• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

500 caddy prop????

dcm5899

500 caddy with 1.77:1 belt drive on 16' airgator 80" 6blade warpdrive. Looking for more push on this heavy boat. Sensenich says 79" 2 blade R model, Waterwalker falcon 3 blade 80", Whirlwind whisper tip 2.0 3 blade. What do ya'll think.

I think that given what you have been running, that any of those choices will be such an improvement that you'll think you have the best prop and wonder why you waited so long to change. 8)

I am partial to the Falcons, so that would be my first choice. With that engine and that gear, the designed RPM of the Falcons is right where you need it. Beyond that (depending how strong your engine is), I would think a 78" might work better than an 80" inasmuch as you'd have a little more pitch in it.

Andrew @ WW would confirn or deny that, if you tell him about your engine.

If you want to run a 3-blade, you need the standard wide blade 12" Whisper Tip 2.0 or Water Walker Falcon. If you want to run a 2-blade, you'll need the extra-wide blade 13" Whisper Tip EX or Sensenich R.

Ultimately, those three options are all correctly sized propellers for your engine and reduction.

Deano's right about his first statement. But me, I'm partial to the Whisper Tip. :)

-Patti

Which pushes better though 2 or 3 blade? Looking good cruise and good ground running. Thanks
for the info.

To start at the generic beginning, if you have two blades that are capable of holding the motor back, adding another blade and running three is only going to have you running less pitch to use the same power, thus rendering the additional blade un-necessary. On the other hand, if the two blades you were running would not hold the motor back, then an additional blade is definately in order.

The additional drawback to running an un-necessary third blade is increased initial expense, decreased 'snap' and addtional drag. If everything else is a 'push' (pun intended) an advantage of running three blades is the ability to more affordably upraded your prop later if you need to because of engine and/or gear upgrades, because you would already have a three blade hub and the ability to more add more pitch. The way you describe your rig, it doesn't sound like the snap part of it would be an issue, as a prop change will not make a hot rod out of a station wagon.

You are pretty close to, likely beyond the threshold of 2 or 3 blades with the Falcons. I would think that with your gear, if you decide to run a 2 blade, you would want to run the Sirius blades, some folks here speak very highly of them. If your going to run three, then the Falcons would work better. Not so sure about the other blades, but would agree with Patty's assessment.

A lot of times a person already has a hub so there is incentive to use what ya got, but since you'll need a hub to, that isn't really a consideration. If I had the means and was able to buy new, I think I would go with the three blade for the reasons stated. On the other hand, if that's not the case and I found a deal on a 2 blade that was designed to push best at low RPMs, I would buy that in a heart beat and not feel bad about it. You're gonna be smiling anyway after you get beyond the mental grief and do it. 8)

Back