Buying Used Bows

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Buying Used Bows

Postby terrible ted » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Just remember guys most bows have no warranties but for the original registered owner. To me that warranty is 1/2 the price of a bow because they all fail at some point. I have owned a few. I cant think of one that i did not get something fixed on by warranty. My bud even has a newer Mathews that exploded at full draw. They will only do warranties for the original owner he was worried he did not remember registration it. They did it when he bought it.
Just a FYI

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Buying Used Bows

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 pm

In regard to Matthews should you ever purchase a bow from one of their dealers be sure it gets registered by the dealer and you keep your receipt.

Let me tell you a little story about a shady dealer and my experience. I hunted with an old Darton for 20 years and desired a newer lighter bow and started shopping all over for a lighter weight Matthews. The Drenalin had caught my eye and I found one for sale on the computer in North Florida. I drove the 4 hours to the shop that displayed Matthews banners, flags, had Matthews attire, accessories and products. The dealer sold me the nice new bow at a savings to me of somewhere around $200 compared to others I had seen advertised.

The bow had a serial number (example) D12345 and it appeared to be the D was for Drenalin. The dealer gave me the Matthews hat and said he would register it for me online. Well about a week later I just thought i would follow up and called Matthews myself to "VERIFY" the warranty was registered. This is where the shizt hit the fan!

It turns out the dealer was not a dealer anymore and sold me a bow that had been sent to them as a DEMO bow! So basically they told me I was screwed and the bow would not have a warranty. To my credit I had snapped a few pics of the shop because it was a cool place and had gotten a reciept with the sale outlined. I called Matthews back and told them that I was being made to be a victim because they failed to police rogue dealers and secure the return of their products not offered for sale. I sent them pictures of the shop and it clearly would make anyone think it was a Matthews authorized dealership. In addition i copied the internet ad and sent them that showing that this party represented them self as a dealer.

In the end all turned out good, so I have the only lifetime warranty D code bow registered to a private sale...lol

If you see a Matthews with a "D" prefix being offered for sale be aware something is foul and call the factory to seek their input.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Buying Used Bows

Postby Deano » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Good for you, brother. Many would not be as astute.

Both are great posts. :salute:
Sometimes a friendly reminder is just the thing to keep somebody out of trouble. :thumbleft:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”