Pay it forward.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Pay it forward.

Post by cantrundry »

I have been a member for a while and do a whole lot more reading than posting. I read all 26 pages of the SUNK thread and am feel blessed to be a part of the airboating community. The pay it forward concept came to my mind after seeing all the generosity given to Curtis by complete and total strangers. I am willing to open a paypal account on behalf of SA for donations to be given to those that are part of this community and in a time of need, that being said, I will simply open the account and forfeit all information to the powers that be IE skinnypockets; whitebear; and Rick or whoever else the forum sees fit (feel free to nominate below) to control and dispense the funding as needed.

This was done for a member of the diesel community that is a competitive bracket racer and pays for everything out of pocket after being taken advantage of by a "friend" with some shady parts and almost not being able to make it to World Finals. This can be found at competitiondiesel.com

I expect some criticism from this as I know it seems shady for someone with a post count of less than 10 to come up with something that can be seen as a scam, but I assure you as a paramedic and a man, I have no such intent other than to have a nest egg developed that can be shared to EVERYBODY and ANYBODY in the SA community as long as the powers that be and the general public of the forum see fit.

If this comes to be, all request for help should be made in an open forum with details of the happenings to be considered and voted upon by all. Steve, knowing you wouldn't accept a dime for rescuing Curtis, there may come a day when you need help and instead of everybody racking their heads and wallets to find a way to rescue you the funding would be taken care of.

A sincere hats off to Kerry and Wrench69 and all others involved for their efforts.

I also vote that a percentage of the donations be taken for site support, say 5-10%?

What say all? :florida: :alabama: :texas: :old_glory: :dontknow:
PREPARE FOR BEARS AND PRAY FOR BUNNIES.
Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Pay it forward.

Post by Hog Guts »

Just my few cents... Your post is probably genuine so thanks for being a good thoughtful giving individual there aren't many around. Having said that if I were to ever donate money it would be for a specific person for a specific purpose that u saw fit. I would not rely upon others publicly or private to make that decision for me at some later date. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

Oops- "that I saw fit"

cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

Hog Guts wrote:Just my few cents... Your post is probably genuine so thanks for being a good thoughtful giving individual there aren't many around. Having said that if I were to ever donate money it would be for a specific person for a specific purpose that u saw fit. I would not rely upon others publicly or private to make that decision for me at some later date. JMO

I completely understand that, but on the same token, what if you were the one in need?
Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

If I were in need right now nobody would know unless I or a friend posted the issue. If I did that anyone interested could help without a vote or debate. Again, JMO there may be plenty if folks with differing opinions this site is a great place to find them from what I've seen :)

cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

Fair enough. Any others?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Typically SA is an information forum for Airboaters communications. We are happy for you to use the forum to accomplish this but it is unlikely SA can be part of this other than providing the communications for your posts. You have a grand idea that I can see would be of benefit when desperation sets in. I am proud that you turn to SA for the communications for you to make it happen. SA is somewhat legally limited because of the way it is organized and the liabilities that could arise. Of course Rick has the final word. There is nothing to say YOU can't do exactly what you describe and still use SA as your communications media. We just can't be an official part of the organization.

Other members have used SA Forums and members to raise funds for specific events without SA being the event holder. I believe Olf Art has some experience with how to arrange the banking end of it as well as the tax issue. This stuff may not be intuitive when it comes to the lagalilties. If this is to be a permanent fund, you may wish to look at forming a 501c Non Profit Corporation or an LLC.. Just thinking out loud on this one. Wish I knew more about that end of it. As always with these things it is likely going to be worth your time to consult an Attorney in the early stages or maybe even as your first stop. Keep us all posted on your progress. This could be something great indeed.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.
scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

lets not stop there lets include car wreck, motor cycle, air-plane, hunting accidents, people who cant pay their bills, the older retired folks,women that get pregnant and are not married, the guy that stays drunk every day and smokes 4 packs a day let help him pay for his beer and smokes, sounds like your opening yourself up for cons.
I am like hog-guts if I need help you would never know because I wouldn't broadcast it on here.
and yes I have sunk my boat! more than once.
and as far as the sunk thread there was a lot of very foolish thing that took place there.
I personally don't understand why you would want to set up an account for pay someone's bill's because he or she sank his or her boat?
but GOD bless go for it, let me know thou I am sure I will sink one again.
oh buy-the-way I need a new prop you want to pay for it????????
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37
dudley
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by dudley »

Site support to SA to help Rick pay for more web space as needed. This is a free site but keeping it going over these years has not been free. Thanks
If you don't like my smoke,you don't have to ride my train.
KRVSA
cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

Scramble, I believe you are taking this idea way out of context. It would be for those in desperate time that have exhausted all options. I agree that there were some foolish things done in the sunk thread but that doesn't mean no body should be willing to help.

As far as your prop goes if you are the type of person that deserves a new one and it can be proven, I have no problem putting something in the kitty because it's my personality to put other before myself.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

cantrundry wrote:Scramble, I believe you are taking this idea way out of context. It would be for those in desperate time that have exhausted all options. I agree that there were some foolish things done in the sunk thread but that doesn't mean no body should be willing to help.

As far as your prop goes if you are the type of person that deserves a new one and it can be proven, I have no problem putting something in the kitty because it's my personality to put other before myself.

I did take it way out of context but point taken (I think) and thank you for your willingness to help with my prop. I wouldn't take the money anyway.
I think your generosity will be short lived in trying to help, especially when there's people that will take advantage.
in my towing business every time I try and help I get it back in smart ass remarks or the next time I see him or her I helped they are holding a beer can in one hand a cigarette in there mouth and reaching for another one at the same time.
and if your putting other's before yourself you have problems.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37
skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

cantrundry, This has been in the back of my mind ever since Curtis sunk his boat. If this had happened anywhere in Florida or other areas where there were other airboaters nearby it would not have been a big deal, around here there's an airboat sunk about every weekend and it's just part of airboating and plenty of folks willing to lend a hand.

I felt compelled to lend a hand to Curtis because he was a fellow airboater and active soldier serving in our military who found himself in an impossible situation literally hundreds of miles from anyone qualified to help. When he posted on S.A. he was only looking for advice.

His experience brought out the best of the best and I am proud to have been a small part of it. What I have gained is some new friendships that will last for the rest of my life!

I believe it would be great to have an organized system in place if a similar situation were to arise, however, it needs to be discussed and thought through before putting it together.
I see a lot of good thoughts already posted, (pro & con), and consider this a good thing. One thing you can always count on with S.A. members is honest opinions!

I personally do not think having a cash fund available would be advisable because that would only attract scammers. Having an account in place where donations could be made in a case by case basis would probably be better.

I will have more to add later but do not have time right now.

Looking forward to more ideas and criticism. :stirpot:
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive
cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

You and I are on the same track skinny, Exactly what I wanted to do, you just used better words. I didn't necessarily mean to start a "savings account" for SA members but rather have a place to drop funds if such an event were to happen again. Scrambled, I know my generosity to others will be the death of me, but it's how my mother brought me up and I'm okay with it.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown »

if you will look there's already a thread on here that's permanent.
(aha) airboater's helping airboater's.
its already set up on s/a with names and phone#'s.
I don't know why its by (invitation only).
its on the front page. I personally would like to see it open to all member's automatically.
as far as setting up a money account to help rebuild the motor's the rigging stuff like that I'M out, sinking a airboat is part of airboating and everybody that airboats will sooner or later sink one.
once you sink a airboat or have a close call then your becoming an airboater.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

The AHA thread is by invitation only because it eliminates outside trolls and keeps the information between us airboaters. All you have to do is PM Rick for access. Its not guaranteed secure but it seems to have worked pretty well so far. You have to be a member, and logged in and have asked for access. Guest readers or Guest accounts will not be given access.

When I look back up this thread and see how many site supporters there are it makes me wonder about sincerity. Dudley's comment about site support sure goes a LONG way towards keeping THIS site open.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

Whitebear, I would like to have access to the AHA forum. I'm sure there will come a time when I am in need and am willing to help others.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Simply PM Rick for access.
cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

Will do! Thanks

Return to “Airboat Talk”