Alternative hulls for airboats

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
mjl4911
Southern Airboat Member

Alternative hulls for airboats

Post by mjl4911 »

Hey there I’m fairly new to air boating and live in the Carolinas. Due to the amount of saltwater up here and the sometimes rough water conditions I feel that the typical fiberglass airboat hill just isn’t cutting it. Has anyone ever experimented with mounting to a heavier flat bottom skiff type hull and if so what we’re the results? Any alternative ideas are appreciated.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Alternative hulls for airboats

Post by Rick McC. »

I run mine in deep and shallow saltwater all the time.
3FC8FBCE-10FA-4AC1-B87D-3CE3D7E30AC8.jpeg
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

We run the Gulf as well, you just need to be weather conscious. If your wanting to make crossings of open water with 3ft seas an airboat is not going to be the tool.

The Texas boys run a lot of open area they use big hulls and a deck over design would really add to the safety factor.

Over the years I have seen everything from Jon boats to a big center console rigged out with air prop power. None ever perform as well as a good airboat hull.

Hope it helps

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

good advice from Rick & Swamp - us AC guys are not into the alternative stuff :lol:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Airboats are banned East of the Fresh/Saltwater line in S. Carolina, so this only applies to N. Carolina in general.

I can't imagine a Carolina Skiff hull with an airprop working better for anything vs. the same hull with an outboard or the same prop and an airboat hull. If it is too rough for an airboat, I damn sure don't want to be caught out in it with a top heavy pig of a skiff without enough power.

2 miles from shore and the wind picks up on me, I'll take my old 15 Hp Johnson and a wide blade prop vs. whatever is pushing the wind.

Along the lower Mississippi river etc. I see a lot of Bass Boat style rigs with a Rotax para-glider style prop/cage on the rear. They use them to idle around on airpower for bow hunting, but it don't hold a candle to that 250 Hp + outboard for getting there and back.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Return to “Airboat Talk”