• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Safe distance for the prop to be inside and open hull fiberglass boat

Pirate954

So I'm building a fiberglass open hull vote for my son and I was wondering how deep and how close to the transom is the safe distance for the prop to be on the inside of the boat

You are correct so it's a 13-6 square nose fiberglass hull 83 inch transom 19 in depth with a small block Chevy direct drive 72-in Sensnich H series prop the way I have the stand now it sits about 3 in deep in the hull and about two and a half to 3 in away from the transom so what do you think20220523_094428.jpg

Set the prop at least 6" from transom, I would go a bit further forward being that it is a 13'6" hull, now, as far as height goes,,, is the steering going to be dog leg-drag link, or cable controlled, if cable, leave height where it is.

Redneck rule of thumb is 1 beer can spacing/clearance inside the transom. A beer can measures a bit shy of 5", 6" won't hurt.

Years ago I gave faith a try and used a 12" Crescent Wrench to measure the snapper we were catching because I had nothing else. Sure enough, a 12" crescent is exactly 12" long (same for 10", 8" etc.).

Height should be as low as possible with say 3" minimum clearance all around.
is the steering going to be dog leg-drag link, or cable controlled, if cable, leave height where it is.
This is the part that confuses me, dog leg normally limits how low can I go, cable is the cheating way.

Redneck rule of thumb is 1 beer can spacing/clearance inside the transom. A beer can measures a bit shy of 5", 6" won't hurt.

Years ago I gave faith a try and used a 12" Crescent Wrench to measure the snapper we were catching because I had nothing else. Sure enough, a 12" crescent is exactly 12" long (same for 10", 8" etc.).

Height should be as low as possible with say 3" minimum clearance all around.

This is the part that confuses me, dog leg normally limits how low can I go, cable is the cheating way.
Thanks for the info I used all the redneck measurements it came out perfect thanks buddy

Now you fellas spooking me. 13.6 high side Wardaddy hull. Angle valve 0540 w/3 blade Q. I have about 1 inch between blade and transom gusset brace…maybe 2 inches between actual transom …never been an issue…..setting right where Wardaddy put it in 2014……

This subject is like politics. When you start looking around there’s all kinds of setups,,,,

Back