• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Aluminum hull kits???

2tines

I am interested to see if anyone offers aluminum hull kits nowadays? I seen a thread from back in 2011 but thought I may ask again for updated information. Anybody have any leads?

So, let's see, an aluminum hull "kit" leaves quite a bit to question here, what type of hull design? What material base, welded or riveted aircraft aluminum?
A truckload of fiberglass, resin, wood, gel coat, t- rails, a mold to form said hull in?
Not to mention tooling to form said hull, maybe about 40 years of knowledge to build it correctly.

Likely why that thread died 12 years ago.

So, let's see, an aluminum hull "kit" leaves quite a bit to question here, what type of hull design? What material base, welded or riveted aircraft aluminum?
A truckload of fiberglass, resin, wood, gel coat, t- rails, a mold to form said hull in?
Not to mention tooling to form said hull, maybe about 40 years of knowledge to build it correctly.

Likely why that thread died 12 years ago.
Some manufacturers use to offer a “kit” to build your own hull. Basically it would be like alumatec laser cutting all the pieces for one of their hulls and selling it before they weld it together. It would save the individual the labor costs of welding it together if they had the ability to do it themselves.

Franny Taylor used to sell a kit.
I think I saw 1 kit come out of Don's shop, many came out of Airboat headquarters "Thurman" I've been asked by one person about a kit, my reply? First off, I wouldn't know how to bill it out, second how far do I have to go with said kit.
It feels like getting a gal all ramped and ready, wet, hot and heavy, call in your buddy to finish the job and leave with blue balls, I'll pass.

I will go a step further, a year ago, I built a hull, engine stand, cage, rudders, custom dry boxes, other little custom things, guy picks it up, takes it to another airboat outfit to have it all painted, wired up, plumbed etc, got it all assembled and pretty, great,,, I get a video text on how bad the boat porpoises, so I finally got room to bring it in, have a look at things,, well, I level the trailer fore and aft, put same digital level on the prop hub, engine was 10° down in the rear, ok, build a 3/8" shim for rear mount, engine now plumb to trailer, lifted hull up, gauged bottom, just as I had built it, ok, he picks it up, takes it for a ride, calls, states boat is a completely different animal, actually scared him a bit and not even redlining the engine,,, it just goes to show, you can't just throw one of these machines together, there is a method to all of it!!

Back