PTR34'S ECOTECH VS AIRCRAFT

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
LSX1
Southern Airboat Member

PTR34'S ECOTECH VS AIRCRAFT

Post by LSX1 »

Ok PTR34 what's the pro's and con's of your ECO vs G0480 boats. Does it run faster, cruise better, how is it on the hill, fuel mileage... and anything else that you like or disliked between your two boats. I have two AIRCRAFT boats, a 11'6 HAMANT AV0360 AND A 11' THURMAN SLED 0520. I'm wanting a new boat and would like to know the difference between your two boats, or any other ECO vs AIRCRAFT boats. THANKS LSX1
ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: PTR34'S ECOTECH VS AIRCRAFT

Post by ptr34 »

It's pretty close to my go480. We are still working on the tune to get it to respond more like a a/c motor does. The engine builder is taking boat with him to be able to have unlimited time to get it tuned the way I want it to run. Going to try different turbos and tunes. Main difference between 2 boats on hill is the ecotec has poly and go480 has slick bottom. but it still runs hill great and gets great gas mileage. Speed is close also. But never ran them again each other. Like most ecotecs running now with a car tune the have a good amount of lag. Some are worae than others and that's why we are still working on a airboat tune.
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34
LSX1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LSX1 »

Thanks Terry that's what I hoped you would say, been wanting to get away from the av gas and cost of repairs in Aircraft Engines. I like 10' to 11' boats, that's why I want a eco instead of a v8. Thanks LSX1
Sniper25
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Sniper25 »

Is there any update on how the new tune is going?
14' Laser / 520 Cont.
Losing faith in humanity one person at a time!!!
ptr34
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ptr34 »

Yes did a turbo change for faster spooling. And tuning is going good
if u don't run dry .then should have gotten a bassboat
tons videos on YouTube ptr34
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

I don't know of anyone using a car tune. If you use the GM ECM, you have to start out with their base tune. A manual transmission base tune is best. Then make the changes you need to make it run standalone and to get the best performance for your airboat tune. All of our tunes for the past 5 years have been airboat specific tunes. On Turbo engines we hold the max boost to around 22 psi.
Thanks, Chuck
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

chuckitt@earthlink.net wrote: On Turbo engines we hold the max boost to around 22 psi.
Thanks, Chuck
Chicken. :stirpot:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Not Chicken, we don't blow any engines.
Chuck
muffled500hp
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by muffled500hp »

I rode on both, eco and a/c powered boats that Terry has. I would say the a/c engine boat had a faster top end speed but both performed great. The little turbo Eco engine ran dry with four oversized adults with no problems. It was also quieter than the a/c engine plus no avgas!
Keith ~~

Modern Performance Engines, LLC
Custom built engines for airboats, hotrods, mud trucks, buggies, circle track and drag racing!

352-282-6407
MPEKeith@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/modernperformanceenginesllc
Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

How are they coming out of the water? Are the ecos sluggish and do they feel heavy? Does a naturally aspirated have more snap than a turbo due to not having to wait for the turbo to spool?
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

The factory turbo's are dual scroll and with help from the variable valve timing, you want notice any turbo lag. That is why the LTG engine develops maximum torque at 1700 rpm. The other 2.0L turbo engines gets max torque around 2000 rpm and they use the dual scroll turbo also. Adding a bigger turbo will give you more HP on top end but will also narrow your torque curve.
They are not sluggish, they don't feel heavy, and don't have to wait for the turbo to spool.

Thanks, Chuck
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

delete
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

muffled500hp wrote:I rode on both, eco and a/c powered boats that Terry has. I would say the a/c engine boat had a faster top end speed but both performed great. The little turbo Eco engine ran dry with four oversized adults with no problems. It was also quieter than the a/c engine plus no avgas!
No problems? ??
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

chuckitt@earthlink.net wrote:Not Chicken, we don't blow any engines.
Chuck
It's a joke, Chuck. Don't be so serious.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT »

What are the internal's of the 480. Is it stock or has the engine been modified? ie higher comp. pistons etc....
muffled500hp
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by muffled500hp »

Tony480 wrote:
muffled500hp wrote:I rode on both, eco and a/c powered boats that Terry has. I would say the a/c engine boat had a faster top end speed but both performed great. The little turbo Eco engine ran dry with four oversized adults with no problems. It was also quieter than the a/c engine plus no avgas!
No problems? ??
Not on the day we ran it with four big adults. :lol:
Keith ~~

Modern Performance Engines, LLC
Custom built engines for airboats, hotrods, mud trucks, buggies, circle track and drag racing!

352-282-6407
MPEKeith@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/modernperformanceenginesllc
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

From what I here, it ran good but it was not perfect. Terry done right by letting ALFA-FAB take it back to work on the tune. The calibration file has to be programed different than your car. The first Ecotec we done took 8 updates to get it perfect. The airboat tune is a standalone calibration that has many items that has to be deleted, VATS, EVAP, CAT, #2 02 Sensor, Just to name a few and set up to run without the info from these sensors. When the Tuner gets it right for the airboat, then they know how to do the calibration files for future airboat tunes on other ECM's. Most standalone tunes sell for about 500 dollars. Some of the older engines could cost less and some on the newer engines could cost more. The LF3 Twin Turbo is $ 960.00. The Tuner has to learn the advancements the manufacture made from year to year and changes they made to the base files. When Terry gets the boat back it will run perfect and you will see just how good an Ecotec engine is for airboats.
Thanks, Chuck

Return to “Automotive Power Only”