• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in, send request for help to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Big buggy steering

Slidin Gator

Big buggy big tires steering not working good at idle better with more rpm fluid seems to get hot fast
Is this a full hydraulic steer setup or steering box setup? If hydraulic, what size ram? What do you use for a cooler?

Please provide some details of the setup.

Is this a full hydraulic steer setup or steering box setup? If hydraulic, what size ram? What do you use for a cooler?

Please provide some details of the setup.
2.5 x 10 single ended ram 1.250 shaft 160 non load orbital thanks for helping we did some testing and the fluid is only at 110 degrees after thirty min steering seems to be improving with use

Slidin Gator

2.5 x 10 single ended ram 1.250 shaft 160 non load orbital thanks for helping we did some testing and the fluid is only at 110 degrees after thirty min steering seems to be improving with use
I assume this is a Chevy with a standard power steering pump. It sounds like the relief valve might have been leaking due to trash resulting in lower pressure and higher temp.

I add shims to the relief spring pack to increase the pressure and steering capacity. I also drill out the flow control valve a bit to increase flow and response, but too much and the pump will cavitate. I can dig up the details and post if interested.

I also run a hydraulic system oil cooler about half the size of my radiator and it has a dedicated electric fan, but this system also drives a hydraulic winch.