SPRINGFIELD MODEL 88 22 CAL

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

SPRINGFIELD MODEL 88 22 CAL

Postby JAMES » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm

JUST WONDERING WHATS IT WORTH I THINK ITS PRETTY OLD ITS A 22 BOLT ACTION SS
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

sberryman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: SPRINGFIELD MODEL 88 22 CAL

Postby sberryman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:10 pm

you got any pics ? $$$$$$???????
"The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives." ~Native Proverb~

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 pm

sberryman wrote:you got any pics ? $$$$$$???????

NO I DONT ILL TRY TO POST SOME
DO U NO WHAT ITS WORTH
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Just a cursory search but I cant find that Springfield ever made a model 88. I see Winchester and Marlin model 88. Are you certain its a Springfield and are you certain its a Model 88? Is it single shot Bolt or magazine fed Bolt action?

I'll dig a bit deeper after we get a picture. Might be a keeper if its rare.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Whitebear wrote:Just a cursory search but I cant find that Springfield ever made a model 88. I see Winchester and Marlin model 88. Are you certain its a Springfield and are you certain its a Model 88? Is it single shot Bolt or magazine fed Bolt action?

I'll dig a bit deeper after we get a picture. Might be a keeper if its rare.

ITS A SINGLE SHOT BOLT ACTION J STEVENS SPRINGFIELD
MODEL 88 I TRYED SEARCHING I FOUND SOME INFO BUT LITTLE

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Hmmmm, I may have to go off line to find this one. May take a few days. Meantime get that picture posted.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 am

the pics of the gun are in my photos look under james
thanks

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 am

OK James, I'm going to venture an "opinion". Based on what I see in the pictures.

The wood is a rather generic wood and finish.
The finish on the metal is either not in good condition or its Parkerized, hard to tell.
The trigger guard is either plastic or maybe pot metal with a black finish on it.

There is nothing noteworthy about the gun to set it asied form may other inexpensive single shot .22s of the era.

The single thing is that its a Springfield which says military basic training rifle.

May have been used in some ROTC High School marksman program.

So I would say its value is around $75- $100 considering gun prices are inflating these days.

Its likely from the '50s - '60s era manufacture.

If it shoots good its worth as much to keep and use as it is to sell. Maybe worth more that way. Might be the very thing to pass on to one of the kids for their first gun.

Id say go to a gun collector (not a dealer) and get an opinion form them for whatever collectors value it may have.

That's my best guess man. Like any opinion, its just that, an opinion.

Scotty

grant
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby grant » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 am

Found the quote below from a collector forum.

"hello,,your sons 22springfield was actually a stevens knockoff ,,these were made by stevens and sold under the springfield trade name ..they were economy grade models designed for the sportsmen on a budgit,,as for the brown vs blueing it's common for blued rifles to turn brown with age and if it was a high dollar rifle id say to leave it be because collector look for the patina or brown color to show the correct ageing of the rifle,,but in your sons rifles case it's not extremly old ,,and my refrence books say it was made from the late 70's to the early 80"s and value would be around 100 bucks ..give or take a little ,,you could try cleaning it with 000 or 0000 steel wool and some light oil and it might clean up pretty nicely,,good little starter guns for kids or kitchen gun for small varmits..but just not alot of collector intrest.."
"Don't Taze me Bro"

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JAMES » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 am

thanks guys

huntinbeast
Southern Airboat Member

Postby huntinbeast » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:36 am

to Mr Whitebear and Mr grant .. your both way off on the year of the 88 .the last year any gun was made from this plant was 1935 from the chicoopee falls ,mass plant .so as of to date this gun is 76 years old.and with no serial #'s on the gun it's hard to tell just how old it is. :proud: but it's at least 76years old . and it's definately a collectors piece :proud:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:09 pm

I did say check with a collector not a dealer right? Even as a collectors piece less than 100 years old its value won't be a lot. I had a Remington Model 2 that was worth a bit less than $100.

work2slide
Southern Airboat Member

Postby work2slide » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:15 pm

The military used these springfield 88 22cal rifles back before WWII for training. The one I just sold had been converted to 22 hornet and I sold it for $600. I have seen them appraise out up to $2000 in really good condition and yes they have no serial# are markings on the barrel

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:31 pm

How about quote a reference showing collectors value in the rages you mentioned. I still haven't found anything on this gun.

work2slide
Southern Airboat Member

Postby work2slide » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:14 pm

the gun shop I do business at looked it up in his books. He said he hadnt seen one in over 20 years but he knew what it was when he saw it. The rifle I sold was in really good gondition and he said if it hadnt been converted it could be worth up to $1500 going buy the book but im not into collecting old guns so I sold it.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:43 am

Anybody ever seen a Daisy .22 rifle? Yup, same company that makes the BB guns.

I actually own one. It's been fired once.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

huntinbeast
Southern Airboat Member

Postby huntinbeast » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 am

sorry to up set you Mr. Whitebear i was just stateing the fact that it was alot older then what you thought.
and sorry to hear that your rem. sold for under 100$.. happy to hear that it could be worth up to 1500$ seeing that i pay 20$ for it from a guy who got it from his wife's father . (glad he hate's gun's)...lol... Olf art never seen one do you have pic's. i would love to see it. it sound's really cool

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 am

No sweat man, I'm not upset in any way. I just try to get some printed reference before I accept an old guns value. I spent quite some time looking for this gun and found nearly nothing on it. Asking $1,500 for an old gum and the gun having a history of regular sales at that price are two vastly different things.

Olf I did find a reference for the Daisy .22s. Several models were made. I found two references that it could be valued up to $1,500 but I found no reference where anyone ha bought one for that price.

There are lots of gun forums and clubs on line and you can "usually" find someone telling what they paid for a particular old gun -vs- what someone says they are worth.

In general a history of multiple sales/purchases at a certain price is what establishes the value at that level not a single sales transaction report. Need to have some buyers reports in the mix.

There are some published books out there that are accepted as references for old gun prices but like anything else they are the publishers opinion. I have yet to buy or sell any particular gun for anywhere near the prices in these books. I distrust them cause its a one sided opinion not a transaction report. With no buyers reports its just fun reading.

Anyway, I'm not big time gun collector, just buy and sell stuff from time to time. I seem to pay less and ask less than most references, but for me its just fun.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Whitebear wrote:Olf I did find a reference for the Daisy .22s. Several models were made. I found two references that it could be valued up to $1,500 but I found no reference where anyone ha bought one for that price.

They made two different models (I think), both of them in '88. One was magazine fed and had a wooden stock ..... the other (the one I own) is a little single shot bolt action with a black nylon stock in .22 LR.
They only made them for around four months that year and then got afraid of the product liability lawsuits (by moving away from BB's) and stopped production.
I bought mine new in '88 and fired it once just to see what it sounded like. The little gun only measures 32" long, and would be a 'hoot' for some youngins plinking with it with some sub-sonic ammo.

I don't have a way to post any pictures right now but I'll see what I can come up with.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Is this it Ken?

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Here is one reference for the asking price of a Springfield 88 .22. This one appears to be a tubular magazine not a single shot however.

http://www.oldbridgerifle.com/NJ-gun-craigslist.cfm

"rifle
22cal. tube fed, bolt action, Springfield 88. $ 75.00 obo. 732-721-1427. - Bud"

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:54 am

Whitebear wrote:Is this it Ken?

That's the clip fed model, Scotty. I'm gonna see if I can get a photo up of the little bolt action. Thanks!

Return to “Gun Talk”