Muffler Tips.....are they considerd "legal"?

A discussion on ways to reduce it.
Buckshot863
Southern Airboat Member

Muffler Tips.....are they considerd "legal"?

Post by Buckshot863 »

I have seen quite a few boats lately with the magnaflow style muffler tips. You can pick em up for about 25bucks a piece at the parts store. They are straight thru design, with a type of baffling on the sides. Anybody use these?

blowme
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Muffler Tips.....are they considerd "legal"?

Post by blowme »

We've been running the for 5-6 yrs now on multiple boats been stopped many times they are perfectly legal my dad is even running them strait off his headers now with no flex pipe and had no problems
what we have here is failure to communicate

juice
Southern Airboat Member

Post by juice »

Buckshot863 wrote:I have seen quite a few boats lately with the magnaflow style muffler tips. You can pick em up for about 25bucks a piece at the parts store. They are straight thru design, with a type of baffling on the sides. Anybody use these?
I know the law is a little bit different in Okeechobee versus out here in the Glades. But out here in the Glades you should not be able to show any kind of stick up your exhaust has to have some sort of muffler with the spark resistor. To help prevent forest fires or whatnot

Buckshot863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Buckshot863 »

Juice, I have heard the same thing around here, about the stick deal. Just have been seeing a lot of people running the tips. And for 20-30 bucks a piece, I might try them too.

Buckshot863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Buckshot863 »

Juice, I have heard the same thing around here, about the stick deal. Just have been seeing a lot of people running the tips. And for 20-30 bucks a piece, I might try them too.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT »

" An Automotive-style factory muffler."
Last edited by BANANA BOAT on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dan Coffey
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Dan Coffey »

I run them on my step hulls but the actual law states that you must run an automotive style muffler.
Danny Coffey
13' Scorpion 383 Stroker, Stinger gear box, 3 Blade 80" R
12' Jimmy White Step Hull, O 480, 72" 5 Blade Warp Drive

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger »

I think the statute has been posted at some time or another but here it is. The test with the stick is not or never has been part of the muffler requirement. Baffles can be designed several ways including from the sides which would leave the middle open for a stick to enter.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2013/327.391

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells »

I own an airboat with an aircraft engine that has no mufflers and this boat was used for federal, State, and local to haul government and or individual people to sites for survey and other uses and had to meet ALL Federal, state guidelines for safety, so forth and I'm wondering why it was approved to operate without mufflers.

Return to “Airboat Sound”