• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Considering my first airboat - some basic questions to get started

Nimitz

Hi All:
I’ve just started down the path of considering to sell my bass boat & replace it was an airboat. I live in central Florida near some trophy bass fisheries but they are all VERY painful to fish effectively with a modern bass boat like I have. A professional guide who lets me store my boat at his house has an airboat & bass boat but uses his airboat 80% of the time. He has also offered to teach me to drive one since my only experience with air boats is as a passenger. So I have some basic questions that hopefully will help begin to inform my decision Since I really no nothing about airboats except for some recent basic reading.

Fishing parameters/airboat req’ts:
- budget is probably $35K max. Used boat from a known manufacturer, not a kit our home built
- marine version of an auto engine, not an aircraft engine
- 98% of the time I will be fishing alone or with one other normal sized adult, Occassionally my wife will want to take out another couple + the 2 of us for scenic touring.
- To get to my prime location I will need to cross over 2 levies so some basic capability to run dry for a short distance is needed
- Areas I will be fishing include the 3 Forks Marsh, Lake Garcia, Stick Marsh & Kennesville

My guide buddy says all I’d need is a 14’ x 8’ but I have no idea of the horsepower I’ll need? Does this make sense?
How much will this size boat & trailer weigh?
How many hrs on an engine is reasonable that it is still in it’s “prime’? I used to own a 35’ Luhrs fly bridge sport fishing boat with twin 350 hp catapillers & when I bought the boat it only had 500 hrs on the engines so they were barely broken in but I don‘t know anything about these types of engines …
Are there different configurations for the airboat layout that I should be considering? pros & cons of them?
I’m assuming I want a poly & not slick bottom?
Other big considerations that I need to think about?
My next step is to go visit the couple of airboat places here locally, I’m only about 18 miles from Cocoa Beach and it looks like there are 3 different ones in the area.
Looking forward to getting smart enough so I can make an informed decision about whether I want to do this & then start looking for the right boat.

If your budget is $35K, there's next to zero chance you can get a new boat so skip going to the manufacturers. Diamondback and Hamant are excellent products, Panther not too bad either but for something new, you're looking at least double your budget or more. For the size you're looking, car motor is definitely the way to go and if you plan to do road/levee crossings, poly is the way to go unless you want to be painting your bottom a couple times a year. I would recommend a 383 or LS for the engine and something in the 400 hp range at minimum with a gearbox. You may not need that amount on any given day but when you do need it, you will be glad you have it, especially when you're loaded down with guests, coolers and other gear. The one thing for certain you want to do is any boat you go to look at, since you admittedly don't know anything about airboats, take your airboat buddy with you. Good luck! I'm sure you can find a suitable machine in your price range.

If your budget is $35K, there's next to zero chance you can get a new boat so skip going to the manufacturers. Diamondback and Hamant are excellent products, Panther not too bad either but for something new, you're looking at least double your budget or more. For the size you're looking, car motor is definitely the way to go and if you plan to do road/levee crossings, poly is the way to go unless you want to be painting your bottom a couple times a year. I would recommend a 383 or LS for the engine and something in the 400 hp range at minimum with a gearbox. You may not need that amount on any given day but when you do need it, you will be glad you have it, especially when you're loaded down with guests, coolers and other gear. The one thing for certain you want to do is any boat you go to look at, since you admittedly don't know anything about airboats, take your airboat buddy with you. Good luck! I'm sure you can find a suitable machine in your price range.
X2 on what diggin says, but I’ll add more power the better. 14x8 would be my minimum for your goals, high sided or deck over. 15 or even 16 would be better as long as the power matches (500-600). Your gonna want 3 batteries, trolling motor and 2 power pole anchors on stern, so don’t skimp on the power to push or boat to float.

$35K will get you something that will work for sure.

Myself, I wouldn’t spend a dime on Bass fishin, done ate enough to last me a lifetime, but to each their own. You rig out a airboat proper and you are naming the right places to go.

We ditched our bass boat for an airboat years ago and never looked back. You'll have to change your strategy a little, on windy days, crossing rough open water. The advantage is being able to fish areas you could never get to in a bass boat. As far as your first boat, look for: deep sides, aluminum hull, auto engine. Install a power pole, first thing. More important then a trolling motor. Wind is a big factor in boat control.IMG_6243.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6126.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6117.jpg
    IMG_6117.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6237.jpg
    IMG_6237.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 13
Thx all. I should have said I was only looking for a used boat. My cunning plan of going to dealerships was just to start getting smart about airboats & who knows, maybe they have a good used boat they took in trade. That happens a lot for regular bass boats. As for bass fishing, I’ve never kept even a single bass to eat my entire life, it’s 100% catch & release as I’m trophy bass fishing. One of the places I go it’s actually illegal to keep a bass. Never really understood why people eat bass anyway, there a a million better tasting fish … tuna, wahoo, red snapper, flounder, haddock, etc, etc.

can someone link pics of what “high sided” and “deck over” boats look like? Not familiar with what that means in an airboat
We ditched our bass boat for an airboat years ago and never looked back. You'll have to change your strategy a little, on windy days, crossing rough open water. The advantage is being able to fish areas you could never get to in a bass boat. As far as your first boat, look for: deep sides, aluminum hull, auto engine. Install a power pole, first thing. More important then a trolling motor. Wind is a big factor in boat control.View attachment 97855
We ditched our bass boat for an airboat years ago and never looked back. You'll have to change your strategy a little, on windy days, crossing rough open water. The advantage is being able to fish areas you could never get to in a bass boat. As far as your first boat, look for: deep sides, aluminum hull, auto engine. Install a power pole, first thing. More important then a trolling motor. Wind is a big factor in boat control.View attachment 97855
very nice! Yeah, already have a Blade PP, Ultrex trolling motor and Helix graph lined up. What airboat do you have?

used boats are just that used boats!
build a new one...

If you have the ability to turn a wrench

get a circle H hull 15,000 +/- not sure what cost increases have happened
ox box reduction $3800
a 383 sbc crate motor $10,000
a sensenich prop $3200
5k for misc stuff...
and build your your boat the way you want. pretty sure if you keep the motor in the reasonable range you can do a whole boat for 35k.
spend another 5k on the motor and get a airboat build LS3 and have a rad boat :)

I appreciate the info but I have no skills or desire to build an airboat - I'm just an operator not a builder. Going to look at a 2011 Predator 14' x 8' that looks like it has the kinds of things I'm looking for - should be a useful initial education no matter what

post up pics of what you look at....

important questions are, what is the reduction ratio, who made the motor, everyone lies about the motor. look inside the hull for big dents and deformation. if the poly is cracked or looks worn.

heat the boat up on the trailer and have them run it up full throttle. make note of the rpm it gets to. take a photo of the base of the prop where they meet the hub. there will be a index mark or a sticker showing where the prop is pitched at. Measure from the center of the hub to the tip of one blade so we can figure out what size. From that we can guess the HP of the motor.

Super! Thx for all the detail questions to ask. The boat is actually at the Predator showroom here in Cocoa and is a used Predator that they obviously took in trade, but it will still be good to hear what they say. I'll post pics after I return if it looks like something that might work.

Whichever boat you go with, do yourself a favor and make sure it has poly. The areas you speak of are rough on glass boats, especially the crossings.

So I was able to go to panther & Diamondback airboats today and while they both provided a lot of good info there was one area where they were 180 out from eachother & both adamant of their opinion so I'm looking for an objective slant to this. Panther said to absolutely go with a gearbox type drive and Diamondback said a belt drive was the way to go. Can someone elaborate on the pros & cons of each since they boith provided convincing arguments to someone like me knows nothing either way ...

What’s your power level? Belt boxes are smoother, gear boxes vibrate. Belts are lower ratio, they work good to about 400 or so Hp. Go above 500 Hp and you need more gear than a belt box will provide.

Also, belts break, leaving you floating. Gears wear out.

Ford vs Chevy

For 35k you are not getting a monster motor so either is fine.

I have had both and ran quite a bit of power through both. Both can take a ton of abuse. We have ch3 belt boxes from the 80s and they are still going strong.

Belt boxes need a couple squirts of grease every ride and maybe a new belt every few years depending on use and storage. Bearings last a long time. Some can be done by anyone others need a bearing shop or century to replace. Years of service is normal. They make a lil rumble at idle.

Gear boxes just get a oil change once a year and they run. Some are louder than others, Straight cut gears vs helical. They look pretty. They spin the prop the opposite direction of the motor. Reducing roll when you punch it.

The important part is the correct gear ratio for the motor. Post what you look at and as many details and the peanut gallery here will give our options

To show you how much the right gear matters. I had a stroked ls3 built after my 496bbc blew up(it was 20 years old) put itin my old boat with a 2/1 belt box. Thought It would spin the prop off with a lil 78" falcon 3blade. Nope! Even pitched kinda flat it didn't. It stayed there for a couple years till I got my new hull and prop. It now has a 2.55/1 ox box gear reduction and spins a big 82" jx superwide with a ton of pitch and way way more thrust.

Ok thx! I don't have a specific boat in mind yet. Neither place had a 14x8 to look at which is kinda what I'm leaning toward right now. A 15x8 also works but it will be heavier & more expensive. Panther said they would put a 525 levitator in it if I was building a new one but that the next smaller engine (450 or 400?) would also be ok. if it was a 15x8 then it would be the 525. At Diamondback their sales rep was out so they got one of their techs to show me around. he built hulls so he didn't want to try to get too deep into engine stuff. I'm going back to Diamondback this week when the sales rep is back to get more specifics and see what their used boat inventory is like.

Another general question: is there any other manufacturer on par with Panther & Diamondback? Anyone know anything about Hamant Airboats? they are the other manufacturer in my backyard here ...

Great info Aeon. I will also add that ox box's are roughly half the weight of a belt box, which when your talking a 500+hp boat that shouldnt make that much if a difference but the pounds do add up quick, especially in a fishing rig(trolling motor,batteries,power poles,livewell,coolers,cast nets,poles,passenger's,full gas tank etc). It doesnt sound like you plan on running much dry except for crossings so the extra weight shouldnt hinder your boat too much,......but that's how it starts......next thing you know you will be in a overgrown dead end trail with only one way out(the gas pedal), at that time you will be glad you have the extra ponies and so will your passengers because they will be the ones waste deep in mud helping you unstick your boat.

I want to add great info also Slidin, I don't think I have ever heard a bad word about Hamant, they build a quality boat and would be my first choice over the other 2 companies that you mentioned, not knocking the others but that is my personal preference for a central florida builder.

Thx all. I understand all the concerns about having enough power and I know it's easy to say but I have no plans to get 'wild & crazy' with the airboat - too old for that kind of drama. I really only have a few very specific fishing locations that are very difficult/mostly impossible to fish via conventional bassboat but access to them is pretty straight forward with an airboat. conventional boat ramp, couple of canals & 2 crossings & you're there. not opposed to more Hp if it comes to that but I do need to watch escalating weight & cost. Looks like I'll stop by Hamant tomorrow as well to chat with them. Speaking of weight, and I know it's dependent on engine & options, but can someone tell me the basic weight range of boat & trailer for 14x8 and 15x8 setups?

Back