Needing some advice

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
SETX6890
Southern Airboat Member

Needing some advice

Post by SETX6890 »

Well new to SA and need some advice, Well i have grown up on boats but never an airboat. I have been wanting an airboat for awhile now and finally breaking down to get one. I have been reading on here and learning alot. But cant make a decision im wanting to purchase an air ranger (i hear they're good??) around 16-20 feet to use duck hunting in the marsh of saltwater and rivers. Any tips on what to look for or stay away from? I understand more HP the better, which is the case in anything. Im looking to spend around 20-25k on the right set up. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DJ

anahuacbound
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Needing some advice

Post by anahuacbound »

Air Ranger are really nice but that's a big boat you are looking at and the bigger it is the more it costs. Where you from?
15x8 GTO, LS3, CH3 Belt, 3 Blade Whisper Tip

SETX6890
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SETX6890 »

The more i look at them on classifieds it looks like ill be going smaller which is no problem it will only be 3-4 people max. Im not looking for size as much as quality, i would rather have a really nice small one than a ragged out big one. They have a few really nice ones in Florida for sale 13-15 ft, and i would be willing to make the drive for one. Im from around Houston,TX.

Dan Coffey
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Dan Coffey »

Buy a boat in Florida, you can save thousands of dollars. Maybe 10k from what I see.
Danny Coffey
13' Scorpion 383 Stroker, Stinger gear box, 3 Blade 80" R
12' Jimmy White Step Hull, O 480, 72" 5 Blade Warp Drive

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock »

There are too many good boats for sale in Texas and La, for you to have ride all the way to Fla.,,, jmho

:drunken: :rebel: :old_glory:
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

anahuacbound
Southern Airboat Member

Post by anahuacbound »

I just upgraded from a 13.5 to a 15 both 8 wide and it seems like its twice the boat. My last boat was short sides and the new one is 12"s taller. I run deep and shallow water and with my last rig I was always worried about taking on water but never did. I would try to ride on a few boats to figure out what you want before you buy something. I will be at Gatorfest the weekend of the 15th and would be more than happy to give you a ride. I would also stick with stainless rigging becouse of the salt in our area. Also aircraft parts are hard to come by over here, my last rig had a Continental and had trouble getting parts. Good luck
15x8 GTO, LS3, CH3 Belt, 3 Blade Whisper Tip

SETX6890
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SETX6890 »

Thanks alot for the replies, and it does seem the boats in Florida are thousands cheaper for the same boat in Texas, and anahuac thanks i wasn't aware of the aircraft parts being hard to find, and i will definitely pm you and make a ride out to gator fest with a cooler full of cold ones for that offer thanks alot.

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

I am building a boat for a customer in Texas now and have 2 others in the works. 15-16 ft seems to be what I get the most calls on and it seems everyone bow fishes. The one I am doing now is a 16x8 with a 496 600hp with seating for 5. We are doing some hydro dipping on it in shadow grass it's going to be a nice boat. Buying a used boat is the way to go sometimes but there is always a risk. In my opinion the only way to get exactly what you want is have it built. the sky is the limit now days on what you can do with options and everything. Just something to think about it's hard to get rid of them if you get one that isn't what you want and some builders will deliver. I am delivering the boats I am building to Texas just because I want to spend some time with the guys I build them for to make sure they are happy and the boat is what they wanted.
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

SETX6890
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SETX6890 »

Thanks bonecollector I'd like to have one built just like I wanted but that would be well out of my price range I'm sure especially for my first one. I would like to get the feel of it and ride on different ones before I spend any kind of money like that so I know exactly what I want and how I want it.

Return to “Airboat Talk”