Canning meats ....

All about vittles!
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Canning meats ....

Post by Olf Art »

In one my earlier posts on this thread I mentioned 'hilling' produce in the ground ...... my grandfolks did that too, but the deep South is way too warm for that. Anybody else familiar with what I'm talking about? :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

I don't know about hillin' produce Olf, but I have heard that the old crackers would put up watermelons under the house, turning them every few weeks, and still have some at Christmas time.

Here's a Limey banjo picker who loved his ma in law's canned apples and sloes jam so much he wrote a song about it....
Enjoy

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

Where you been hiding Cowboy???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Texas
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

Olf Art wrote:In one my earlier posts on this thread I mentioned 'hilling' produce in the ground ...... my grandfolks did that too, but the deep South is way too warm for that. Anybody else familiar with what I'm talking about? :)
We used to store are root vegetables under the house in the sand to keep them,you can dip fresh eggs in mineral oil to make them last longer .
Doug
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Hillin' the way we did it up in KY is something like this ......
First, it needs to be cold enough in the Winter to make this work. In the Autumn you usually got "first frost", then Indian Summer where the days were very nice but a little crisp at night. After that the colder weather was in the air and that's when you got busy.

You'd dig several 'bowls' in the ground about 18" deep at the center and maybe 5'-6' across. Then you'd line those holes with plenty of straw and pour your produce into it ...... one for each 'hill, with a little stake nearby to show what was in there. Then more straw over the top before you put the dirt back over it, and a piece of an old tarp to top it off. This worked great for things like apples, cabbage, carrots, even peppers, onions, and late green tomatoes.

I've been sent out to fetch something from one of the hills in the Winter, knock the snow off low along one side, reach back in there and come out with a few apples or a cabbage that looked as fresh as the day they were picked.
You didn't have to worry about critters gettin into it much (maybe raccoons) because on a workin farm there were always at least a couple old dogs and a few cats around to keep everything else run off.
bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bkmail »

Olf Art wrote:
bkmail wrote:Everything is ready to eat when its opened. Often we'll pack some veggies in the meat jars, makes its own gravy. Just heat and eat. Great to keep at the cabin!
Bk
That sounds delicious. Ever eaten salmon with cabbage? I love it.
Not much of a salmon eater unless its bellys that I smoked.
Also make our own bacon, render fat from bears, etc.... all easy and delicious.
Been making ''gratons'' or ''cracklins'' last couple weekends.....mmmmm-mmmmmm!
Bk
PS-Love the drawing in the background in the butchering area photo!!
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech 2.68 Stinger box, w/84" 4 blade Whisper Tip Whirlwind blades.
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

bkmail wrote:PS-Love the drawing in the background in the butchering area photo!!
Bk, I'm sure there's a story behind that drawing ( :) ) but at my age that commercial sized food processor looks pretty sexy too!! :lol:
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

bkmail wrote:Also make our own bacon, render fat from bears, etc.... all easy and delicious.
Been making ''gratons'' or ''cracklins'' last couple weekends.....mmmmm-mmmmmm!
Render fat from bears? Woof. I'm not quite sure about that one. That would probably be something I'd keep back to feed to the dogs. :)
Love cracklins ..... watched many times as the old folk fried them up in a big cast iron pot over an open fire after they'd rendered hogs. Cracklins, cornbread and milk will make supper, and they're a great high energy trail snack all by themselves.
Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chaseh »

Neat stories, guys! Fond memories of canning growing up, but never meat. Definitely thinking about trying it though
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Chaseh wrote: Fond memories of canning growing up, but never meat. Definitely thinking about trying it though
Chase, try it on a small scale first to see if you like it. Meats (much more than veggies IMO) require absolute cleanliness because of the fats involved. I boil my jars, lids, and rings and then try not to touch them anywhere that bacteria might be able to get to the inside because I don't have a pressure canner.
A pressure canner can cure a lot of ills, but canning on the stovetop works too if you're careful about the preparation of the product you're putting up. Have some fun with it .... you'll learn fast what works and what doesn't, and if a small batch doesn't work out then try to figure out why before you move on.

Return to “Redneck Cuisine”