• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Dec 3/4 toy drive

Tide Runner

I/m back from Thomas landings and with talking with Miss Betty.She would love to host the toy drive. She has a screen room that could be used if wanted and she said she would have a caterer with ribs/chicken ect. the rooms would be first come, and there is room for camping. The road is not too bad and with the dry season coming should'nt get any worse. Betty would also like for someone to send her a flyer to put up at the store if thats possible. So if you guy's want to hold it at Thomas Lands the stage is set.
Wayne

Will the water still be there like the last time. Would love to do a run like that before the water is to low.

I agree with a daytime run out there before the dry season. BUT... this run will be almost 2 months after the last. And into the start of the winter dry season. Will there be enough water for a boat like ours which will not run dry? If so, I vote for Kissimmee! If not... We'll have to pass this one or hope for St. Johns.

If the road is passable to a compact car, then we can invite news media (assuming worst case scenerio where a reporter would arrive in a small car). If not, and we piss off a newsperson... It may not give us the best report. And if we want to invite the general public out to hang out with us and bring donations, well, they need a safe and passable road.

I have a strong urge to say "skrew the news" and just do something nice for some needy kids ON OUR OWN. :) And while we're at it, enjoy each other's company, and get our last chance to ride some nice trails before they dry up till the next wet season.

Put me down for Thomas Landing, with just us, no news.

Those from the east coast can put in at Overstreet and shoot around the lake to meet us. I'll probably put in at Camp Mack (or maybe Overstreet) and make the ride to Thomas Landing by sea.

We ought to begin to make plans for the next ride too... so plans can be made and all can be happy. Is anyone up for a new years eve ride?

matt.

Well if you guys go to Thomas Landing I doubt myself and Chris will go. We were just over there at the last ride and as far as I am concerned, the road is too bad to have media come through there. It is going to be busy because it is a weekend with four wheelers and swamp buggies.
I thought we were supposed to go to all different areas to ride? But that is me.

AT this point the road is much better than it has been in a long time.... Still has holes but they are for the most part dry,I think even a small compact car could go to thomas's with no problem. and the airboat trails have plenty of water now ... By Dec 3/4 I would think it will be pretty dry. If we get cold fronts that bring some rain with them then It will mostlikly keep some water in the trails. just my 2 cents...Once everone decides witch way the toy ride is going Thomas landing or not I or someone needs to let Miss Betty know.

The purpose of the ride was to benefit kids who may not have a christmas otherwise that compares to what most folks have gotten used to. I once again seem to have stepped in a pile of doo doo without even trying. I suggested thomas landing to help Ms. Betty at the same time. I suggested the central florida area to appeal to a larger group of boaters. Time was critical to make a decision and get support from other clubs and or boaters. Once again good intentions seem to have gone awry. I will make my donation to the MARINES TOYS FOR TOTS DRIVE in my area. If there is a run I probably will come if there is not a run I will probably run somewhere anyways. THE PURPOSE SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN LOST ON THIS ONE.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes Country. I never meant to do that. My only thought was that we could go somewhere new. We were just in the Lake Kissimmee chain at the last ride. Another thing is the ABATE toy run, there will be alot of press here already for that. And the last thing, I know if I was a media person I would not want to ride down that long dirt dust bowl at that time. There will be four wheelers and swamp buggies all over.
But that was my suggestion. I have stepped up and said that I would help as much as I can no matter where we ride.
You are also right when you say it has taken a different direction and I want to apologize for being a part of that as well. Again, I was just making a suggestion.
Again I want to apologize to all if I stepped on your toes or offended you in any way, that was not my intentions at all!!

I don't know miss betty but I can sympathize with small businesses. Let's plan a big get togehter there early next year and plan a big turn out/ cookout.
I think for the Toys for Kids and good airboating PR. We shold have this run at a location that will be more accessible for press. I do not see anyone of the press likely to drive down that road to Thomas Landing, unless it is a huge story for them. I think your Idea cntry is great but I don't think it would be the best for this run.
No need for anyone to get bent out of shape, lets just plan another run in say.......Feb for a big cook out at her place.(unless something is already planned.

Maybe you can help head that one up Cntry?

Okay, If what I/m reading here is correct then no toy drive at Thomas Landing 3/4...If you folks want I will call her and let her know just wont work this time. But maybe we will plan a get togeather later on. I was the one talking to her so it maybe best if I let her know. just let me know.

Wayne.

I like the idea of doing a group thing there too. To give her a boost in spirit and pocketbok. And that area is big enough to support another ride without re-hashing the same stuff for sure!

In the chat I suggested a new years eve DAYTIME ride, and then a bonfire and party til midnight afterwards - maybe on a hill, maybe at Thomas Landing. It sounds fun to me. It would not have the need for press coverage and those sort of pressures.... just a party with our group.

Come to think of it, I may go there on my own anyway for that!

What is the vibe from some others? Then you would not have to tell her "we are not coming" but instead - "Let's change the date".

matt.

Moodfood, the date that I told her was 3/4 Dec. and she put it down on her calender... I/m sure she has no problem with changing it but I think she should know,No 3/4 Dec. if thats the decison.

Mood I like that idea
In the chat I suggested a new years eve DAYTIME ride, and then a bonfire and party til midnight afterwards - maybe on a hill, maybe at Thomas Landing. It sounds fun to me. It would not have the need for press coverage and those sort of pressures.... just a party with our group
I think that would be good so we should plan it as well

I agree Tide - I hate to see her turn away business over it. Tell her that the group decided to go somewhere else this time, but ask her about putting New Years Eve in pencil on her calander. And while there has been some positive support for that idea, it'd definitely be a smaller run.

matt.

For Immediate Release:

COLLECTING TOYS FOR CHILDREN….AIRBOAT STYLE SouthernAirboat.com and the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Team in Toys for Tots.

When: Saturday, December 3rd at 10:00 A.M

Where: Lake Washington Park
6000 Lake Washington Road, Melbourne
FROM I-95 take the SR-518/ Eau Gallie Blvd Exit 183 east 0.4 miles. Turn left on John Rodes and go 0.8 miles. Turn left on Aurora Blvd and turn right on Harlock. Turn left on Lake Washington Road and go 1.5 miles to the end of the road.
FROM US Hwy 1 go west 5.6 miles to the end of Lake Washington Road.

Sponsored By: Southern Airboat Online http://southernairboat.com/

Contact: Lauren Brown, Florida Airboat Association Public Information Officer (386) 871-8945 Email: Lkbrown46@aol.com

Volunteer Airboating Sportsmen from across Florida, Georgia and as far as Louisiana, will gather in Melbourne, Florida, on Saturday December 3rd, to dedicate a ride to collect toys for needy children. Members of the online group http://southernairboat.com/ will sponsor this event. This is another Airboat Sportsmen volunteer effort to provide charitable services to their communities. SouthernAirboat.com member Charity Chardt states, “Many families were devastated this season by all the storms and hurricanes. The money to purchase toys for the children may not be there. We want to help make this holiday season a happy one for the children and their families.�

Each airboat will be bringing in donations of new, unwrapped toys that will be given to the Melbourne office of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Toys for Tots. The public is welcome and encouraged to participate if desired. The toy donations may be brought to Lake Washington Park, beginning at 10:00 A.M. on the Saturday morning of the ride and continuing throughout the day until 3:00 P.M.
Members of the press are invited to attend and can be provided airboat rides and photo / copy opportunities upon request. Prior arrangements are requested. Contact Lauren Brown @ (386) 871-8945

END/:

Welcome to the group Jay Jay. :)

Hope to see you at the ride.

Just curious... how old are you? There may be some beers floating around at the dinner... just need to make sure you're over 21.

Make sure you bring at least one new, unopened, unwrapped toy for the kids.

matt.

Just an update. Myself and a friend of mine had an idea. We printed up several flyers and are going to different businesses in our area to donate more prizes for the raffle. She went to Autozone yesterday and they donated 3 hitch covers. She also went to Mobile oil and they will be calling her back for a free oil change. That way if the public wanted to get into it that would be great. If not at least we would have different things.
About the raffle. I think I am not going to require everyone to be present. Just as long as the phone number and name is on that half of the ticket I will make sure their prize gets to them. That way we can have the public involved and they do not have to be there the whole day if they choose not to.

Back