• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

people that helped that night

john1edwards

I just wanted wanted to mention a another airboater who helped that night. His name was Jim Jorge. He died in the 90s, but he went out there that night with his airboat to help people out. I don't know if anybody on here knew him, but he was a great person. He was a contractor in Miami Springs.

you know John, that happened before I was even born, but my understanding was he was pulling persons out of the mud and taking them to the levy, My understanding was that plane didn't crash to far from the levy. it crashed in 3B. maybe someone else on this site may have known him.

Oh I had no idea wha you were referring to .. The flight 401 crash ... ok got it now .. I don't know I wasn't out there that night either but they needed all the help they could get ... and certainly were not recognized for all they done to help.

Seems like in the movie or documentary this was mentioned, but like said, he had long ago died and no way to talk with him.

Bud was not alone that night,and I don't think we ever got the name of the other boat operator?

I remember distinctly waking up on my hands and knees in about 6 inches of water totally focused on the smell of fuel," survivor Joe Popson said. "The first thing I heard was a lot of voices, people screaming for help, moaning. I too joined that chorus of screaming for help."

One two month old baby was thrown from her parents' arms during impact, and floated helplessly in the water as her mother frantically searched for her.

"After walking and walking, she found me, I was cradled by cables and debris," young survivor Christina Casado said.

The first rescue helicopters couldn't pinpoint the crash site because it was pitch black that winter night. But out of the heart of darkness came a beacon of light. A pair of air boaters, hunting for frogs, saw the fireball from flight 401 and sped over to help.

"The sound of that air boat was a sign of hope," said stewardess Beverly Raposa. "Bullfrog Bud Marquis arrived in his airboat about 15 minutes after the crash."

"I shut the engine off, I could hear the screaming and yelling," Marquis said.

there where several good folks that came to help them folks, and yes there is a levy right at the crash site, it was a big help im sure that night.

Ya know, through it all, Bud never wanted the recognition nor the lime light, and as I remember the threads running as this all unfolded, it took a long time to get him to understand anyone wanted to thank him or even cared about it. And then he took some more time to accept it.

Talking to Bud back at the AAOF campground that afternoon, after that amazing ride back out that day with Beverly Raposa and the other crash survivors for the ceremony held there, I asked Bud what had scared him the most that night after he and his buddy arrived.

He told me that there was so much jet fuel in the water that when he stepped out of his boat, his legs began to chemically burn almost immediately, and that he was scared that a spark would turn the whole area into an inferno. He was really afraid that he and all the others would be burned alive before help came, but he kept on trying to do what he could anyway.

Bud fit the classic profile of a true hero. Just a common man presented with an uncommon challenge and he rose to the occasion as he saw best. I agree with Ken, the man was more scared than seeking any kind of adulation. Just doing what he could.

Point being that those who were there helped at their own peril, in spite of their fears.

If I recall correctly, Mack Jones and Marvin Smith were there with airboats, helping with the extraction process. There were alot of people who would have died, had it not been for the selfless efforts of those brave men that night. If anyone would like specifics, just PM me.

I know Bud Marquis did not consider himself a hero, and he told me he only did that night, what he thought any of us Airboaters would have done.

I think he was proudest in the end to consider himself an Airboater.

I know that after everything that the "AIRBOATERS" did for him, and fixing up his boat, and getting him back out in the Glades riding it again..... all the unknown Airboaters who cared about Bullfrog Bud to pitch on, and get him in the grass again....
he was super proud to have always been another of us........ an Airboater.
June_26_Marsh_08_sml_008.jpg

To the unknown Airboaters who were out there that night..... Jim Jorge.... we salute you. :salute:

Does anyone know of a picture gallery of the day the memorial took place? I helped launch all the boats with John C .Was a great day to remember. :old_glory:

Out of all the things I have done in my life, helping with getting Bud recognized for what he did that night is one of the things that I am the proudest :D

Good remembrance.
It takes us back to those events where airboaters pulled together...then and now.

Here's to all the unmentioned that helped that night.
Thanks for the new names john1edwards & OLD MAN JONES.
We honor them also.
Sip, sip.

Here are a few more from that day

Attachments

• Bud Cover shot.jpg
    Bud Cover shot.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 18,545
  • DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 18,546
  • DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg