• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Fun motor with junk Shop Dropping's

Waterthunder

I haven't been on the site in years. We have been slammed in the shop but I'm taking on a fun project for me. My goal is to build a nasty ass motor with all junk shop dropping parts. Going to be fun and push some envelopes using damaged parts. 1st Off is Im using a block from another marine motor company a customer just gave it to me after he blew it up. It kicked a rod and spun two main bearings. Then I loaned it to a customer to use as a jig block for his rigging. He left it outside and now its a rust bucket. Anyway the block is junk and pretty much worthless. So were welding it back together with a comic bandaid and pushing in a new sleeve and I rounded up 2 used caps from another Jig motor and will give it a shot to get the line bore within acceptable ranges.

SD-block-1-600x800.jpg

SD-block-600x800.jpg

Hey guy's how have you all been. this shop dropping motor will be for a gearbox boat. I hope to build a really really fast shop dropping motor to play with. Should have the heads fully repaired and back together these week. The heads were really tore up. 5 or 6 years ago we had some guide issues with Brodix heads. Their heads came with the softest strait up bronze phosphorus guides. In a airboat they would wear out in 50 hours. Most aftermarket heads come with a manganese guide witch I have seen very little wear at 3,000 plus hours! Both heads had wore out guides witch caused the valve head to break off and then destroyed the heads. So their junk and I would never use them accept for myself.
heads-4.jpg

I have no doubt that this motor build from scrap will run better than the majority of motors out on the water!

Thanks guy's I had to step away for awhile. Man this block is killing me I had to go thru a few sets of caps to find some that were fairly close so we could line hone it. Going to start on that next week. I have a very low time 4.00 crank with smoked rods and mains. Customer installed a oil cooler but the sandwich didn't lay flush on the pan so it sprayed all the oil out and they managed to keep running without oil until. The bearings started melting. I hope the crank cleans up at .010 and .010. Will post some carnage pics soon.

Back