Airboat propeller discussion.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: New sensenich ngq vs whirlwind whispertip

Post by digginfool »

B-White wrote:
plumcrazy wrote:http://airinsight.com/2012/04/10/wingle ... r-reality/
a little read on winglets ,,,,,,, the winglets i ran on my boat a few years back where pointing the wrong way
any good reason for that 8) my father 2 uncles and a cousin worked for boeing and i have talked to them about this subject and lets just say its a black art :angel4:
:cheers: :cheers: I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that sees the winglets as just a marketing fad. Some people would buy into a prop with holes drilled in it if they were TOLD it was better....lol
Hell, I even bought one at one time. Run it for awhile.Tore the winglets up, cut them off with a portaband and could tell absolutely NO difference... :dontknow:
The difference with or without the winglets is probably not enough to 'feel in the seat.' My feeling is the reduction in turbulence reducing the noise signature is the most redeeming quality. I had an 80" Powershift on my boat before the 81" NGR. My biggest complaint about the Powershift was the noise. EVERYBODY who rode in or around my boat before and after has said the NGR was a huge improvement, noise-wise.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

I gotta know how one tears the winglets up? They damn sure are not going to fall off on there own!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

Dan520
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dan520 »

id have to agree with flcracker...i have the NGQ and not sure how you could tear up the winglets with out tearing up the blade also
13.6 gilleo, true 520 cont, 40" light headed bar, 74" NGQ

"under construction"

"When In Doubt...Throttle Out"

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

It's bull sheet!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

Dan520 wrote:id have to agree with flcracker...i have the NGQ and not sure how you could tear up the winglets with out tearing up the blade also
Lol.. hit the transom. We run ours CLOSE!! I could have left a little but went ahead and cut it off. It was just as quiet with out them. I'm no prop expert but I think the quieter noise signature is coming from the swept edges more than the winglets. If you take the time to look at the "Q" compared to the "NGQ" you will notice the NGQ is swept a lot more. Same with the "R" vs the "NGR"......like I said, Im no expert but I sometimes look at the obvious and a past the BS :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
Devil in the Bottle 83 ProMod
Marsh Master Step
Carbon Fiber Rudders by:HAMMERHEAD AVIATION.com
Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

fl cracker wrote:It's bull sheet!
What's BS??... I would hope not the fact that I tore up a prop??
Marsh Master Step
RAZORX

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

I would love to see some thrust numbers and not seat of the pants reviews
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

DannySauls
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DannySauls »

B-White wrote:
fl cracker wrote:It's bull sheet!
What's BS??... I would hope not the fact that I tore up a prop??
We definitely know y'all can damage some props there's no doubting that. Lol

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Russell0420 wrote:Thanks for the info!!! Everyone seems to be set on the ngq. Just wanted some input before spending the money!!!
I ran a Q never again. It made a funny harmonic at 2800 to 3000 rpm that hurt. No ear plug or muff could stop it.

I do like the wisper tip but 74 inch. One advantage is the hub. You can remove your prop and not have to take the blades out of the hub there still locked in.

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

DDSBC wrote:I would love to see some thrust numbers and not seat of the pants reviews
I agree. I personally think there is a reason there isn't a lot of this data out there. I think they all (not just the mentioned blades) would be very, very close in total thrust produced. I do think some would peak at different rpm's, but very little total difference. I think noise also has a lot to do with what we perceive to be a harder pushing prop. If you could completely silent the noise (both prop and engine) I think you would be shocked at what you "feel".

All this is just my humble opinion, and not based on anything more than "redneck logic".

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

lariat wrote:
DDSBC wrote:I would love to see some thrust numbers and not seat of the pants reviews
I agree. I personally think there is a reason there isn't a lot of this data out there. I think they all (not just the mentioned blades) would be very, very close in total thrust produced. I do think some would peak at different rpm's, but very little total difference. I think noise also has a lot to do with what we perceive to be a harder pushing prop. If you could completely silent the noise (both prop and engine) I think you would be shocked at what you "feel".

All this is just my humble opinion, and not based on anything more than "redneck logic".
Agree 100%...same results, different Rpm's :thumbleft:
Marsh Master Step
RAZORX

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

So your saying a 72" H blade that's 8" wide is going to push the same as a whisper tip or Q? I think a wider blade is going to push better at all RPMs.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Post by billybob »

B-White wrote:
Dan520 wrote:id have to agree with flcracker...i have the NGQ and not sure how you could tear up the winglets with out tearing up the blade also
Lol.. hit the transom. We run ours CLOSE!! I could have left a little but went ahead and cut it off. It was just as quiet with out them. I'm no prop expert but I think the quieter noise signature is coming from the swept edges more than the winglets. If you take the time to look at the "Q" compared to the "NGQ" you will notice the NGQ is swept a lot more. Same with the "R" vs the "NGR"......like I said, Im no expert but I sometimes look at the obvious and a past the BS :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
So any prop probrebly would have hit te transom then? The winglets don't stick out on an NGQ.
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Post by billybob »

fl cracker wrote:So your saying a 72" H blade that's 8" wide is going to push the same as a whisper tip or Q? I think a wider blade is going to push better at all RPMs.
2 blade or 3? Not either! Lol
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

billybob wrote:
B-White wrote:
So any prop probrebly would have hit te transom then? The winglets don't stick out on an NGQ.
No...the Q that was taken off didn't hit. And I Dont think every prop would have. But the NGH did...
Marsh Master Step
RAZORX

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

fl cracker wrote:So your saying a 72" H blade that's 8" wide is going to push the same as a whisper tip or Q? I think a wider blade is going to push better at all RPMs.
No Im not saying that,,, Im also not saying an IVO or WARP will push like a Sabor or RAZORX... WHISPER TIP vs Q..yes!!! Sabor vs RazorX...yes.....lol,,, Yall are killing me. :banghead:
Marsh Master Step
RAZORX

Dan520
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dan520 »

i prob would have hand spun the prop to make sure everything would clear if it was me. And also they recommend that you have 1.5-2 inches of clearance from what Terry told me if i remember correctly...

"under construction"

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Bingo Dan!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White »

Wish I would have talked to Yall genus's first....dang!!!
Maybe I need to go move the rigging ahead on all 3 raceboats,, they only have a 1/4"...Lmfao....Yall are hilarious!!
Yall can have thris thread, I'm out,,,, the coolaid is to strong for me and Yall seem to be drinking it up!!! (Hell, put winglets on your f'ing drinking cup. Gotta make it faster!!..)
Marsh Master Step
RAZORX

Dan520
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dan520 »

Do what ya need to do "genius" is how that's actually spelled but my NGQ still has the winglets on it...

"under construction"

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

B-White wrote:Wish I would have talked to Yall genus's first....dang!!!
Maybe I need to go move the rigging ahead on all 3 raceboats,, they only have a 1/4"...Lmfao....Yall are hilarious!!
Yall can have thris thread, I'm out,,,, the coolaid is to strong for me and Yall seem to be drinking it up!!! (Hell, put winglets on your f'ing drinking cup. Gotta make it faster!!..)

Hey all the ladies Kotex have winglets.

But serious there no real prof just hear say. This forum is the Fisherman, Hunter, Airboaters and LIARS CLUB.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

There is much proof that winglets do what they advertise; they reduce wingtip vortices, which reduces drag and thus increase the efficiency of the airfoil. Here are some excerpts from a NASA article:

"Winglets increase an aircraft's operating efficiency by reducing what is called induced drag at the tips of the wings. An aircraft's wing is shaped to generate negative pressure on the upper surface and positive pressure on the lower surface as the aircraft moves forward. This unequal pressure creates lift across the upper surface and the aircraft is able to leave the ground and fly.

Unequal pressure, however, also causes air at each wingtip to flow outward along the lower surface, around the tip, and inboard along the upper surface producing a whirlwind of air called a wingtip vortex. The effect of these vortices is increased drag and reduced lift that results in less flight efficiency and higher fuel costs."

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/abou ... -DFRC.html

Granted, these studies are for wings, which are the airfoils upon which an aircraft flies. For our purposes, the propeller blade is an airfoil whose 'lift' is converted to thrust, which provides the motive force for our boats. The reduction of wingtip vortices (which also decreases drag) lowers the noise signature of the propeller which is certainly a social benefit. Any reduction in drag is translated to an increase in efficiency. This increase in efficiency results in the performance of the propeller being one of larger diameter without the increased tip speed (the lower the tip speed, the lower the drag and sound signature). For instance, Hartzell (a manufacturer of airplane propellers) recommends their 72" propellor be replaced with a 70" when using their Q-Tip series. The benefits cited are lower noise and higher efficiency. In the case of the Sensenich NG series of propellers, they are utilizing two technologies that increase efficiency: winglets and scimitar blade shape. "Science!"

With all that being said, is this increase in efficiency going to be something you can feel? I can only go by my own experience and that is that my boat performs much better with my new prop than my old. But, again, the argument could be that it is any combination of design differences that has created the change (e.g. 4 blade vs. 3 blade, 81" vs. 80", scimitar blade with winglet vs. box end). The one thing I can absolutely attest to and that is the lower sound signature. That is clearly due to blade shape and the winglet. Tons of scientific research that backs it.

I, too, would like to see some quantitative proof of the performance increase propeller designs provide. It would be interesting to see, say, a comparison of a boat equipped with a 3-blade, 80" NGR vs. a 3-blade 80" Whispertip EX vs. a 3-blade 80" Water Walker Sirius. All three have 13" chords and 80" diameters. Static thrust, acceleration, top speed, sound level and fuel efficiency. Any takers?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY »

terrible ted wrote:

But serious there no real prof just hear say. This forum is the Fisherman, Hunter, Airboaters and LIARS CLUB.
Ha ha ha! :lol: Isn't that the truth! Well said.
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

terrible ted wrote:

Lmao !!! :lol:
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

supersnake60
Southern Airboat Member

Post by supersnake60 »

talk to the magazine co. to get airboat shop to do test on propeller design and thrust test and what propeller is best for cm and ac that my 2 cents

Return to “Prop Talk”