Finally-I'm building my boat

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby pipedog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 pm

Little bit at a time :dontknow: ,,,Hopefully next weekend I will get the poly on. We had to deal with the rain over the weekend putting the steel flex on
MADE IN USA :old_glory:
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Hardtail » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:03 pm

You have some really great metal working skills, I would like to know more, how much time and how much $ invested in materials to this point,
Many dream of being that good at building a hull, did you have a plan to follow or did you build it in memory?
I am very impressed with no welding, all rivets means you didn't even have to know how to weld aluminum, to build a great hull,
Airplanes are built with rivets to be airworthy and strong enough to fly, Enjoyed reading all the posts, I am new to Blow Boats, I just got
into airboating because I bought a property in Minnesota with a swamp I couldn't cross to get to the best hunting spots on the property,
so i found out that airboats are the only foolproof way of transportation across the most difficult terrain, once I got to driving it found it was
a whole lot of fun, so now I got a second airboat with an aircraft motor, aluminum hull for Florida everglades, and the one in MN is a 350 vortec motor glass hull.
GREAT JOB, Thanks for sharing.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Hardtail wrote:You have some really great metal working skills, I would like to know more, how much time and how much $ invested in materials to this point,
Many dream of being that good at building a hull, did you have a plan to follow or did you build it in memory?
I am very impressed with no welding, all rivets means you didn't even have to know how to weld aluminum, to build a great hull,
Airplanes are built with rivets to be airworthy and strong enough to fly, Enjoyed reading all the posts, I am new to Blow Boats, I just got
into airboating because I bought a property in Minnesota with a swamp I couldn't cross to get to the best hunting spots on the property,
so i found out that airboats are the only foolproof way of transportation across the most difficult terrain, once I got to driving it found it was
a whole lot of fun, so now I got a second airboat with an aircraft motor, aluminum hull for Florida everglades, and the one in MN is a 350 vortec motor glass hull.

I can attest to the quality of Kyle's build. I had the pleasure of stopping by one day while Kyle and Jerry were working on his hull. Jerry is the guy helping Kyle with the build, and just happens to be the same guy that built my current hull many many years ago. My hull is in incredible shape for it's age (almost identical to Kyle's hull, minus the walk boards). Hard to beat a riveted hull for longevity, and having witnessed Kyle's build in person, we agree it will last a very long time!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Hardtail wrote:You have some really great metal working skills, I would like to know more, how much time and how much $ invested in materials to this point,

Thanks for the good words Hardtail . Time wise it has taken a lot longer than it should because I work for a living :banghead: AS far as the knowledge of building boats as floridacracker9 mentioned all go's to my buddy Jerry, but I do all the work with the help of good friends when needed :thumbleft: . Cost is in the 3 grand area +/- with poly, a little more on the plus side. My wife is from International Falls area, where in Minn are you at??

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Hardtail » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:49 am

I have 117 acres by Cambridge MN in Isanti County, The 77 acres has paved road access with 2/3's swamp and enough high ground
for my camp and driveway, then across the NE corner is the higher ground 40 acres, which is only accessed by airboat, swamp seems
to be a floating bog or grass overgrowing a pond, either way can't walk it without falling through, and 4 Wheelers may just sink through,
However Deer seem to be able to cross, I have not figured that out yet.
International Falls is sometimes the coldest spot in the nation.
I priced a hull from Alumitech Airboats Hull with poly 7'4" x 11' 3590.00 and I want to put a Lycoming 0 360 on it and deck it over because
up there we get snow and or sleet/rain some melting days and freezing nights, and I don't want the hull to freeze and break.
I'm planning to do the rigging and finish the boat myself because I want to do a removable windshield for winter riding, So I'm hoping to get some
pointers from you when you get to that stage. Also would like some feed back on the Alumitech Hulls, Haven't had time to shop around yet.
I posted some pics of what MN can be like during Hunting season
Attachments
IMG_3383.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:30 pm

To freakin cold up there!! But some good hunting :thumbleft: . Alumitech has a good reputation

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 pm

I have an Alumitech and I can say that I will probably never own anything but an Alumitech! Raymond, the owner, is a top notch guy and you could never ask for better customer service!!!!
No disrespect to any other company, owner or their customer service....I'm just giving my 2 cents from personal experience

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Hardtail » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks, I'm planning to go look at them, sounds like they are good deal, watching Pipedog build his is giving me incentive
to get a new hull to customize to what my needs are.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:35 am

Hard tail.. I don't have too much experience with really cold temps but if there's water, sleet ect in the boat it should expand UP. I can't see how it would hurt anything but I have no personal experience with that.
Do people up there have boats break or bust from water??

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Hardtail » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Everything with water that freezes expands, it has no preferences, and can break anything, it will break rock, liquid water to a solid will
Expand. So keeping the hull from getting water inside or putting antifreeze in the water before it freezes are the only two options.
Well except for heaters in the hull which takes some sort of power, Then you would have to drain it or pump it out before allowing
it to freeze. I've forgotten to replace the water in a radiator (summertime) with antifreeze so when the first hard freeze came the block cracked.
That was in a truck when I was in my teens, LOL

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:39 pm

this hot weather is good for something

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:45 pm

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Banjo tight!! We paint the poly black to chalk line and black gets real hot

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:48 am

Making progress! Looks real good Kyle. I may be calling you when I get around to replacing the poly on my Son's new boat, may need some tips. Pat gave me a few a couple of weeks ago. Did you get your poly local?
Kevin
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:26 pm

War daddy in davie, I got there last sheet. They might have more now. I called everyone in the book it's hard to find full size sheet. Let me know if you need help

shep1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby shep1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:23 pm

Hey pal, some of us little people are wanting to see some more pics. Maybe your the completed project. What I see is really first class. I hope to build one myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 pm

shep1 wrote:Hey pal, some of us little people are wanting to see some more pics. Maybe your the completed project. What I see is really first class. I hope to build one myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

For the midget airboaters I worked on it a little this past weekend, added a fourth bulkhead but didn't take any pic's. I wish I had some pic's of it completed, then I would be sliding in it. I got some big ticket items to buy now that the hull is done and working alot makes for a slow build :banghead:

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cdid » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm having a full deck palm beach boat built... I should be done in a month, yours looks EXCELLENT.. Great Job
13' Palm Beach Full Deck (under construction) GITSO 520 72" NGQ

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:32 pm

cdid wrote:I'm having a full deck palm beach boat built... I should be done in a month, yours looks EXCELLENT.. Great Job

Thanks, who's building your hull?

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Hardtail » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Little bit at a time :don't know: ,,,Hopefully next weekend I will get the poly on. We had to deal with the rain over the weekend putting the steel flex on...

Pipedog, just wondering why steel flex and poly, is both needed for water tight? I have always thought to try putting the steel flex on the poly but didn't know if it would stick. I'm new to this and like to ask question just to learn. Wish I had your hull to ride on, looks great and admire your work.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Steelflex first so there is no bare aluminum under the poly that would be more susceptible to corrosion. A lot of guys are switching to a variprime under the poly, it's supposed to 'hold on' better than the steelflex.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Pipedog, just curious what made you go with the 6061 over 7075? And what thickness did you have to build the bottom out of?

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Seven3 wrote:Pipedog, just curious what made you go with the 6061 over 7075? And what thickness did you have to build the bottom out of?

The Old timer that is helping me build it has always used 6061, says it's a little easyer to work with. We used 125 on the bottom, and scratch it real heavy before the steel flex so it sticks good.
the 6061 comes in 5x12 sheets so two sheets together make a 7.5 ft wide boat with high sides. 7075 you have to add strips to the sides for a wide boat. 7075 is lighter and stronger and more $$ also
from what I'm told can be brittle, but I'm sure you would have to hit something really hard to crack it. 6061 can be welded as 7075 can't. For the type of boat I'm building(family ride boat) the 6061 was the way to go for me. :salute:

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Added a fourth bulk head to make the bottom absolutely flat and have adjustability in the future.
also added the floor boards for cooler and dry box to sit on
Last edited by pipedog on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Return to “Airboat Tech”