Unbelievable Airboat Ability

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Unbelievable Airboat Ability

Post by gyrocopter582 »

I spent 3 hours on 'OneBfc' (Russ) ECOtec boat Sunday.
We planned on a short ride.
We went south of Camp Holly.
I have to tell all of you old school doubters, that this boat will change your mind.
I watched in amazement as this aluminum deck-over with two people,
climbed RIDICULOUS inclines. You could hear the boost from the turbo coming on.
Keep in mind this engine is only 120 cubic inches, less than two 540 aircraft cylinder capacity.
Most of our ride was Through tight trails, with the engine running just off idle.
Russ is gentle with the thrust pedal, using just enough to get on, and maintain a plane.
I drove it, and I found only slightly off idle would plane the boat, and maintain a 'cruise'
speed. The amount of 'pedal' left was astounding, I held it wide open for about 7 seconds,
and couldn't believe how the thrust multiplied with every second, as well as the ground speed.
We got lost and plowed along a two lane vehicle road effortlessly, for about a mile,
NO change in engine temperature. I felt bad for my poor directions, imagining the wear on the poly.
I forgot he has half inch poly on it. I drove home thinking this has to be the ultimate power to weight
ratio engine package one could buy. 400 horsepower, with 1400 pounds of thrust, weighing 300 pounds.
Russ told me this boat weighs 1700 pounds. That's real close to a 1:1 thrust-to-weight ratio.
Now just imagine shaving 400 pounds from the overall weight....
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Unbelievable Airboat Ability

Post by digginfool »

A good friend of mine has a blown GPU. I told him he needs to consider junking the GPU and doing an Ecotec conversion. I'm sold on the idea. If I ever build a small boat, odds are very high that's what will power mine.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

the boat that I am finishing up in March will have that same engine thrust package but only weigh about a thousand pounds. Should be real fun to drive
DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

Game changer :)
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com
gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Post by gyrocopter582 »

Digginfool, just so you understand,
This power plant is not powering a "small boat".
I think Russ' boat is 14 foot,
an aluminum deck over.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

I understand but just the same at this point I would be a bit hesitant to power my current boat with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY »

Gyro- did you take any pics of the boat?
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

20130831_140236_319.jpg
this is a picture of the boat with 8 grown men running green grass in front of polluted waters
Cooter69
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cooter69 »

I want one !!!!!!! :lol:

We were riding Potts preserve a couple of months ago and a deck over rode up hardly under power and it was flying. Two people, it ran ground effortlessly and the fuel mileage this guy bosted was unbelievable

Cooter

:proud: :rebel:
Crazy Cooter
USMC

14 " Seminole SS rigging with 0540 Angle valve 6 blade warp drive.
OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC »

That was me in pots and is the same boat Mike rode on over the weekend. (Edit: it may not have been me actually. It's been more like 4 months since I was in pots)

It's a good setup for sure.

Jeff boat is going to be at a 1.3 thrust to weight ratio. My boat is a measly 0.7 ratio and it's a go anywhere machine. Jeff will have a nasty ride when it's done.

Thanks for showing me around Mike. No worries on the directions. As long as it's legal to be there we were good!

Couple of minor tweaks to Mikes numbers. The boat has 3/8 poly that came in at 0.415" for some reason. Also, we produced just under 1400lbs officially but there's a little extra left with a spark plug gap adjustment.

I believe the prop is too small for best numbers but the 76" is all I can fit before the deck comes into contact.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy
yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

Any decent fab shop could cut your transom and deck to a "palm beach style" for more prop clearance! Something to think about! Try wolf at big bad customs.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.
sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sseater »

the best part is you can get a used, low mile 2.0 lnf turbo for 2500-3000... id like to talk to whoever is setting them up to get a price if anyone has a contact
Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

This, or something VERY similar, is the future of our sport. I'd LOVE to see this power package and some REAL engineering on getting it silent.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand
C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

sseater wrote:the best part is you can get a used, low mile 2.0 lnf turbo for 2500-3000... id like to talk to whoever is setting them up to get a price if anyone has a contact
I am pretty sure chuck at airboat pro's is setting them up,,,,bring him the motor and let him build the stand and wire that bad boy up, come back and pick it up and set it in your boat.....353-330-1015...Give him a call and see what he has to say about it...good luck......
OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC »

The boat is pretty quiet to be honest. You can run without ears on and talk to your passengers at cruise. Anything can be made quieter of course. Just pointing out that all you hear is prop, not engine.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy
sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sseater »

Number doesn't work
C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

I am sorry the area code is 352-330-1015....
JB550
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by JB550 »

sseater wrote:Number doesn't work
I sent you a PM a couple of days ago with the correct number on it
Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel »

saw a 2.0 eco-tech on ebay claimed to be brand new 0 time but does not come with harness or computers so I guess from what i remember from the other post if you find some kind of used ecotech you need to make sure you get the engine harness computer air flow meter or whatever they use for fuel injection and what else do you need t get from the car? Or Has someone now come up with a way of making homemade harness for computer?
plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

OneBFC wrote:The boat is pretty quiet to be honest. You can run without ears on and talk to your passengers at cruise. Anything can be made quieter of course. Just pointing out that all you hear is prop, not engine.
and being its a 76 in maximus you cant hear much of that ... very quiet and ive drivin it in many differant situations and its simply and amazing airboat.. and yes i want one... gas milage is the most amazing thing about it 8)
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Russ do you have any torque numbers?? :rebel:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.
Joe863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Joe863 »

I really wanna see one of these ecotech boats in action. Its all about evolving.
Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Amazing.. 8 people on green grass for that size motor.. Definitely want to see one.. Might just sway that direction for the fuel mileage, cruise RPM's and ease of running!!!!!!!! Hope to see it at The Freedom Ride..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO
:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

Called a junk yard in jax that had a 2.0.. Said he would take 700$ for motor and harness with ecu
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

So they r out there at great deals
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Automotive Power Only”