Lets hear about your first boat

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
jmp4x4
Southern Airboat Member

Lets hear about your first boat

Post by jmp4x4 »

how old where you and what happend to it haha
HOLD IT WIDE OPEN SON!!!
fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Lets hear about your first boat

Post by fl cracker »

I was 16 when i bought my first boat. 10' square nose gillieo with a lyco. 125. After begging my dad to let me take it out by myself he finally agreed. Crusing down narcoosee rd a wheel bearing locked up so we drove back to apopka grabbed my buddy's trailer then drove back to the boat. I Tried to drive the boat back onto the trailer and ended up running the boat over top of the front bunk due to the gas pedel sticking wide open :lol: ended up breaking a stringer!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540
jmp4x4
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jmp4x4 »

hahaha damitt man
HOLD IT WIDE OPEN SON!!!
okeechobeeairboater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by okeechobeeairboater »

my first boat was a direct drive 350 on a 12' apachie hull i was about 24 not experienced driver i was running around a cabbage head and dont know what i was thinking i guess i thought it was a buggy because i tried running over a palmetto clump in about 3' of water and it was just enough to sink me so we fought for about 2 hrs and finally got the sides up enough with logs to let the bilge pump do it's job
airboat skinny
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat skinny »

My first was a 12 ft instagator 125 .I was about 25 a buddy and I was fishing a tournament and on the way in stopped to bs with a cupl.of buddy's slid sideways and hit a stump though him and the beer cooler out the boat
06 gto 14'-8 350 dd 3 blade h soon to have a belt box
SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SHABA »

airboat skinny wrote:My first was a 12 ft instagator 125 .I was about 25 a buddy and I was fishing a tournament and on the way in stopped to bs with a cupl.of buddy's slid sideways and hit a stump though him and the beer cooler out the boat

Was the beer Ok? :dontknow:
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

MID 20'S WAS MY FIRST PERSONAL BOAT I BOUGHT WITH MY OWN $$ 1500.00 DD 350 12FT COTTON MOUTH GOOD BOAT EVEN SUNK IT ABOUT 1MILE FROM LK FLORANCE THEN SOLD IT 6MTH LATER AND GOT ANOTHER 1 AND ANOTHER 1 AND KEEP GOING :D
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator
moondogg2020
Southern Airboat Member

Post by moondogg2020 »

me and my lil brother got our first boat in our teens. it was a 13'6 cottonmouth with a sbc direct drive with a wood prop. nothin crazy really but learned alot of lessons from beer cans and towels goin through cage and prop. 1st airboat I banged some girls on. haha. Also hated to pull up dry next to people and then havin to have people push us back and forth to the water that sucked. its been lycomings ever since!! :wink:
BoAt LiFe
Platte River Jake
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Platte River Jake »

My dad built one of the first boats in Nebraska in 1954. Homemade fiberglass aqnd plywood hull with a 65 continantal with a pusher prop. Headlights off a Model A Ford. Thats what got me hooked was watching him and his cousins building boats in the 60's and 70's. My first was an 8" homemade wood and glass with a 25hp snowmobile engine. Took half a day to get to our favorite fishing hole on the Platte but was always a real adventure especially when your 12 years old. Things have come a long way with airboats!
http://www.purplepolish.org
info@purplepolish.org
402-562-0929
MK Company/Purple Metal Polish
1338 Road D
Schuyler, NE 68661
Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr »

At the age of 14, in 1974, we bought a 1969 "Airgator Explorer 15". Had a HUGE 150 Lycoming on it. LOL. Wouldn't pull an old ***** out of bed. But it spun like crazy in the backcountry as long as there was 4 inches of water...Engine was junk and was replaced in 1975 with a 500 Cadillac by Rudy who used to work for Jimmy Swait back when his shop was under a tree behind Everglades Holiday Park. Heavy as hell rigging. But it ran well and morphed many times until 2000 when I traded it in to Alumitech for the current Maddog AGI 2 hull.

Maddog
GIMAMMOTH
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GIMAMMOTH »

My 1st boat was bought about 10 years ago for $3500, it was a glass hull with a strong running 0360 200hp swinging a 70x36 wood paddel prop, after i found out what motor it had i was feeling like i had just won the lotto, she was beat pretty hard when i got it an over the 5 years that i owned it i got pretty good at patching fiberglass an welding up cracks in the rigging.. towards the end of its life i started to run the boat on the hill more than in the water cause it leaked so bad, till i fliped it end over end in a fire lane ditch trying to run down some hogs..that was one of those yall better hop off hold my beer an watch this kinda nights.. :) after i layed that hull an prop to rest i went an had a bran new Alumitech hull built an put the motor on it..

here is a pic towards the end of my 1st boats life
Attachments
1st boat.jpg
1st boat.jpg (66.59 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Wardaddy 8X6.6 Cut down c90 Continental aircraft.
Chuck Hawk 12foot Cut Down 0-320 aircraft.
Southern Enterprizes 12.6 Williams Step Hull deckover o540 with Continental injection
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

11' gore, with a 90 hp aircraft on it. Engine blew up, replaced with a 140hp corvair my dad had stowed in a shed from his airboat beginnings. Boat was never the same though. Ended up wrecking it and sinking it. Parted it out. Good starter boat and I learned a lot about what NOT to do on it.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

i was 16 when i started building it and 17 when i finished it it was a 12 foot gilileo with a 220 an old single double riggin i made fit the boat and the cage i scrounged from someone that i had to cut the fins off the valve covers for it to fit knocked hole after hole in it got good with fiberglass then one day while taking a buddy for his first ride i was doin 180s and slidin up on the ground backwards well the last time i tried it that day i made it 90 and turned it over the prop chopped the cage up and that was that boats last ride i had a diamondback sittin in the yard and put the motor on it
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
greg226
Southern Airboat Member

Post by greg226 »

I built my first boat when I was 23. A friend of mine had a 12' Phillps hull mold. We hand layed the hull and I built the rigging and put a 220 ground power on it. It was a strong engine. I wish I would have kept it. I had a 72x38 prop on the boat. The very first time I tried the boat out was in the glades. We planned the trip right before I had the boat finished. I live in Palatka so it's about a 240 mile trip to the glades. I hadn't finished wiring the boat when I left. I did it on the way. Luckily the boat ran fine and the week long trip was great. young dumb luck.
GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

first boat 1969 14' jon boat with 65 cont a huge plywood rudder and a steering wheel and spinner knob with 3/16" cable spooled on it the first hard turn the cable came unspooled off the steering wheel all over the bottom of the boat and the boat just rolled over on its side kerthunk!! thought to myself boy this airboating sure is fun!!!
Bucknasty
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Bucknasty »

My 1st personally owned boat was a 220gpu with pop up pistons on a 12ft aluminum 3/4 deck my dad built. Kick my self everyday for selling that boat. I was 24yrs old.
" I'm a bird watcher and I'm looking for a Big Breasted Bed Thrasher: have you seen one? "
marsh DooZer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marsh DooZer »

let me tell you !!! i started a family at 17 an no money, but had lots of friends some with boats in christmas .one guy told me if i can put this old boat togather i can ride it,lol (no river time & no mech. exp) dont laugh thay did, it was a 18x10 7 cyl. rad. a/c thay called it BIG MAMA !!! it took me a mo. to get it ready &a ton of beer,an a lot of lol.but it got me on the water with every one. im on the river now at 53 an in my boat i bought in 99, turn key DB 14x7.6/330 c/m & belt with a brand new 3 blade. fun forever,see you on the hill!!
gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by gator7272 »

Early 20's, a 10.5' Gore that weighed a ton, took two people to flip it, a used riggin' from here, used cage from there, 4.3 v6 d/d, only bout 2 " of the transom out of the water at idle, had to be up against the bank to get on plane, Looking back now, i'm amazed I never sunk it, good times for sure
Last edited by gator7272 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

11'-6" (+/-) by 6' wide Gore - angle valve 170 - 66x38 stick prop - custom shoe polished rudders :D

It stayed upright & on top most trips :)

Rick
biggsexy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by biggsexy »

i bought my first hull 15' rivermaster from one eyed gator just hulll and riggin and bought a used 500 caddy direct drive wood prop and being a newbee at the time i wrecked it . but thats all behind me now . now have a 480 super charged 13' gileo see ya on the river thanks to all who run this site and all who are in the airboating family.
LETS HEAD TO THE RIVER!!!!!!!
cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 »

This is the one my brother and I learned on when we were teenagers

My Dad was a great teacher !
HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

Love them old pics too cool, my first was in 1982, Lyc 320 on a big old combee, cut the sides off and sunk first time out lol, been throwing money away for too long. :D
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA
R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams »

12' Chickasaw hull, rigging, 110 hp corvair, 1.78 ratio, good fishing boat.
I rigged it out and built trailer.
Should have kept it, easy on gas.
The a frame assemly was built by Skeeter Graves at Titusville airport.
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.
griggspsycolyco540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by griggspsycolyco540 »

11x7 rivermaster slick coated lycoming 0-235 100 h.p. 66x34 wood prop :cheers:
Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

I was 25-26, just out of a 6 year hitch in the NAVY. Didn't have first boat very long. Was traveling back and forth overseas a lot back then. Bought a 10x7 Gore Little Boss from H&H Airboats with a slap wore out Lycoming 125 parts built engine on it. Big mistake but it was a learner. Unfortunately my friends were just beginning to develop the 455 Buick . I couldn't run with them and slap wore that thing out in about a month. Learned enough keeping it running I knew I wanted to build my next boat instead of buying Hopwood's mistakes. That 125 would burn about 5 gallons of gas and 5 quarts of oil as I headed back overseas. Told my buddy to sell it for me and build us a mold for a really good handling boat. Gore didn't handle bad per se, but I didn't like that wide rolled back nose. I certainly did not like their rigging. The rest is history. I returned to this.

Then built this

and ran this for a while til somebody begged me to sell it to them. The new owner raced it several times and would regularly eat 260 HP O540 boats alive at the Sarno Drag Races. Since, I have had a string of Buick powered boats which I ran and sold as I ran back and forth overseas, and raised some kids in between.

NOTE-1: Its kinda hard to tell but if ya look close I set my rudders upside down from everyone else at the time (early 70s) I got better rudder authority and with the slow linkage I like, it would smoothly throw the boat around when frogging. Don't see this much today. Also notice the single roll cage, high (by today's standards) seat, and forward near the nose operator position. Just the way I like it.

NOTE-2: The faded color photos are in my gallery but I thought I'd de-saturate them and put up cool B/W images like everyone else ....:)
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Return to “Airboat Talk”