tsl super swampers

Swamp buggies...buildin'em & runnin'em
john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

tsl super swampers

Post by john1edwards »

Does anybody run these on their buggy. How do they compare with tractor tire. :scratch:
Just an Orange Engine, Nothing Fancy . Proud to be an American
flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: tsl super swampers

Post by flcracker9 »

No comparison at all, TSLs are not even close to a tractor tire. I've run almost every mud tire you can imagine, and once I went to a V-tread tractor tire, it was night and day. You have to spin the heck out of a DOT tire to clean them, where a V-tread will idle through in most cases. Heck, I even liked my 11.00 X 20 military treads better than the TSLs on my buggy! I've run 16.9 X 24 Goodyear DuraTorque's since 2002 on a 1 ton drivetrain with 5.86 gears, never looked back.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ
john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

flcracker9 wrote:No comparison at all, TSLs are not even close to a tractor tire. I've run almost every mud tire you can imagine, and once I went to a V-tread tractor tire, it was night and day. You have to spin the heck out of a DOT tire to clean them, where a V-tread will idle through in most cases. Heck, I even liked my 11.00 X 20 military treads better than the TSLs on my buggy! I've run 16.9 X 24 Goodyear DuraTorque's since 2002 on a 1 ton drivetrain with 5.86 gears, never looked back.
I ran 9.00 x 20s on my buggy they went good but would spin. I got rid of them for they are to big of tire for my jeep axles I have a dana 25 front and a dana 41 reAR. I am running the 36 surplus hummer tires. true power makes a 12.4 x16 v tread that would be perfect size for me :)
mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

X 2 Flcracker9

If you drive it on the street, the TSL are great but won't last long. But if it's a buggy and doesent need to be be DOT, just get tires designed strictly for mud.. Tractor tires.
Mark 7:9
flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 »

I ran 9.00 x 20s on my buggy they went good but would spin. I got rid of them for they are to big of tire for my jeep axles I have a dana 25 front and a dana 41 reAR. I am running the 36 surplus hummer tires. true power makes a 12.4 x16 v tread that would be perfect size for me :) [/quote]

You're kinda limited with that drivetrain! I'd almost say stay with a DOT mud tire with what you have, V-treads can be tough on the drivetrain if it's not beefy enough, but if you drive sensible, you may be ok. I ran 14.9 x 24 V-treads on 1/2 ton running gear for years on a lighter weight buggy, never broke 1 axle. Just gotta know your limitations.
john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

my dad runs 9-24s on his but they are pretty skinny. I talked about running 11-24s. like u said driving sensible
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

I ran a 11.00 x 24 on a68 cj 5 with I think 5.40 gears no problem
john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

dougeey wrote:I ran a 11.00 x 24 on a68 cj 5 with I think 5.40 gears no problem
thanks for chimin doug :salute:
peanutbutter kid
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by peanutbutter kid »

tsl's are a great mud bog tire but don't go at all in real big cypress type mud!!!!as dot tires go i can say from experence gumbo mudders go the best by far...on our current buggy we have 20.5 r-1 on rear and 18.5 r1 on front :rebel:
flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 »

peanutbutter kid wrote:tsl's are a great mud bog tire but don't go at all in real big cypress type mud!!!!as dot tires go i can say from experence gumbo mudders go the best by far...on our current buggy we have 20.5 r-1 on rear and 18.5 r1 on front :rebel:
Funny you mention Gumbos, my Son recently built a 1/2 ton mud truck, and I told him the same thing. He found a set of 17/40/15 Gumbo Mudders, liked them enough that he bought a second set when he found some for sale (they are sitting on my shop now) He's actually got the truck for sale/trade for air boat, in the classifieds here on SA. Don't see Gumbos much anymore since they quit making them. I had a set of 40s on my 72 F250 back in the eighties.
90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 90chevy396 »

when it comes to mudding you have 2 options for traversing deep mudd.
1) tsl supper swamper bogger for the high horsepower spin the heck out of them to go somewhere.
2) v-tread tractor tire which only requires 6mph to clean out the treads.
had over 700 hp with 4:10 gears and 44 boggers and would go where I pointed it and tires could find bottom but engine almost never went below 3k when in the deep mud. and then had a 2 1/2 ton with 19.5x24 goodyears that were cut and scooped with 6.17:1 and could almost idle anywhere I wanted and when you stabbed it you were throwing globs of mud rather than spraying mud like the boggers.
as for the tsl swampers the work great for a light rig with little power but put in some weight or sloppy muck and she will stick in a heartbeat
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

I have a buddy that switched from 21.5 Goodyears to Swampers for the simple reason the Swampers rode better. We go mainly in Big Cypress and since the Feds think the bunny huggers need a bike path so they don't have to get their feet wet, the buggy trails have become less "fearsome" than they used to be. No need to have a tractor tire pounding along on a rock road when Swampers pull decent enough and ride better. To echo what others have said, great street legal tire, but can't hold a candle to a tractor tire in the traction dept.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop
john1edwards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by john1edwards »

Duece wrote:I have a buddy that switched from 21.5 Goodyears to Swampers for the simple reason the Swampers rode better. We go mainly in Big Cypress and since the Feds think the bunny huggers need a bike path so they don't have to get their feet wet, the buggy trails have become less "fearsome" than they used to be. No need to have a tractor tire pounding along on a rock road when Swampers pull decent enough and ride better. To echo what others have said, great street legal tire, but can't hold a candle to a tractor tire in the traction dept.

Duece
We used to run the cypress with the buggy I have now, not so much any more. I run river ranch mostly which is a little different and north fl. like I say I am running those military surplus 36 hummer tires, but they spin alot and try to pick my spots.

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 90chevy396 »

john1edwards wrote:
Duece wrote:I have a buddy that switched from 21.5 Goodyears to Swampers for the simple reason the Swampers rode better. We go mainly in Big Cypress and since the Feds think the bunny huggers need a bike path so they don't have to get their feet wet, the buggy trails have become less "fearsome" than they used to be. No need to have a tractor tire pounding along on a rock road when Swampers pull decent enough and ride better. To echo what others have said, great street legal tire, but can't hold a candle to a tractor tire in the traction dept.

Duece
We used to run the cypress with the buggy I have now, not so much any more. I run river ranch mostly which is a little different and north fl. like I say I am running those military surplus 36 hummer tires, but they spin alot and try to pick my spots.

if you are running river ranch get a v-tread tire and be conservative on the throttle. remember you don't need a lot of wheel speed to clean a v-tread. check out www.tgwforums.com and yu will find many people with buggies or trucks looking to sell v-treads. best improvement to any dedicated offroad vehicle
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER
dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

I

Image[/quote]

I hunted river ranch in the 80' and 90' with a jeep deck buggy started with mudder tires then went to a 16.9 x16.1 r1 tread then went to the 24" tractor tread they were the best for the money and I could go any were up there. The 16.9 x16.1 was best in the cypress and glades and Corbett.if you are going to buy get the 11.00 x24 for river ranch.
Doug
I still have land in there are the four wheeler still all over the place?

Return to “Buggy Talk”