• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Battery

One important thing to remember is that you don't want to have two batteries wired in series ...... it'll fry your alternator. Instead, use a Perko switch to separate them and run them as either/or. Never on both. I ran two on my last boat, but I'd start on one and run out. On the way home I'd switch to the other one so that both of them were kept fresh.
If you do a lot of night fishin or froggin you can always have a good one in reserve that way. A locking Perko is also a great way to help secure your boat. I used mine just like you would use a master switch on an airplane. JMO

I run the one that looks like a six pack, of course, it replaced a Walmart battery that was still flawless at 2 years old.
biggest reason I bought the sealed battery was for when I sink boat I don't want to flood the battery.

Hog Guts said:
One optima or two either way your good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run dual red optima's with a perco switch and alternate them charging with no problems starting. There not the lightest batteries but dependable and last. I even switched my trucks to them and swear by them.

jopete said:
I run the one that looks like a six pack, of course, it replaced a Walmart battery that was still flawless at 2 years old.
biggest reason I bought the sealed battery was for when I sink boat I don't want to flood the battery.
How often do you sink your boat? :lol: :rebel:

Some rigs use a high quality single battery and the operators back it up with one of the new micro booster jump packs.

They work!

SWAMPHUNTER45 said:
Some rigs use a high quality single battery and the operators back it up with one of the new micro booster jump packs.

They work!

X2!!!!!!!!!! glad you mentioned that.

I forgot to mention that I also carry one of those 600 amp anti-gravity mini jump starter/ cell phone charger instead of a extra battery. just in case.

Olf Art said:
One important thing to remember is that you don't want to have two batteries wired in series ...... it'll fry your alternator. Instead, use a Perko switch to separate them and run them as either/or. Never on both. I ran two on my last boat, but I'd start on one and run out. On the way home I'd switch to the other one so that both of them were kept fresh.
If you do a lot of night fishin or froggin you can always have a good one in reserve that way. A locking Perko is also a great way to help secure your boat. I used mine just like you would use a master switch on an airplane. JMO
I'm interested in this statement. Is this an aircraft deal? No saying your wrong or bashing but I've run all my car boats over the last 25 years on both, all the time

barhopper said:
Olf Art said:
I'm interested in this statement. Is this an aircraft deal? No saying your wrong or bashing but I've run all my car boats over the last 25 years on both, all the time

I believe the problem is not AC or CM. It is whether you hook them up parallel or in series. Running them in series doubles the voltage and will fry anything that can't handle 24 V. Running them parallel maintains 12 V and doubles the available amperage.

Hooked up correctly, you can absolutely run both batteries at the same time. But why? Unless you have something that needs that much amperage, it would make more sense to have a back up that you can switch to. But you are correct, it will work if wired parallel.

Olf Art said:
Exactly right about never on both. A few years back I got out of my boat deep in the marsh in late November deer hunting when there was light ice on the water ( not enough to walk on) When leaving the boat I hit the cage lights accidentally and when returning after dark I saw a dim glow on them. Had to call a brother to come out with a battery. Could have been a cold night.

I always run on both, same as my outboard boat.

Of course, they're wired parallel. Not too many 24 volt systems in use today, outside of the military...

That said; whenever the airboat stops, the Perco gets turned to "off."

When i run normally, i run both both so batteries will charge when i stop i shut both off. Its when i running lights like gator hunting- frogging i have it on one so i always have a bat for starting.

Just like a breath of fresh air huh?

Just spent $400 on new buggy battery. No perko on that machine, just a 10 year old toggle switch. Switch turns on ignition, fan relay and fuel pump relay. Switch failed just enough to turn on fuel pump relay after I left it for the week. The Optima was reading 4 volts a week later and wouldn't take a charge.

Glad I didn't have 2 batteries tied together (series or parallel don't matter), cause it woulda been a $800 bill.

I have no idea why the fuel pump still works just fine, but the Mr. Gasket 12S fuel pump, cheapest one you can find, (I usually just buy em 2 at a time), just smoked my Optima battery, biggest one they make.

I killed optima's within a year so I stopped using them (junk to me). For me a standard batterie last a lot longer. I am redoing (arranging) my bats my switch is locking up.

I know about battery switches locking up. Had a person and needed a pair of channel locks to turn it. Inside parts broke but it kept working on rigging rebuild i switched to a sea star "smaller" switch works pretty good

I killed optima's within a year so I stopped using them (junk to me). For me a standard batterie last a lot longer. I am redoing (arranging) my bats my switch is locking up.
I'm not bad mouthing the Optima (note that I bought a brand-new version of the same). Show me a battery that can spend a week on load like that and survive. Only bummer on my part was it was 2 months past the 2 year, free replacement warranty period.

I'm actually giving the 12S Mr. Gasket fuel pump the thumbs up here.(y) Note that the pump is lower than the tank and feed from a fitting on the bottom of the tank, so no cavitation or air, it just sat there for days putting 7 PSI on my carb. I guess another (y) on the condition of my carb float is in order here.

I know about battery switches locking up. Had a person and needed a pair of channel locks to turn it. Inside parts broke but it kept working
I have had the same on my saltwater boats, everything breaks eventually. I don't know anyone that's ever "maintained" one of those Perkos with fresh grease, certainly not me.

I'm not bad mouthing the Optima (note that I bought a brand-new version of the same). Show me a battery that can spend a week on load like that and survive. Only bummer on my part was it was 2 months past the 2 year, free replacement warranty period.

I'm actually giving the 12S Mr. Gasket fuel pump the thumbs up here.(y) Note that the pump is lower than the tank and feed from a fitting on the bottom of the tank, so no cavitation or air, it just sat there for days putting 7 PSI on my carb. I guess another (y) on the condition of my carb float is in order here.

I have had the same on my saltwater boats, everything breaks eventually. I don't know anyone that's ever "maintained" one of those Perkos with fresh grease, certainly not me.
I never had them survive taking a load. That was a load of cash for two. I had the blue tops they replaced them twice the first year. Then I cashed them out third time. Just telling it like it is Truth is never bad. I just use good 5-year battery's they seem to work and if they don't AutoZone will swap them out.

Back