Always Wondered?

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Always Wondered?

Post by Whitebear »

Having first been infected with Alaska by movies and brochures, then living there for a while, I was always told theres a girl behind every tree. When I got there There was no real shortage of trees, but damn the girls was hard to find. Now I think I have found the reason. The moose have all the girls and us simple humans can only sit and watch.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Always Wondered?

Post by WaterWalker »

Whitebear:

I've wondered if I was up there while you were? It was for a couple of years sometime after Alaska became a state and just before the big earthquake around Anchorage. For some time, I ran with a girl there that called herself "The Alaskan Maid". She was a dog sled driver and her name was Barbara. She drove a light colored fairly new (back then) Mercury coupe. There were so few girls around that I wondered if you might have known her too?
Working to make airboating better

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

I don't care for that movie. Some idiot tourist might see it and think that is how moose are up here. That moose is obviously hand fed since birth or very young and imprinted on the gal or people in general. In real life, somebody who approches a moose gets trampled 99% of the time. Moose trample more people in Alaska then get attacked by bears. Occasionally people get killed by moose. Be careful around wild moose, give them a lot of room. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

WaterWalker I was there in the mid 90s, though I began working on the pipeline communications here in FL a decade or more earlier. The outfit I was working for did the Sat Com and the Microwave control links. Later I just moved there when I heard there was more Sat Com work.

akblackdawg you are 100% right. This post was just for humor. The first winter I was there some old granny tried to run a moose off her front yard with a broom. They found her punctured and trampled body about 200 yards into the woods. Moose eat good but are not to be trifled with.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

akmike30
Southern Airboat Member

Always Wondered?

Post by akmike30 »

Awww but I thought you could pet the moose.....

mad_mike
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mad_mike »

My woman has always wanted a moose. Super cool vid, even if it is a "ranch moose". Much better than a bleeding heart wolf propaganda video.

mascara
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by mascara »

The girl behind every tree aside, wonder how does moose meat taste?

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by gobblerD »

I thought they used Moose for allot of everyday jobs in Alaska.

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by WaterWalker »

gobblerD wrote:I thought they used Moose for allot of everyday jobs in Alaska.

Wow! GobblerD. what a picture!

My brother Mitchell, went to Alaska with me in the early '60s. Among other things we did was to "file on 160 acres" as a homestead some where north of Big Lake and Willow.

If we had caught such a fine animal as that, we could'a probably been able to get our clearing done, "prove up" OK and everything would be different now. As it turned out, Mitchell missed his fishing in the Indian River and bugged out on me. Still, if I had of had such a moose, I might have been able to "get're done" by myself. Barbara did offer to help but the moose would have been much better.
Working to make airboating better

Return to “Alaska Airboaters”