Winter at Camp Old Glory

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Winter at Camp Old Glory

Post by newoldglory »

Mamma Freedom (hawk) hatched her young although I don't know how many yet. It has been very cool here and she pulled a lot of feathers for the young so the nest looks like a pillow that went through the fan. She still won't leave the nest until the male is there to sit the nest. 8) Got a lot of the "b" bopper birds that take a dump every time they land so I have a line of poop every where. The turkey vultures keep circling to see if any thing has died and the marsh rabbits only come in to eat what ever I planted. (time to trim the hares). :roll: I have one American Coot that has taken up home stead here. Normally, when a single animal comes in like this, it came here to die but this one seems to be very healthy. The pair of Limpkins are back and are like Guinnie hens. (They make great yard dogs). They are very vocal and never shut up. They seem to mimic me and my every move. They now go off at approximately 5:30 AM when I normally get up but they have not been able to sinc with me when I get up to "go" during the night since it is never at the same time. I'm sure that it irritates them as much as it does me. :banghead: The Wild Shiners are back in the basin but no Black Bass as yet. The Blue Talapia are showing up but not in numbers. The Catfish are sporadic and the Blue Gills know that if there is a fish pole hanging over the dock, you don't bite. :slap: A 4 cylinder air boat just stopped out front of camp but did not come in even though I turned on the light. I figure that they don't know me and are out to frog. This is not a time to frog but then, maybe they are out for the night ride and to be alone. :cheers:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.
radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Winter at Camp Old Glory

Post by radtech »

Winter at the glory sounds awesome, Gerald. Sure look forward to visiting you down there this summer. Shooting for Leaving middle GA on July 11 & heading your way if Cowboy Rock can get it in gear. Talking to some other buddies about going as well. Keep enjoying the good life, brother. Enjoy reading your stories
highlife57
Southern Airboat Member

Post by highlife57 »

He always has good posts....... Keep them comming Gerald!!!!!!!
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

Had to look up what a Limpkin was. Your knowledge of the glades, stories and openness to people stopping by to say hello is very much appreciated Gerald.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

DDSBC wrote:Had to look up what a Limpkin was. Your knowledge of the glades, stories and openness to people stopping by to say hello is very much appreciated Gerald.
The Limpkin is the bird (28/30" tall, dark color with silver specks on it's wings) that always wait till the last second to fly up from the trail an has to dump a load real quick to gain altitude. It's load usually coats the person in the front seat with what looks like a cup full of white juicy crap. That is why we call them shee-it quick's.

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

newoldglory wrote:
DDSBC wrote:Had to look up what a Limpkin was. Your knowledge of the glades, stories and openness to people stopping by to say hello is very much appreciated Gerald.
The Limpkin is the bird (28/30" tall, dark color with silver specks on it's wings) that always wait till the last second to fly up from the trail an has to dump a load real quick to gain altitude. It's load usually coats the person in the front seat with what looks like a cup full of white juicy crap. That is why we call them shee-it quick's.
Also known is a $H!T AND GET
Doug
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

newoldglory wrote: The Limpkin is the bird (28/30" tall, dark color with silver specks on it's wings) that always wait till the last second to fly up from the trail an has to dump a load real quick to gain altitude. It's load usually coats the person in the front seat with what looks like a cup full of white juicy crap. That is why we call them shee-it quick's.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.
SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid »

10173624_10203410993412785_6259461093265270701_n.jpg
10357187_10203410991532738_1333169514236759578_n.jpg
This thing fell in love with Daffy while I was down there and stayed on my boat the whole time it sat there. The top of the gearbox was white with shinny fish scales, sorta pretty really. I had just got off the phone with Gerald and had asked about Freedom, I knew it was about time for babies. They should be up by the 21th of March, I plan on being there for the Boat and Buggy show. Make plans and we will get on Geralds nevers for a few days and go the the show.
Last edited by SteveReid on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

SteveReid wrote:
10173624_10203410993412785_6259461093265270701_n.jpg
10357187_10203410991532738_1333169514236759578_n.jpg
This thing fell in love with Daffy while I was down there and stayed on my boat the whole time it sat there. The top of the gearbox was white with shinny fish scales, sorta pretty really. I had just got off the phone with Gerald and had asked about Freedom, I knew it was about time for babies. They should be up by the 7th of March, I plan on being there for the Boat and Buggy show. Make plans and we will get on Geralds nevers for a few days and go the the show.
Steve; That is an Anhinga and I have not seen it since you left. Probably cause of a broken heart.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Seen a lot of Wood Storks also. They were gone for a while but noticed them back a couple weeks ago. The Glades always seem the same to tourists and passers-by...sawgrass prairies, tree islands, alligators, birds in general. Usually what the governing authorities want you to see from the roadside and board walks. But the local inhabitant notices subtle changes and appreciates them...the pale green new leaves on the Cypress trees, new turtle hatchlings, birds nesting during the dry season. Went out last week and picked some sour oranges at one of my favorite places (accessible only by airboat) for a pork marinade...they were ripe and ready...just took a few that I needed and left the rest. Take a little, leave a lot.
It must be cool to be able to name wildlife as they were your pets or friends...Mama Freedom is a good example.
Keep doin' it Gerald. I gotta go pay you a visit soon. Haven't seen you since we bagged and moved some of that gravel pile.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

That gravel pile was an interesting task. LOL I was at camp on Sunday and thought about how we all too 10 tons of rock out there 5 gallon buckets at a time.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

digginfool wrote:That gravel pile was an interesting task. LOL I was at camp on Sunday and thought about how we all too 10 tons of rock out there 5 gallon buckets at a time.
Should have been there when we hauled concrete bags for the retainer wall
Got pics show you one day
Doug
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

glades cat; plan a week end stay here at Camp Old Glory and bring the family. :thumbleft:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Glades Cat, you are spot on with that comment. It never ceases to amaze me how much the Everglades change every time I go out. Most of the time, those changes are very subtle but sometimes when you go out, you wonder if you're even on the right trail. One of the things I love the most is when the birds come back in. I've been noticing the Wood Storks as well. The Roseate Spoonbills won't be far behind.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

I'm seeing more of all of them. Waiting on the white pelicans now.

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”