laos). I did not serve in Vietnam as the drawdown of Marines was already running full tilt by the time I cleared PI and ITR, and then 3 months as a range coach - having shot high expert with the M-14. So, they sent me to Quantico, instead, and I came out of there as a 4065 (System Programmer). Similar to your trajectory to Corpsman, I became a M-60 driver with the USMCR, and then 91B20 Combat Medic with Army MSC Reserve after discharge, and later an officer for CBNRE, then resigned the commission and moved to Pakistan for 3 years.

Hurricane Airboats, once located here in Florida, now defunct, did make a smaller boat, the Hurricane. The Mekong Delta boat was the larger version, the Air Cat.

Semper fidelis, indeed.

Mark

This Otherworldly Vehicle from Chrysler Is Over 50 Years Old. No one at MCRD, PI, SC seems to recall the Marsh Screws. Probably before when most of the folks I have asked were born! I was there 1972-73, Data Processing Installation (DPI) #11. A few years ago even the base historian had never heard of the 2 watercraft being there. Similar designs and larger in old USSR, used for getting to landed space capsules in the taiga and tundra. Even earlier models in US, based on tractor engine and chassis on twin counter-rotating screws.
PI and F’ing sand fleas after a fresh mow, fond memories!

Back