Trailer tilt or straight

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
graffixx
Southern Airboat Member

Trailer tilt or straight

Post by graffixx »

I want to build a new trailer and need opinions on what works. I have a 13ft predator with a sbc. What's the easiest for loading tilt or straight. And why
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Trailer tilt or straight

Post by Slidin Gator »

Do you normally dry launch or wet launch at a ramp? My tilt trailer is easy unload dry. With the right balance it an easy brake tap to drop it past center to tilt and launch. If you wet launch, no need for a tilt.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.
smokster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by smokster »

use a torsion axle and it'll be low enough
graffixx
Southern Airboat Member

Post by graffixx »

Sorry been offline for a bit. I'm in maryland so to find any real marsh I will have to dry launch so I would say probably half the time. Now i just reverse brake it until it's close to middle then hand launch it then pull the trailer out. And to load it run the boat to the trailer back the trailer under the boat and drive the boat the rest of the way.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Smuggler on here builds a very nice aluminum trailer with the torsion axle and roller face. He would be a great contact for you and is located about 45 minutes south west of Ocala.
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:08 pm
Smuggler on here builds a very nice aluminum trailer with the torsion axle and roller face. He would be a great contact for you and is located about 45 minutes south west of Ocala.
Agree but Smuggler does not build tilts!
A tilt does come in handy at times of low doors or anything dry. I've just found the tilt as only one half inch bolt with zero bearing or structural support of the 75% rear! Plus very few ever check that bolt or frame for wear?
Great idea but wear factor few ever check? Littorally most tilts are nothing more than a half inch bolt holding up the front part of frame and grinding metal at every use?
A tilt almost needs to made custom to each app vs more power to ride up a non tilt!

Return to “Airboat Talk”