Left Or Right?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
bowgarguide
Southern Airboat Member

Left Or Right?

Post by bowgarguide »

I notice some have the steering stick on the left and some have it on the right . Is there any advantage to either one?
Ron
scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Left Or Right?

Post by scottyroll »

Yeah, it can offset your torque roll. My c/m boat has a gearbox on it and would probably handle a lil better if the driver was positioned on the right hand side of the boat... but being an American I am used to driving from the left side of the vehicle so that what I went with.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

I think that advantage may depend if your right or left handed. Since most people are right handed they steer with their left hand leaving their right hand free to manipulate the switches, lights gigs etc..

Right side steering might be better suited for a left handed person for the same reasons.

Foot steering avoids the whole issue however.

There is a statistic that left handed persons on average live 9 years less than right handed persons. This whole left versus right handedness is a vast study and covers some highly interesting points. I suspect steering side is just related to handedness. Since the mechanisms are mechanically just identical mirror images there is no design reason for one to be superior to the other. Remember though its not just the rudder stick, its also the belcrank (if using one), & tabs at the steering points on the rudders that flips. Remember also that this will move the instrument panel to the other side which will effect the length of various wires needed to connect on the opposite side.

Scottyroll is addressing sitting on the left side of a multiple wide seat vs the other side of the seat. He is right about torque roll of course depending on whether its belt/DD or gear drive.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

From what I,ve read the right side of your body is controlled by the left side of your brain and the left side of body is controlled by the right side of the brain----------so does this mean that left-handed people are the only ones in their right mind? :lol: :scratch: :rebel:
bowgarguide
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bowgarguide »

With what is LEFT of my feeeble little brain I think your RIGHT. :shock:
Ron
loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by loudmouse »

I sit on the right and drive with the left(center stick). Works for me with CM and gearbox.
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Which hand do you shoot or gig with? The stick might be better on the opposite side of your dominant hand.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009
Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup »

I took some great advice and went center steer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by WaterWalker »

WhiteBear said;

"There is a statistic that left handed persons on average live 9 years less than right handed persons. This whole left versus right handedness is a vast study and covers some highly interesting points."

During many of the years building propellers in Colorado by Water Walker, the lead layup man for casting the thousands of propeller blades was a small framed fellow named Mike. Mike had been a hard rock mountain miner in his youth and was known as 'Chile Pepper" because of his short temper. Mike was left handed and we ragged him often about it hoping to 'get a rise' out of that temper and sometimes did.

On a hot summer afternoon, I had gone into the layup room to ask Mike something. He set the box cutter knife down from his left hand and reached over and turned down his country music radio (as he always did so he could hear me). I started out with yet another wise crack about his left handed knife actions and he launched. He said;

"David, we make more left hand blades than we do right hand ones and being left handed makes me better at doing that. And furthermore, your CNC guy Bill is left handed as well as two of my helpers and the shipping guy. Without left handed people around here you wouldn't have these damned propellers to ship".

I responded right away "Mike, you make good right hand propellers OK". Mike said "yea, but it is harder to do and I don't like it". I said "Mike, you don't like much of anything around here, do you?" (This was rising up nicely now).

Mike stopped, put both hands up on the layup table, and took a slow breath while looking right at me. (I thought 'O-boy', I've gone too far, he's getting ready to quit).

He slowly said "David, you know I'm a 'God fearing man'? I said simply "yes". And he said "and you know that me and the wife, Carole go to our church every Sunday." "Yes" I quietly answered.

Then he seriously said "I have acquired special knowledge and have come to know that we are all born by the grace of God" (By this time I was just nodding.) and further by the grace of God, ALL children are born left handed." At this I quit nodding and just looked at him, Then he dropped it on me.

After a pregnant pause, he said "and they stay left handed until they commit their first sin!" Another pause and Mike said "you might have noticed how well I cast stones with my left hand."

By this measure, we would all know that Plum is right handed, but he makes good left hand propellers as well.

Water Walker

'
Working to make airboating better
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

bowgarguide wrote:I notice some have the steering stick on the left and some have it on the right . Is there any advantage to either one?
Ron
Personally, I think its up to the builder and user and understanding ergonomics! Your body "shoulders" should shift to direction with the stick! Running a side by side gear drive is best suited to the heavy load on the right side for torque roll if you have that problem running alone? Reverse the stick and it should reverse the steering for a comfortable ride. Basically do a haymaker punch and thats your stick and boat direction. A left stick is traditional for AC/GPU/DD and frogging.

I've seen a few boats backwards to be lefty but it was not built to be a lefty. Push forward with your left hand and go left. That's backwards to the norm. A lefty would be better suited to push forward with there right and go left.
I was switched by a 1st grade british teacher that said no after every question and she could not teach left handed kids? Talk about screwing up young minds! But overall the stick and seat position is optional to comfort and function for the user.

Return to “Airboat Tech”