• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Is everyone paying extra for ac oil?

So is this mineral oil?
we've been arguing about that for years. these boys around here think its breakin oil. i say its not. ive been running it for about four years and havent had any problems. i sure would like for someone that knows what they're talking about to chime in.

we've been arguing about that for years. these boys around here think its breakin oil. i say its not. ive been running it for about four years and havent had any problems. i sure would like for someone that knows what they're talking about to chime in.
Well call them.

So is this mineral oil?
For use where a mineral ashless dispersant oil is recommended such as: • Lycoming • Continental • Pratt & Whitney • Radial • Most Radial • Radial & Horizontally Opposed • And for other Aviation Piston Engines

Tha Amalie was covered pretty thoroughly last year. Break in oil is straight 50 weight mineral oil, with no additives. The Amalie has the Ashless Dispersants, same as Shell W100. I just wonder why they are so lazy as to show a car motor V8 Airboat on the label.

Amalie oil

Where is Fenner on this one?

Rural King Ocala was stocked up with Areo Shell 100

My question is I have heard in the distant past that Aircraft engines not used daily or very frequently should be sure the oil has some Lycoming cam additive spec?

Let’s hear from the experts

My question is I have heard in the distant past that Aircraft engines not used daily or very frequently should be sure the oil has some Lycoming cam additive spec?

From the Amalie Oil thread that I linked to.

I have broken in at least 100 engines with ashless dispersant oil, no issues, the Amalie oil is fine, has same properties as aeroshell.

There are multiple types of Aeroshell, straight and multi weight. In SAE 50 straight 50 weight there are 3:

Aeroshell 100 - Straight Mineral oil, no ashless dispersants. For Engine break in
Aeroshell W100 - Straight Mineral oil with ashless dispersants. Standard Use
Aeroshell W100 Plus - Straight Mineral oil with ashless dispersants plus the Lycoming Cam additive. Standard Use

I have no idea why Shell uses the "100" in the name when it is a 50 weight oil.

Amalie is equivalent to the W100.
Phillips Victory is equivalent to the W100 Plus

I do not know how similar Camguard is to the Lycoming cam additive. The Lycoming additive is specified to stick to the cam and tappet bodies to prevent corrosion during storage. Camguard also claims corrosion protection.

I find the Philips Victory to be the best value since it includes the Lycoming cam additive. The Lycoming Cam additive sells for $68 for 6 ounces on Aircraft Spruce and you need 2 for a 12 qt case ($136 plus tax & shipping). So even if they gave a case of Amalie away with every 2 bottles of the additive, an $87 case of Philips Victory is way cheaper.

Lycoming Oil Additive LW-16702 - 6 Oz | Aircraft Spruce

Nothing against Amalie, but note my other thread, looks like I best be running some cam additives! If Amalie included a cam additive (of any kind) and the price was right, I'd have no issue running it.

Well to be totally honest Aeroshell keeps everything nice and clean, hence Slidins thread about the IO-540 overhaul, the internals are spotless.
The 220/470 conversion I built for my personal boat in '95 was broken in on aeroshell 100, 50 wt ashless dispersant, I switched to Rotella 15/40, zero ill effects, my brother ran my dad's old 220/470 on Kendall 50 wt, pissed off many game wardens, was still nice and clean, just sat a while, needed a valve job, ran strong after that, was overworked by the next owner.

Fenner

I imagine that the old Kendall 50wt had a good dose of zinc and phosphorous in it.

Interesting to hear that you have had good results with the 15w-40 Rotella.

The aircraft oil at Rural King is not the PLUS fyi just the regular W100 AeroShell.

Back