• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Beginners boat

Kjlineman

How y’all doing, I’m looking to buy my first airboat and I’m looking for some guidance! I have only been on airboats a couple times on the Kissimmee so I don’t know much. What would be the best boat for a beginner? A step hull? Fiberglass hull? I will be riding Kissimmee mostly and would like a boat that is able to run dry and go to the hangout spots. Any info would be great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kjlineman welcome to SA!

Most will ask if you have a budget in mind on how much you want to spend. :salute:

Good luck and slide safe!

Thanks for the reply bud! Just 1 rider and maybe some hunting dogs. Wanting to do mostly hunting and some joy riding so maybe just a small cooler

A small Aircraft powered boat would be good and if your going to want to run dry get as much power as you can afford and most importantly either get trained or get a very experienced operator to show you the ropes, Airboats are a lot different than a regular power boat and you can get hurt or some one else hurt real quick if you don't know what your doing and stay in shallow water while your learning and most of all have fun

I believe step hulls are geared for experienced operators. I would lean towards a standard fiberglass hull with deep sides.

10-4 I figured that about the step hulls just wasn’t sure thank y’all for the info

get ya a good high sided 13 or 14' fiberglass hull with poly and a gpu. you should be able to find a good one with that budget

I am a beginner: I found a 13' scoot fiberglass, 2019 seats 3 has a 220 Lincoln or Lyconin engine .3 blade for around 14k. Looking for advise and what question I should ask ?

If its a Lycoming engine that's as good as they get when it comes to Aircraft engines and polymer is much better than quick slick
if you get a fiberglass boat stay away from areas that have rocks and stumps they don't handle them as well as an Aluminum hull does

Same boat here to make a pun. Been on a few ABs & painted quite a few rudders over the decades but never stick-shifted. Found some good reading materials that explain general tech & guidelines for handling so I can begin programming my mind before I move on to "muscle memory" which I assume will be on my own craft. Most veteran pilots seem gunshy due to people trying to connive free rides - understandably! Also, if lucky enough to fine a fellow who'll teach me I'll search for one with a thoughtful nature... Too many times pilots seem to be of the "Aw, just got on & do it. You'll learn or sink." variety. Reminds me of my bike teaching back when I wore a uniform. Good thread here guys. Thanks in advance.

Hey, I’m in the boat as the guy that made this post, looking at a few around Orlando right now. I’m not familiar with these types of engines or gear boxes and props and everything, need some help if anyone is willing my budget is around 15k but I’m willing to spend more if need be. Just need something with 3 or 4 seats to get around in shallow water with. And I need to know what is reliable and what’s not

Harperscott welcome to SA!

If possible, take a knowledgeable airboater with you to test out any boats you are interested in. Make sure you take it out for over an hour to be sure its up to running temperature and functions as it should. $15K can get in you into a good starter boat. Take your time and don't be in a rush. Ask questions here if needed. Good luck with your search!

I found great resources and friends by joining my local airboat club. Shout out to IRCAA. Welcome and good luck.

I’m headed to central Florida to check a few boats out, was wandering if there’s any mechanics in here I could pay to check everything over for me and make sure I’m not getting screwed

Back