• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Blower on 350

Parasitic loss at the crank might offset any gains you might see. Top fuel engines with screw superchargers require somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 hp just to drive the blower. I have always wondered if this would benefit. HP is directly related to RPM. The more RPM the more HP.

HP = TORQUE x RPM / 5252

At a max of 3000 rpm depending on the engine chances are the gains would be minimal. That being said 470 gear nosed supercharged aircraft engines work but I suspect that it's due to the large displacement.

I seriously considered it, Weiand 177, it's small blower and spins up fast. Looked at all the dyno graphs I could find and people were making 280-3xx hp at 3000rpm. But in the end, you're stressing the engine down low, I was worried about detonation, and stressing the thrust bearing more. If I could get a used one for $1000 I'd try it, but to spend 3k, you're better off putting a gear box and redo the rigging.

Years ago we looked into building a DD Cadillac with forced induction using a in ProCharger. After speaking with their engineers and Tech guys it was determined to be less than optimum.

Not sure you can get a 671 to spin fast enough to make the weight and parasitic drain worth the efforts.

So from experience I will tell you there is no more effective or cost efficient enhancement than a Nitrous Oxide system. If your engine is well built, properly timed, kept cool, properly pitched and fueled with a adequate octane the modern wet plate systems work very well. Many of the companies have a Tech support line. A small wet plate 75hp or 100hp shot would probably be all you need. We used 125hp and 150hp set ups on the DD Cadillacs but they are much bigger displacement.

Last edited:
Back