Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Post Reply
RichM617
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:08 pm

Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by RichM617 »

Anyone out there have one of these they would like to sell?

Anyone ever try to repair this?
User avatar
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V
Posts: 4598
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Inverness, FL

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by Deano »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Where is it broke?

As far as buying one, I'm sure Vaughn has a couple:
http://www.airboatgeardrives.com/1.html

If you are up to the task, maybe he'll sell you a housing? :dontknow:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan
RichM617
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by RichM617 »

Thanks for the reply Deano! When I get out to the boat I'll grab a picture.

I"m going to give him a call and see if maybe I can just get the casing itself.

I was hoping someone on this site may have one laying around they don't use and I could put to some good use for them! :)
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

RichM617 wrote:Thanks for the reply Deano! When I get out to the boat I'll grab a picture.

I"m going to give him a call and see if maybe I can just get the casing itself.

I was hoping someone on this site may have one laying around they don't use and I could put to some good use for them! :)
Posting a picture it may be simple as welding it up.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am
Location: Naturecoast, Florida

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

OK I will be the one to ask!

What caused this to crack? There may be another issue to be looking for in this failure unless you dropped it.
firewalkerb3
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by firewalkerb3 »

I have a precision gear box 2 to 1 hanging on a 383 stoker motor with a 6 blade warp drive. I bought the box new and had it rebuild. A year later it started leaking oil, a lot of oil. Pulled and had it rebuilt again, a year later it broke the shaft off going into the adapter plate. Had it rebuild again, started it today to go riding...bang the shaft snapped again. All but the first time I hauled it to Oviedo to have the work done. Now I going back again to pay again for the same thing. I'm thinking about selling it this time, just to much and I don't trust it.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

firewalkerb3 wrote:I have a precision gear box 2 to 1 hanging on a 383 stoker motor with a 6 blade warp drive. I bought the box new and had it rebuild. A year later it started leaking oil, a lot of oil. Pulled and had it rebuilt again, a year later it broke the shaft off going into the adapter plate. Had it rebuild again, started it today to go riding...bang the shaft snapped again. All but the first time I hauled it to Oviedo to have the work done. Now I going back again to pay again for the same thing. I'm thinking about selling it this time, just to much and I don't trust it.
Either you are overworking it to much, it's not being fixed properly, or they have bad material for a shaft to break. Either way that's sad post a few pictures.
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am
Location: Naturecoast, Florida

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

This is a very odd situation to have what appears to be 3 failures with one immediately off what sounds like a vendor or factory rebuild. Have you called him back and discussed this with the owner of Percision. There has to be something binding up or off alignment because a 383 with a warp should not be breaking a fairly stout output shaft. They are the lightest duty drive of the big 4 but were built and engineered specifically for your application.

Is there any information that might lead us to better understand why this is happening? Was the boat in a crash, had the prop had a strike to did you have a engine seizure or crank break in the past?
User avatar
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 5277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: lake county

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by Tony480 »

Don't waste your time with it..scrap that garbage and buy an Oxdrive
Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: Redlands

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by Gary S »

You have a box that has had 3 failures so your going to fix it again and pass it on to someone else, nice.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Need Precision Gear Box Broke housing repairable?

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Gary S wrote:You have a box that has had 3 failures so your going to fix it again and pass it on to someone else, nice.
OR simply fix it right and keep it?
Post Reply

Return to “Airboat Talk”