Post by BOONSNAPPER »

The new gm 5.3 suburban engine is called an ecotec. All aluminum design
Hope nobody is disapointed.
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: New ecotec concerns

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

The new 5.3L V8 Ecotec is also direct injected. Would make a perfect airboat engine.

The new 2014 4.3L Gen 3 Ecotec V6 that comes in the Silverado trucks is turning an 80 inch Maximus with 9 degrees at the tip of the blade and the engine is turning 5500 rpm. John C is going to put in more pitch to get the rpm's down to about 5100. John ran with his friend who has a 383 Stroker and it could not out perform Johns new V6.
John called me and said he was way more satisfied than he though he would be.

Thanks, Chuck
John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

I'll try to get some pics posted in a few day if I can. But Chuck is right. Chuck put together a 4.3 direct injected 6 cyl ecotec for me. I didn't want to go with a turbo engine. So I decided to add 2 more cylinders instead and run a 6 cyl N/A motor. The motor is spinning an 80" 2 blade Maximus. The motor is turning 5500 rpm WOT with the pitch mark set in the middle of the Hub space. The Maximus only has one mark on the hub. The gearbox is a 2.5 Ox Box. which is a direct bolt up to the 4.3, no adapter plate needed. Its on a 13' Hull with stainless rigging. The boat will run dry effortlessly. I am NOT trying to compare this rig to any other 8 cyl. boat. It is not going to run with an LS motor or a strong built 383. But it is impressive for a stock 6 cyl. right out of the truck. Its 285 HP from the factory. But with the sport tune the motor should be Approximately in the 320-325 HP range. I would compare it to a SV 0540 motor on the same rig. I only have 4-5 hours on the boat so far. That's why I haven't posted yet. I need to do some fine tuning and play with the prop pitch a little before I can get a real evaluation on the set up. But so far so good that Ox Box is as smooth as silk and the boat is very quiet. It is a nice alternative and I no longer have to buy AV gas.
DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

Sounds like a sweet little setup! Nicely done chuck and always like to hear about new power packages making their way into the industry. The DI motors as well as the Ford Ecoboost are really looking like great alternatives to the "norm". Exciting times for sure. Be best to see where we'll be in 15yrs and what motors have been proven performers and are the new "norm".
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

In reguards to ecotec operators...
What are you guys using to monitor engines
Gauges
Odb2 displays
Any mechanical gauges
Mini screens
Ect
stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stonny9 »

BOONSNAPPER wrote:In reguards to ecotec operators...
What are you guys using to monitor engines
Gauges
Odb2 displays
Any mechanical gauges
Mini screens
Ect
I dont know personally but I have used this in my Chevy Cobalt. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

It can read and clear codes. Not waterproof though I will say it saved me when my throttle body went bad and car kept going into limp mode. I just kept clearing the code to get home. Torque is also a popular OBD2 app for phones which could be a good backup.
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Saw a youtube vid of a 1.4L ecotec I believe chuck put up and it showed rpm and other displayed on his phone .... Looked like a pretty good set up.
If any one knows what program or app this was please pipe in.
Thanks
Bagman
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Bagman »

download the Torque app on your phone and pick up a bluetooth dongle off ebay.
14 x 7' 10" DynaMarine Velocity, 2.5 Ballistic gear drive, Supercharged LS, 3 blade NGR
Whiplash Performance Marine
flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

John C wrote:I'll try to get some pics posted in a few day if I can. But Chuck is right. Chuck put together a 4.3 direct injected 6 cyl ecotec for me. I didn't want to go with a turbo engine. So I decided to add 2 more cylinders instead and run a 6 cyl N/A motor. The motor is spinning an 80" 2 blade Maximus. The motor is turning 5500 rpm WOT with the pitch mark set in the middle of the Hub space. The Maximus only has one mark on the hub. The gearbox is a 2.5 Ox Box. which is a direct bolt up to the 4.3, no adapter plate needed.
Wonder how a 2.3 ratio would work on this one?
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4
scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll »

I like the torque app for my lq4 6.0 Chevy Engine.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-12-13-10-53-43.png
Screenshot_2015-10-24-17-53-19.png
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Torque seems to be usable with the android platform .. Is any one using torque with the iphone?
I found an app with good reviews called odb fusion. I down loaded and it looks pretty good. Now waiting on the dongle wifi for it to come in. Will report after review.
John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

flying fish wrote:
John C wrote:I'll try to get some pics posted in a few day if I can. But Chuck is right. Chuck put together a 4.3 direct injected 6 cyl ecotec for me. I didn't want to go with a turbo engine. So I decided to add 2 more cylinders instead and run a 6 cyl N/A motor. The motor is spinning an 80" 2 blade Maximus. The motor is turning 5500 rpm WOT with the pitch mark set in the middle of the Hub space. The Maximus only has one mark on the hub. The gearbox is a 2.5 Ox Box. which is a direct bolt up to the 4.3, no adapter plate needed.
Wonder how a 2.3 ratio would work on this one?
Chuck thought the 2.3 might be a better choice. Andrew at Water Walker, and myself thought the 2.5 might help it swing a little bigger blade. To my knowledge this is the first 6 cyl 4.3 ecotec motor on an airboat. We had to start somewhere. since the motor does not have a turbo, we thought a little more gear would help it swing that 80" Maximus. I took the boat out yesterday. It is the first time I had a chance to run it with 2 people loaded with gear for duck hunting. Full fuel tank, cooler, guns, Blind material for 2 blinds, shell boxes, 2 full decoy bags etc. She ran dry and climbed 2 levee's with ease. Lots of low end push, the sacrifice is top end speed. She just will hit 40 mph. But that's how the boat was set up. I want low end push. I don't need to run 40+ mph. There is no way to get both out of this 6cyl IMO.
flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

John C
I like the bottom end push also. Ran a 3 blade 82" Sirius for a long time behind a 550 Mast.

Have been talking to Andrew about running a 3 blade 86" Sirius on my current boat. Waiting on a hub :)
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

The 2.38 would still be a better choice and it would still turn the 80 inch 2 blade Maximus. We found the Maximus blades have a better attack angle at 5.5 to 7.5 degrees at the tip of the blade. ( Due to the big cup in the blades ). The boat would be faster, cruse rpm's would be lower, and it would still climb the hills just as good. Adding to this is the Ecotec Gen 3 Engine. Pushing the pedal to the floor can give you maximum torque around 2000 rpm's. The VVT cam adjust to give you torque when needed. The Direct Injection creates better combustion and is cut off the instant you let off the throttle leaving no fuel to be wasted in the exhaust.
John's V6 is the first one we have set up. I also told John it would work great when he ask me what I thought. It is an Ecotec and I know what they will do.
We do have to remove his reduction unit to install a new torque plate. Only 3 bolt holes lined up with the flex plate holes. The holes on the V6 are symmetrical so Brain at OX Drives is getting some made. It will be OK to run the 3 bolts for awhile.
It would good if John could GPS some fuel use results with the 2.55 and get Brain to let him use a 2.38 to get results when the torque plate is changed. Making records like this could benefit everyone.

Thanks, Chuck
Joe863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Joe863 »

This is great. I was driving our 2015 4.3 Silverado work truck yesterday and was impressed with it. I immediately started wondering what one would do on an airboat. Love seeing different engines utilized
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Does anyone know the average weight of a 24x48 airfoil rudder?
Trying to see where I stand
DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

About 7-10lbs tops
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

But at what cost .... ???? This is taking the cost of building an airboat completely out of the reach of some blue collar guy who just wants to take his wife and kids to the river on the weekends. As much as y'all see this as progress, I see it as making / building an airboat completely impossible for the average Joe. Ecotec engines, computers, reduction gearboxes, big-ass carbon fiber props? Really?

In my opinion what the world really needs is a lot less high tech BS and a lot more gettin' back to basics. Yeah, I know. I'm gettin' old and cranky, but I'll probably never change so y'all are just stuck with me till I fall off the perch. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Haaa.... Ole fart is right.. All we need is one solar flare and all the high tech digital bs will go in one big pile and as he says.... Back to basics. And carbs will be back in style.
But with that said i built some very stout foam board core air foil rudders with aluminum wrap that weigh 16 lbs ea.. Hope this doesent bite me in the a$$.
But they are very stout. All i can do is give em a spin and if need be i can break em down and start over.
Some times doin things for yourself and being slightly off center is better than throwing money at a project.
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

BOONSNAPPER wrote:Haaa.... Ole fart is right.. All we need is one solar flare and all the high tech digital bs will go in one big pile and as he says.... Back to basics. And carbs will be back in style.
But with that said i built some very stout foam board core air foil rudders with aluminum wrap that weigh 16 lbs ea.. Hope this doesent bite me in the a$$. But they are very stout. All i can do is give em a spin and if need be i can break em down and start over.
Some times doin things for yourself and being slightly off center is better than throwing money at a project.
Back a few years ago when I was still living up in N. Florida, a retired aerospace engineer built a bigass sailing catamaran down near St. Augustine. The thing was probably close to 60' long, and the entire structure of the twin hulls was 1/4" foam planks laid up in layers separated with aluminum foil. All of that was rolled out and epoxied together at a thickness that looked to be around 4".

Compared to conventional construction that boat weighed nothing, but it was stronger than if it had been built with steel. Plus ..... it was unsinkable!
I love 'outside the box' thinking.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Well i finally finished my build ... Below is a link if anyone interested.
Gotta say i like this boat.

[youtube][/youtube]Check out this video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/y3HEguHM5Ck
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

Turned out really nice!!!
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Thanks

My hat is off to those who build these boats.
Whole lot to think about when building.
Thanks to all who assisted with input.
BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BOONSNAPPER »

Well following up on my rig.
So far not a problem with this setup.
Very fuel effeciant and running 18 psi boost.
Rig is super quiet and goes where ever i point it.
Little engine is very impressive at 300 hrs of operation.
Been on dry marsh , tall grass, up levees , over alot of different terain.
The ballistic gear has proved to be a great choice with the prop.
Can reakly say nothing bad about the boat.
Gonna keep rollin and see where this leads.
OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC »

Good to hear!

Mine is still running strong too. Great little motors for sure.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Return to “Automotive Power Only”