NAGR EMAIL Today

A 2nd Amendment discussion.
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

NAGR EMAIL Today

Post by Whitebear »

NAGR reports that "Politico" says that the NRA is in secret meetings with a Senator and speculates that the NRA is about to sell us out. I still haven't forgot or forgiven being sold out years ago on our Class III guns by the NRA. If anybody is interested I will post the whole email otherwise, just a heads up.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: NAGR EMAIL Today

Post by wildcard »

from what is going on the nra is just another form of goverment,more sh#t to listen to and hope for the best in the long run :rebel:
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

I think the NRA does good work, I just don't trust that they are 100% on the same side I am. I like them to a point, but I am always worried when they will turn the cards on us.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Whitebear wrote:I think the NRA does good work, I just don't trust that they are 100% on the same side I am. I like them to a point, but I am always worried when they will turn the cards on us.
I don't see that happening, Scotty. The report you referred to is probably just some wishful thinking on the part of someone who's anti-gun.
If they (NRA) were to do that they'd be turning their back on their life blood, the average citizen gun owner who supplies most of their financial support.
What would they have to gain? In addition to being a life member I also support their NRA-ILA, the lobbyist side of things, and in
the correspondence I've seen from the ILA there isn't even a whiff of evidence that they have any intentions whatsoever of seeking
compromise with the government.

I wouldn't worry, and thank God that they exist. Where would you and I turn to next if they were no longer around?
Last edited by Olf Art on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
mike99705
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mike99705 »

The NRA will sell you down the river then beg you for money to do it again
8 x 15 alumitech 383 mas from gto 3 blade r 2.3 belt
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

mike99705 wrote:The NRA will sell you down the river then beg you for money to do it again
OK. So what are you suggesting that we do? Who do you suggest will represent us better? Just askin ....

By the way, Mike. Are you an NRA member?
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Ken, if the NRA will stay the course and offer no compromise, I don't think anyone else could represent us as good or any better.

I'm trying to see a reason for NAGR to be reporting from "Politico" if they aren't fairly certain it is true, or at least something to it. What I don't know is if there is a feud between NRA and NAGR.

MAYBE the NRA learned something after they sold out our full autos. MAYBE they aren't the same organization today they were then. Ya see, right now I am supporting both organizations. I have a lingering mistrust issue because they cost me around $1,300 and a really nice FNC back then. They claim they took the lesser of two evils and gave up our full auto fight in favor of one they liked better. Whats to keep them from doing the same thing this time around? I don't know, I just worry about it a LOT.

Anybody know who "Politico" is?

I'm going to include the NAGR Email so everyone can see the text and the CONTEXT.

"Dear Scotty,

It's happening...

According to Politico, Sen. Joe Manchin is in secret negotiations with unnamed NRA officials to sell out our gun rights.

I've warned you from the beginning that our gravest danger was an inside-Washington driven deal.

As Politico put it in an exclusive article entitled "NRA, Manchin Talking" this past Saturday, March 23rd, "a Manchin-NRA deal could draw in enough Republicans and red-state Democrats to defeat an expected GOP filibuster of the overall gun control bill."

And holding the filibuster will be critical to this battle. If 41 Senators hold firm, no gun control passes the Senate this year . . . PERIOD.

Scotty, I desperately need your help to fight back.

You see, I'm pulling out all the stops on a massive nationwide grassroots lobbying program making one thing clear:

NO COMPROMISE! NO SELL OUT! NOT NOW, NOT EVER!

But right now, I'm still $180,000 short to launch this critical plan:

Direct mail. Phones. Email. Hard-hitting internet, newspaper, radio and even TV ads. The whole nine yards.

But I need to reach my goal by tomorrow at midnight...

If you've already contributed, thank you, PLEASE forward this to every pro-gunner you know.

And if you haven't yet contributed to this program, its more important now then EVER.

Please make an emergency contribution of $25, $50, or even $75 today.

I simply can't do this without you.

Here's a link to our TV ad calling out Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia for supporting gun control.

With your contribution, we'll expand to at least 10 more states where I expect a possible sell-out on gun control:

Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska, Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, and Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota and more."
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Kinda spooky. I see the reason for your concern. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how all this shakes out.
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

There are two articles on Politco that I think are relevent to this scenario. The second one was the subject of this thread, however, I include the other one first as it's from the same source and makes it a little easier to keep the second one in context.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/t ... 89296.html
The first one expands on Jim Baker who is the NRAs main lobbyist, has been around a long time, and by all counts is to be trusted. The only reference to Joe Manchin in this article is a statement that he is compiling the package that the Dems will push on the floor. We already knew that, so that's nothing to get excited about.

. . . . .Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) has said he is continuing talks with the NRA over
. . . . .background check legislation that he hopes to have in a final package that
. . . . .Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is expected bring to the floor in April.

The second article, which is evidently the one that has the NAGR all excited is here:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/n ... 89250.html

In this article Politco does in fact talk about Manchin and seems to (IMO) jump to the conclusion that just because they are talking, that is to interpreted as the NRA is caving and going to give in. I don't see that.

. . . . .That the NRA is even talking with Manchin suggests there’s at least some room for negotiation
. . . . .for the group — despite its public posture against tougher gun laws, several sources say.

Just because they are talking, doesn't mean they are caving. Baker is very likely doing recon to see who is where (where the vote is concerned) and at he same time trying to help Manchin come up with a means of humoring Harry Ried and his demand that background check be made tougher. To me, that doesn't mean the NRA has bailed as the NAGR would have you believe.

There are number of Dems who feel the current bill relating to background checks is "to expansive" and would not blindly go along with the current language for that reason.
. . . . .“Right now, that bill doesn’t get to 60 votes,” Begich said of the current Democratic guns package.

All in all, I guess a person could interpret all this anyway they want to. The overall impression I get is that the NAGR is sensationalizing the current (and necessary) talks between Manchin and the NRA in an effort to feed their coffers.

With all that having been said, I agree with whoever said (I think it was Cntry) that a wise man would watch the other hand that is out of the spotlight. The fact that we will have all this splattered all over the news and in our face for at least the next month, makes a man wonder what the other hand is doing.

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Gun Rights”