Finally-I'm building my boat

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby pipedog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks Jeff, I knew you would take care of me!! Good way to piss the neighbors with a little blast.....good thing there not my neighbors :lol: :lol:
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: Redlands

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby Gary S » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Sounds like it's ready for the water.

User avatar
PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: IN THE SOUTH

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby PAINKILLER » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Just saw your video that's a bad machine ya got there sounds good :thumbleft:
Psalms 101:7 No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am

Could you please make a list of what kind of engine, propeller/hub, hull, fan cage, and control console etc. and how much for each parts?
I am in China, There is no airboat here, but I have several friends like it, so we wanna to make it ourself, and some part maybe purchase from USA. It will easy if yor or other kind guy who is experienced to help us and give some advice.

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:04 am

Nice video, sounds power full.
Have you done the thrust test ?

User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby pipedog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 pm

sanshandaobojue wrote:Could you please make a list of what kind of engine, propeller/hub, hull, fan cage, and control console etc. and how much for each parts?
I am in China, There is no airboat here, but I have several friends like it, so we wanna to make it ourself, and some part maybe purchase from USA. It will easy if yor or other kind guy who is experienced to help us and give some advice.

Hey sanshandaobojue it has a GM LS motor, but you can use almost any kind of motor. Thats the fun of building a airboat, there are no set way of building one. There are several airboat web sites that sell parts, you can get a idea on the cost of parts or look at them and build your own parts! Look thru my build and any other builds on here to get ideas. Also you can weld a aluminum hull instead of riveting, it will save time. You should start a Post on here about building your boat. I will look forward to seeing your boat!!
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:37 pm

pipedog wrote:Image

Hi, I notice u used a manual butterfly tool temporary fixed the plate and T bar together before rivet.
What the name of this tool, can i buy it from ebay?
And why you use rivet not welding? Looks like rivet will cost more time than welding, and must 2 guy work together than welding can be done by one guy.

User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby pipedog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm

you can weld the hull, there are lots of welded boats and yes it will save time. The temporary fasteners are called cleco, they hold pieces together will riveting
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: Redlands

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby Gary S » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:52 am

Depends on material you use. 6061 you can use. 7075 is too hard. It will crack if you weld it. 7075 isn't as bad at bending. The tool you asked about is a cleco.
It

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am

pipedog wrote:you can weld the hull, there are lots of welded boats and yes it will save time. The temporary fasteners are called cleco, they hold pieces together will riveting

thanks. i got it from ebay.

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 am

Gary S wrote:Depends on material you use. 6061 you can use. 7075 is too hard. It will crack if you weld it. 7075 isn't as bad at bending. The tool you asked about is a cleco.
It

I am make my plan for built a 12' airboat, maybe I will use 6061 T4 and welding. thanks for your help.

User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby pipedog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm

sanshandaobojue wrote:
pipedog wrote:you can weld the hull, there are lots of welded boats and yes it will save time. The temporary fasteners are called cleco, they hold pieces together will riveting

thanks. i got it from ebay.

What type of power do you want to use?? You should start your own boat build thread, it would be cool to see. Also I'm curious to see the type of area you can ride!!! Send some pic's :salute:
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 am

pipedog wrote:
sanshandaobojue wrote:
pipedog wrote:you can weld the hull, there are lots of welded boats and yes it will save time. The temporary fasteners are called cleco, they hold pieces together will riveting

thanks. i got it from ebay.

What type of power do you want to use?? You should start your own boat build thread, it would be cool to see. Also I'm curious to see the type of area you can ride!!! Send some pic's :salute:

Thanks accturally i am Naval architect of ship/offshore design with bachelor degree, usually I design something big( VLCC, bulk carrier, drilling ship), but not so "small". I have ever work in USA Houston 10years before, I like the feeling of airboat in the shallow marsh water. So now I want make airboat for me and several friends.There is no airboat club or any manufacture in China, there is no more than 10 airboats within China as I known and I first saw them in Tianjin China 15 ys before, all of them mainly use for seismic work in shallow sea water.
I couldn't get carbon fibre propeller for airboat in China, so I think I will order it from USA in the future, there is some wood propeller for RC plane and powered parachute and I couldn't get big engine more than 300PS or HP, there is only some engine like 1.6L or 2.0T the power is up to 240HP, so I make a plan for 3 steps, base on the experience, finally I hope I can get a power full airboat with 500HP.

Step I, a mini airboat, I have a 12 hp diesel engine, air cooling, and with wood propeller 40"x22" for power parachute, aluminium hull 10'x3'.
Step 2, a 100~200 hp airboat, and with aluminium hull 14'x6'. 68"x3 blade carbon fiber CPP propeller, that is biggest propeller I can found in China.
Setp 3, a 500hp airboat, and with same hull in step 2. the propeller shall be 70"x4 blad carbon fiber CPP propeller from USA , also the engine from USA.

I know the engine power should fit for the propeller, and every thing shall be calculater first, I have experience in ship propeller design, but I have no knowledge in aero propeller, and how to chose propeller.Hopelly I can finish these 3 step within 1 year. I will update some pic hours later.

User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby pipedog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 pm

sanshandaobojue sounds good :thumbleft: now it's time to get to work!! Keep doing research you may change your build the more you learn!
13'6" Combee 454 dd - "Q" blade

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Finally-I'm building my boat

Postby sanshandaobojue » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:33 am

pipedog wrote:sanshandaobojue sounds good :thumbleft: now it's time to get to work!! Keep doing research you may change your build the more you learn!

I think I should post a new page, please continues help me and give advices.


Return to “Airboat Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests