EcoTech - 2.0 w 2.3 reduction airboat package questions

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

EcoTech - 2.0 w 2.3 reduction airboat package questions

Post by Daddy Dave »

EcoChuck says : "the Generation 2 Ecotec 2.0L Turbo LTG ( 122 cu in ). The airboat set-up for this engine will produce about 320 HP and 360 ft lb torque. Hooked to a 2.3 reduction would produce about 828 ft lbs torque at the prop shaft. Maximum torque at 1700 rpm and maintained to 5500 rpm. It weights just over 1/2 of the old Caddy. The Cadillac power will live on."

So far, I'm impressed with a naturally aspirated 1.8 EcoTech package, now owned by George Thomas. It sports a Century belt reduction.

Have been told the first direct attached Ballistic reduction gear unit is "on the truck" headed back to Florida.

No word on when or if a similar Stinger, Rotator, Blue Lightning or OxBox is in production or prototyping.

Don't know whether that Ballistic "airboat package" is attached to your engine setup or someone else's.

How far away is a bullet proof ECU airboat plug and play wiring conversion that is guaranteed to work without the need of a cat converter?
Last edited by Daddy Dave on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: EcoTech - 2.0 w 2.3 reduction airboat package questions

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

Hey Dave, the direct fit gear reductions are not on the truck, a couple weeks delay due to boat shows.
The GM ECM's are bullet proof and we have a standalone weather proof fuse and relay panel now. We just don't have it plug and play for now. We can tune for cat or no cat. With the cat we would use 2 o2 sensors. I hope to have it plug and play before the end of this year.
Thanks, Chuck
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Has anyone tried the Ecotec LSJ? I don't know how much lag the small turbo has but the LSJ uses a supercharger; boost from the git-go.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

We done a LSJ for Billy out of Texas. We got him about 250 HP from the 220 HP package. The difference is the LNF and LHU engines have VVT. This adjust the valves for more torque at lower RPM. Maximum torque at about 2000 RPM. You don't notice any turbo lag.
Thanks, Chuck
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

If I can get the same thrust numbers out of the LTG motor that Russ gets out of his LHU (1400 pounds of thrust on dave simsons thrust tester) then I should have almost the same amount of thrust as the boat weighs (give or take a hundred pounds). I am going to start this boat with slickbottom just to see what kind of gas mileage numbers we can get. The new generation ecotechs are supposed to be even more fuel efficient and quieter than the previous years. As I have stated before I will be leaving the catalytic convertor on and using a muffler as well. I hope to not be able to hear any engine noise. I am not going to speculate on the MPG numbers that I expect to see but I will say that if they are even close to what I believe they will be, that it is going to be a game changer for the smaller airboat package. Hell it may even do 69 in 400 feet. :lol: :lol: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

marty b.jpg
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

I will bet on it JB. :stirpot:
Chuck
Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

JB550 -- BaddAZZ Al David -- Damn It Man!!!

It may be a trade secret .. but, what are you doing about the wiring harness and ECU for your EcoTech for airboat use and saltwater or marsh weather exposure?? Cant wait to see this one ..
Last edited by Daddy Dave on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand
Joe863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Joe863 »

Love all the new technology crossing over to airboats.
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

What is the cost of one ready to put on boat prop,gear box,and brain. Doug
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Dave, all the connectors on the wiring harness are weather sealed. The ECM is water proof. Our new fuse and relay panel is sealed.
Thanks, Chuck

Dougeey, I would have to see your boat before I could quote a price. We put together more than one size Ecotec. The price varies.
Thanks, Chuck
B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

What would the price be for one to put on a 100lbs step hull rigged out with super light weight metal works? 1 to be hauled to some TnT's.........I'm talking about a nasty little pump gas set-up to go bust Waterthunders Unlimited DD's azz!!!
Devil in the Bottle 83 ProMod
Marsh Master Step
Carbon Fiber Rudders by:HAMMERHEAD AVIATION.com
Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX
chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Hey B-White, come see me.
Thanks, Chuck
br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by br,lc,LA »

All,

I do not have the new sealed fuse/relay panel but I can vouch for GM's top notch work on their ECMs... They survive a good sinking! We pulled my 1.4L Turbo off the bottom... we changed the fluids and fired it off like any other engine. I had to swap a few bad sensors and eventually the starter like any other motor the takes a drink... Do not worry about the electronics, they survive just as well as the engines now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4o70bUE-s
12x7'6" American Airboat
1.4L GM Ecotec - BNR GTX250 Turbo
2:1 Century Ecotec Drive
2-bld Whisper Tip 72
"Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

Return to “Automotive Power Only”