My freezer froze up

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

My freezer froze up

Post by newoldglory »

How much do we lose when the freezer goes on the blink? :scratch: In my case here, I only lost a few hundred dollars worth of store bought meats. You know, like prime rib, fillet mignon, porter house, rib eye and t bone steak, leg of lamb, etc. :D Fortunately, all my expensive meats are in another freezer. Top dollar meats, like frog legs, gator, venison, blue gill and cat fish are kept in the newer freezer. :thumbleft: These meats cost 2 to 5000 dollars a pound and are worth their weight in gold. :shock: A friend called me at work today and informed my that my rear cabin stunk. :? I had thought that I had done a great job building it and was hurt by his comment. :slap: But then, he was able to convince me that it was not the construction that he had a problem with but the pungent smell of rotten meat. :oops: Well, I had not been in the rear cabin for several days and did not know that some one had died back there with out notifying me that I was expected to "clean up" after them. :banghead: Eventually, he got the message across that my freezer was "buzzard bait". (well, not the freezer but the rotten meat inside). :roll: So, after getting home, I set in to save what meat was still cold but it was hotter inside the freezer than it was out side. :( I guess that I could have saved some of it but the scowers are rough on the external orifices and at my age I cannot afford any more lose. :violent1: Tomorrow, the fish and gators will have a feast of the year. :cheers:
PS. I saved some of the cheap meat for scrambletown when he comes down for a beer with me on my front porch. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :toothy7:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.
catchment38
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: My freezer froze up

Post by catchment38 »

: Sounds like you'r freezer gave up, not froze up. Witch one was it? :scratch:
Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

I'm one of those odd balls that doesn't really care for freezers. I've had a couple in the past, and my experience with them
was that most everything you put in one either gets forgotten, or at least doesn't get eaten as soon as you thought it would.
I ended up wasteing more money on meat .... not to mention the electricity it took to keep it all frozen .... than I did in
actually having it on hand, out of sight and out of mind.

We eat a lot of stuff besides meat. Not sayin' I don't love me a nice tender chunk of ribeye or a pot roast cooked up with
some taters and carrots in a cast iron dutch oven. I surely do, but when we're wanting something like that I usually just try
to swing by Felton's or Publix here in Plant City and pick it up.

If the bottom falls out of things some day, the banks are all closed and the dollar is worthless, my little squaw and I can
live very nicely for at least three months on what we have around here that doesn't need to be frozen. JMO
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

catchment38 wrote:: Sounds like you'r freezer gave up, not froze up. Witch one was it? :scratch:

The compressor locked up. I had noticed that the inverter was acting up but didn't realize that it was the breaker on the compressor. :slap: Just as well I guess. Like Olf said, out of sight, out of mind.

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

I have got four deer and about 150 lb. of corn beef, turkey, chicken and fish and some gator ,turtle,and frog legs tring to shut down the freezes, last one the died I duck taped it shut and took to the dump
Good luck with the smell :D
When I come to see you again I will bring you some more canned food just let me know what you liked!
Doug
scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

. I saved some of the cheap meat for scrambletown when he comes down for a beer with me on my front porch. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :toothy7:[/quote]
thanks GEROLD look forward to it one day...
don't know about the beer thou--last beer was 1990.
maybee a cold water?
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
when my freezer went out had about 50 pounds of fish just gigged about 3 or 4 days before.
had to leave for an emergency for a couple of days got back and the house was well not live-able for a while!!!!!!
:brushteeth: :brushteeth: :brushteeth: :brushteeth: :brushteeth: :brushteeth: :brushteeth: :brushteeth:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

I only keep one freezer. If I cant fill it with hog deer or gators. Then it has beef in it. I also use it to freeze about 5 one gallon jugs. That helped when we lost power back during the storms. Pulling rotten meat from a freezer sound so lovely.
davemotes
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by davemotes »

I have one that I use to stock pile ice in for the summer for my drinking water. I went to get ice and instead of having 100lb of ice I hade 100lb of water. The freezer is only about 5 years old.
SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by SteveReid »

Gerald needs freezers and makes good use of them. You just have to keep a eye on them out there because so many things can go wrong and its hard to remember to check them. I knew we should have eaten all them steaks and frog legs....
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory »

SteveReid wrote:Gerald needs freezers and makes good use of them. You just have to keep a eye on them out there because so many things can go wrong and its hard to remember to check them. I knew we should have eaten all them steaks and frog legs....
Hi Steve; fortunately all the frogs were smart enough to be in the gooder freezer. All them low dollar meats from the store don't have the "clout" that real meat carries. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Airboat Talk”