350 DD boat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 350 DD boat

Post by Barefootduck »

I found the throttle cables but nothing on steering cables that had more than a 5in throw. On other threads they said pto cable had 6in and the real Teleflex had around 8in. That’s what I was worried about with the 5in throw. I have the throttle cable under control now. Lol I may still use an exposed cable and pulleys to start because I found some stainless cable in my stuff that I didn’t know I had
Central Florida,
St Johns area

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

You can call Mako Hose and Rubber Co in Palm Beach. They make the Hydraulic PTO cables on site and you can get it with 8" throw. You just need to know the length you need and if you want 5/16 or 3/8 diameter. 5" throw isn't enough for steering. If you don't want to deal with Mako you can call Schmidt airboat parts. They sell the same cable.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Yes mako makes a nice all stainless PTO style cable with 8" of throw. I ordered one from them I showed up when they said I would. Also good customer services I called and asked the same question many others do and they were very helpful.

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

Thanks I’ll check it out. And yea I know 5in throw isn’t enough that’s why I was wondering where to get the correct one. I was like obviously they have them somewhere I just can’t find it online
Central Florida,
St Johns area

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

So how much do stringer jacks help? My old boat didn’t have any and this boat I’m building I put three in. One under the engine one in front of the the engine and one towards the front of the rigging. Just wondering how much they can change the handling of a boat!!
Central Florida,
St Johns area

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

A hull jack can change the ride considerably. You should try to find someone close by that has tuned a hull before and see if they could help you to get yours right. In the interest of a starting place set your boat on perfectly flat and level ground. Then adjust your jacks so that they are at that pressure point and lock them down. Then take the boat out for a ride and see what you have as a starting point.

To better understand, lets say your boat tends to ride on it's nose a little. Well in that case you could add downward pressure slightly to your forward jack and try to create a very slight "ball" that will help lift the nose. That is an example of how a hull jack can help tune the hulls ride. These adjustments often times may only need 1/2 a turn to gain the desired effect. You don't just start cranking on them take it slow. They are a little hard of the hull if you get to much jack in the game fyi.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

1/8" makes a heck of a difference. Ball of hull sticking down is brakes on the rear, riding on the nose through WFO. Concave at stern and the nose is high and jumping.

It is best to build the hull with rocker in the center, she will come off the nose with some pounding.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

Well got the throttle cable and hooked it up. Found a stainless bracket in the dirt at work and used it for the mount at the pedal and then made one from aluminum at the carb. Then mounted the cable clamps to those and had the clevices to attach everything. Got return spring at the pedal and might add a backup at the carb. Do you guys run a second spring?
Attachments
79D65B29-483F-4D81-B913-52AB937FC2B2.jpeg
27FFFA48-4466-4FD4-A76C-A50F39C8934D.jpeg
AAAB355A-C286-4A5A-A660-65340D5C4FC1.jpeg
Central Florida,
St Johns area

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC »

Do you guys run a second spring?
Run 3 if you can. It's near certain death / fiasco if throttle sticks open in a lot of situations.

Inspect them before each ride along with rudder linkages too.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

OneBFC wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:57 pm
Do you guys run a second spring?
Run 3 if you can. It's near certain death / fiasco if throttle sticks open in a lot of situations.

Inspect them before each ride along with rudder linkages too.
Right on yea sounds like a good idea!
Central Florida,
St Johns area

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Barefoot, I'll go one step past BFC's suggestion.

I suggest eliminating the spring at the foot pedal and put all springs at the carb (2 minimum). As you have it rigged right now, if the connection to the foot pedal fails (screw falls out etc.) then the spring you have installed now will be useless and the engine might stick WFO. As you have it the pedal pulls the cable to open throttle but pushes to close throttle. With all springs at the carb the throttle cable is always in tension. Push the pedal down and you are pulling the cable out against the springs, let off the throttle and the springs pull the cable back.

I was taught a long time ago that you can't push a rope, so I run two springs at the carb, two different diameters so they fit inside each other. I won't disagree that a 3rd is even more insurance, but at some point you have to balance against too heavy of a pedal. The key is to make sure that the throttle still closes if one spring fails.

I have heard stories about stuck throttles and failed steering, none good. Beyond checking your steering condition, you want to make sure the rudder is trimmed well so it runs straight with your hand off the stick, you don't want a rudder that goes hard over either way.

As for the throttle, once you get the rig running, go practice recovering from a WFO situation. This basically consists of hammer down and jerk the stick back (on a DD anyhow) to spin around, stay in the throttle until you stop and then kill the engine. It's basically a case of strengthening the balls to the point that spinning the rig around at high speed is muscle memory vs. freezing up with a levee coming on quick. Start in deeper water, part throttle and 90 degree turns. Keep adding throttle and more stick, then move to the skinny and repeat. Wear a life jacket and leave the riders at home until you have confidence in the rig, then you will be ready to give your riders an E ticket ride!

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Slidin Gator wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:10 pm
then you will be ready to give your riders an E ticket ride!
these young guys dont know what an E ticket is SG! :toothy7: :slap: :lol:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

kwanjangnihm wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:26 pm
Slidin Gator wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:10 pm
then you will be ready to give your riders an E ticket ride!
these young guys dont know what an E ticket is SG! :toothy7: :slap: :lol:
That's true :lol: I grew up in S. Orlando and my mom kept a gallon jar full of left over ride tickets from visitors etc. (she had another full of green stamps, I'm not explaining them). I would grab a handful and we would park in the Orange grove and jump the fence behind Space Mountain. First we would head to Adventure land to get a big tropical drink and fill it with the rum we brought (Disney was a bottle club back then). Next we would head for an E-ticket ride because they were the ones where your date sits in your lap and wants to be held tight, the A tickets were for necking after. I seem to remember that damn jar was mostly full of B-D tickets. :scratch:

I guess "Fast Pass Ride" just doesn't have the same ring as E Ticket. :dontknow:

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Very familiar with e-tickets lol
Grew up around the windermere disney area. Could ride the orange grove from the house to clermont and only cross to hard road. My dad have pasture and orange grove that back-up to disney.

Good times.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Very familiar with e-tickets lol
Grew up around the windermere disney area. Could ride the orange grove from the house to clermont and only cross to hard road. My dad have pasture and orange grove that back-up to disney.

Good times.

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

Found a double spring like you all said and put it at the carburetor and works good. Feel better about it as well. Got the battery switch mounted and going to be running the cables soon. Hopefully this weekend I’ll start on the cage
Attachments
52BE03D8-A911-4F91-9F12-9240FD6D6F87.jpeg
Central Florida,
St Johns area

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

Not sure why but the picture is upside down just for reference so you all know
Central Florida,
St Johns area

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Looks good kid! I always run a spring (2 of them) on the carburetor. You don't want it pulling to hard fyi but stiff enough to ensure a sharp snap of the throttle.

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

Anyone have first hand experience with the whirlwind Excalibur prop? Going to try to get a carbon prop in mind so when I’m ready I can just get it.
Central Florida,
St Johns area

blu by u
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blu by u »

I run a 68" 3 blade excalibur on my 350 dd and it performs excellent.
chris

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

blu by u wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 pm
I run a 68" 3 blade excalibur on my 350 dd and it performs excellent.
Better then other props you have tried?
Central Florida,
St Johns area

blu by u
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blu by u »

by far
chris

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

blu by u wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:45 am
by far
Thanks for posting your experience blu
Central Florida,
St Johns area

Barefootduck
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barefootduck »

Commercial grade wire crimpers for the battery cables.
Attachments
2212B0EC-24BA-4207-BAC5-F980BF9D9912.jpeg
AE26C6DF-A920-4B90-9F3E-78087D5031D0.jpeg
CC925AF1-86D9-4BE5-87F9-BAE3B5DB50A5.jpeg
Central Florida,
St Johns area

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Looking great BFD!! What gauge cable are you using?
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Return to “Airboat Talk”