Where does the oil go?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Where does the oil go?

Post by Ol Yeller »

Why is it that when I change oil in my airboat or truck, I never get out the same as I put in it? My pickup takes 5.5 quarts of oil. When I pour the old oil back into the jug the new oil came out of, I only get a little over 4 quarts. I always change the filter, pour it into the pan, and let the oil drain completely out of the truck. My truck doesn't burn or leak oil. So I wonder why I'm always short. I could believe that a quart or so is still stuck up in the valve train and sides. But after changing the oil for the fifth time, wouldn't I have 5 extra quarts in the crank case? I don't think this question can be answered.

dshaw94
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Where does the oil go?

Post by dshaw94 »

Sure it can, some of the oil is obviously still trapped in the filter element, but the majority of your oil is burnt or more correctly stated consumed by your engine. You said your engine doesn't "burn" or leak oil, well all engines burn oil. We generally consider an engine to be burning oil when it is greater than a certain amount, but all engines consume some oil even if its a negligible amount. You have simply found out what a lot of people would find if they put there spent oil into a container where it could be measured. Most vehicle manufacturers state in there owners manuals that oil consumption of up to 1.5 quarts per oil change is normal and acceptable oil usage, I personally feel that's high, however almost all engines will use between .25 and .5 quarts in 5000 miles.
We all got it coming, kid. (William Money)

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

Interesting. I would also have to say that after changing the oil and filter and putting in the amount of oil the manual calls for, it's always a little past full on the dip stick. Thanks for the explanation.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Didn't think this thread had much to do with Alaska Airboating, so I moved it here to Airboat tech.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Engines burn oil, some more than others, check the oil level today, then check it after two tankfulls of fuel is burned. Even engines with total seal rings burn oil. Nature of the beast.
I never finish anyth,,,.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

If ur boat is ac, the answer would be that its leaving it in the trail. :D
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Oleboy87
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Oleboy87 »

:) wrote:If ur boat is ac, the answer would be that its leaving it in the trail. :D

Gotta give the CM boats something to slide on!!

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Are you missing a sock on every laundry event TOO! LOL

I hate that feeling but, I can blame it on the bermuda triangle? Quart and a half does seem to be excessive in 5000 miles though?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Not really, my F150 will use up 2-3 qts after about 3 tankfulls the Tritons have skinny rings so they do eat oil, Lucas oil stab. helps a little bit.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

John Fenner wrote:Not really, my F150 will use up 2-3 qts after about 3 tankfulls the Tritons have skinny rings so they do eat oil, Lucas oil stab. helps a little bit.

I guess i'm doing good then? My tacoma burns .2 - .3 quarts after 170K and my f350 king ranch is about the same after 5K intervals.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Oleboy87 wrote:
:) wrote:If ur boat is ac, the answer would be that its leaving it in the trail. :D

And I appreciate it! Lmao
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy »

Oleboy87 wrote:

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!! :thumbleft: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Airboat Tech”