SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I have been searching for a while and I am not sure Im finding what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a generalised list of coast guard regulations specific to airboats?

All I can find is that you need a flame arrester on the carb, automotive style mufflers, identification numbers on the side or rudders, 10 ft pole with orange flag, lights, lifejackets, etc.

Is a marine starter and carb required or can they be general automotive style?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:31 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Fire Extinguisher, and a sound producing device (whistle).

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

DO YOU NEED A FLAME ARRESTER ON AN UP DRAFT CARB? THOUGHT THEY DONE AWAY WITH THAT BS YEARS AGO

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Almost certain ya still do.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:47 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

The USCG regs. are pretty much standard no matter what kind of vessel it is (diesel is a seperate category) so an airboat has the same basic requirements as any other powerboat. One thing that's often overlooked is that they require you to use a gas gauge on your boat, and they're very particular about life jackets and running approved nav lights.

I've been inspected a couple of times and the Coast Guard folks are first class. If you don't try to BS 'em they'll be fair and courteous.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:23 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

anchor )which is dumb for an airboat. i want mine to drift to shallow water. and a paddle

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:40 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

i don't think anchors or paddles are required ... smart to have but not the law anymore. whistle, pfd's for every person(correct size if kids involved) and a fire extinguisher. then you get into the coast guard regs for lights, flame arrestor etc but they apply to all boats.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Minimum Required Safety Equipment for Class A Recreational Vessels: (less than 16 ft / less than 4.9m) or Canoes and Kayaks
One approved Type I, II, or III for each person on board or being towed on waterskis etc.

Must be USCG approved. Must be in serviceable condition. Must be properly stored

NOTE:A Type V hybrid may substituted for any Type I, II, or III device, but must be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the person is not in the cabin or other enclosed area.

Class A:Every person on board under the age of six (6) must wear an approved Type I, II, or III while the vessel is underway.

Personal Watercraft (PWC): Everyone on or operating a PWC must wear an approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD. Inflatable PFDs are prohibited.

Water Skier: Every person skiing or aquaplaning must wear an approved Type I, II, or III PFD. Inflatable PFDs are prohibited.
Fire Extinguisher

Must be USCG approved - Must be in serviceable condition

One USCG-approved B-1 type fire extinguisher is required for all recreational motorboats except outboard-powered motorboats less than 26 feet long if constructed in a manner that will not allow gas fumes to accumulate. If your boat has a built-in fuel tank, an inboard engine, compartments where portable fuel tanks may be stored, or open areas between the hull and deck where flammable or explosive gases could accumulate, you must carry a fire extinguisher. Non-motorized boats are exempt from the fire extinguisher requirements.

NOTE: When an approved fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in the machinery space(s), it may be counted in the place of one B-I type hand-held portable fire extinguisher. Some fire extinguishers require specific mounting brackets for approval. Read the label on your fire extinguisher for this information.
Visual Distress Signal

Required on the high sea and coastal waters only

Must carry visual distress signals for nighttime use.

NOTE: Coastal waters means the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, and all bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc. where any entrance is over two (2) miles wide to the first point where the distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles.
Sound Producing Device

Bell, horn, whistle etc.

Every vessel less than 12 meters (39.4 ft) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device. The sound producing device need not meet any particular specifications, as long as the vessel can produce signals required by the navigational rules.
Backfire Flame Control

An effective means of controlling backfire flame of all gasoline engines installed after April 25, 1940, except outboard motors

Backfire flame arrestors must be USCG approved.
Ventilation

Boats built prior to August 1, 1980

At least two ventilator ducts fitted with cowls or their equivalent, for the purpose of properly and efficiently ventilating the bilges of every closed engine and fuel-tank compartment on boats constructed or decked over after April 25, 1940, using gasoline as fuel or other fuels having a flash point of 110 degrees or less.

Boats built after August 1, 1980

At least two ventilator ducts for the purpose of efficiently ventilating every closed compartment that contains a gasoline engine and every closed compartment containing a gasoline tank, except for those having permanently installed tanks which vent outside the boat and contain no unprotected electrical devices. Also, engine compartments containing a gasoline engine having a cranking motor must contain power operated exhaust blowers which can be controlled from the instrument panel.
Vessel Lighting

Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the attached link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length.

We further suggest that you equip your vessel with an anchor and a sufficient amount of anchor line; a de-watering device, such as a bilge pump in the event of flooding; and an oar, paddle or other alternative means of propulsion in case your engine fails. If the above equipment requirements and suggestions are met, you may be eligible to display a FWC or Coast Guard Auxiliary safety decal. For more information, please contact your local FWC office.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

So is a Marine Starter and Marine Carburetor required?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:28 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Not on an airboat. Because the engine isn't located in a bilge or below deck area where fumes could accumulate there isn't any spark danger, which is what the 'marine' certified components are designed to prevent.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:25 am 
River-Runner wrote:
Minimum Required Safety Equipment for Class A Recreational Vessels: (less than 16 ft / less than 4.9m) or Canoes and Kayaks
One approved Type I, II, or III for each person on board or being towed on waterskis etc.

Must be USCG approved. Must be in serviceable condition. Must be properly stored

NOTE:A Type V hybrid may substituted for any Type I, II, or III device, but must be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the person is not in the cabin or other enclosed area.

Class A:Every person on board under the age of six (6) must wear an approved Type I, II, or III while the vessel is underway.

Personal Watercraft (PWC): Everyone on or operating a PWC must wear an approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD. Inflatable PFDs are prohibited.

Water Skier: Every person skiing or aquaplaning must wear an approved Type I, II, or III PFD. Inflatable PFDs are prohibited.
Fire Extinguisher

Must be USCG approved - Must be in serviceable condition

One USCG-approved B-1 type fire extinguisher is required for all recreational motorboats except outboard-powered motorboats less than 26 feet long if constructed in a manner that will not allow gas fumes to accumulate. If your boat has a built-in fuel tank, an inboard engine, compartments where portable fuel tanks may be stored, or open areas between the hull and deck where flammable or explosive gases could accumulate, you must carry a fire extinguisher. Non-motorized boats are exempt from the fire extinguisher requirements.

NOTE: When an approved fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in the machinery space(s), it may be counted in the place of one B-I type hand-held portable fire extinguisher. Some fire extinguishers require specific mounting brackets for approval. Read the label on your fire extinguisher for this information.
Visual Distress Signal

Required on the high sea and coastal waters only

Must carry visual distress signals for nighttime use.

NOTE: Coastal waters means the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, and all bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc. where any entrance is over two (2) miles wide to the first point where the distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles.
Sound Producing Device

Bell, horn, whistle etc.

Every vessel less than 12 meters (39.4 ft) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device. The sound producing device need not meet any particular specifications, as long as the vessel can produce signals required by the navigational rules.
Backfire Flame Control

An effective means of controlling backfire flame of all gasoline engines installed after April 25, 1940, except outboard motors

Ventilation

Boats built prior to August 1, 1980

At least two ventilator ducts fitted with cowls or their equivalent, for the purpose of properly and efficiently ventilating the bilges of every closed engine and fuel-tank compartment on boats constructed or decked over after April 25, 1940, using gasoline as fuel or other fuels having a flash point of 110 degrees or less.

Boats built after August 1, 1980

At least two ventilator ducts for the purpose of efficiently ventilating every closed compartment that contains a gasoline engine and every closed compartment containing a gasoline tank, except for those having permanently installed tanks which vent outside the boat and contain no unprotected electrical devices. Also, engine compartments containing a gasoline engine having a cranking motor must contain power operated exhaust blowers which can be controlled from the instrument panel.
Vessel Lighting

Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the attached link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length.

We further suggest that you equip your vessel with an anchor and a sufficient amount of anchor line; a de-watering device, such as a bilge pump in the event of flooding; and an oar, paddle or other alternative means of propulsion in case your engine fails. If the above equipment requirements and suggestions are met, you may be eligible to display a FWC or Coast Guard Auxiliary safety decal. For more information, please contact your local FWC office.

Hey River Runner,
Heard a long time ago that White zip ties are not approved either for CG enforcement areas?
Is that still in effect with the new plastics that are out?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 am 
Southern Airboat Member

I am over 16'. What changes?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Minimum Required Safety Equipment for Class 1 Recreational Vessels: 16 to less than 26 ft/ 4.9 to less than 7.9m)

One approved Type I, II, or III for each person on board or being towed on water skis etc., in addition, one throwable Type IV device

Must be USCG approved. Must be in serviceable condition. Must be properly stored.

NOTE:A Type V hybrid may substituted for any Type I, II, or III device, but it must actually be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the person is not in the cabin or other enclosed area.

Class I:Every person on board under the age of six (6) must wear an approved Type I, II, or III while the vessel is underway.

Fire Extinguisher

The fire extinguisher must be USCG approved and must be in serviceable condition.

Visual Distress Signal

Required on the high sea and coastal waters only.

Must carry visual distress signal for both day and nighttime use.

Sound Producing Device (bell, horn, whistle, etc.)

Backfire Flame Control

Ventilation (Boats built prior to August 1, 1980)

At least two ventilator ducts fitted with cowls or their equivalent for the purpose of properly and efficiently ventilating the bilges of every closed engine and fuel -tank compartment of boats constructed or decked over after April 25, 1940, using gasoline as fuel or other fuels having a flash point of 110 degrees or less.
Ventilation (Boats built after August 1, 1980)

Vessel Lighting

Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the attached link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length. http://boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-9_navlights.htm
Recommendations:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Olf Art wrote:
The USCG regs. are pretty much standard no matter what kind of vessel it is (diesel is a seperate category) so an airboat has the same basic requirements as any other powerboat. One thing that's often overlooked is that they require you to use a gas gauge on your boat, and they're very particular about life jackets and running approved nav lights.

I've been inspected a couple of times and the Coast Guard folks are first class. If you don't try to BS 'em they'll be fair and courteous.

Is a sight guage sufficient???? I mean, it would not be a safety hazzard, but more of a comon sense thing... I see everyone with a sight guage.. Come to think about it, I have NEVER had an airboat with a gas guage.. Just another wire to run from the tank to the console..

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

the little sight tube on the side of the tank made out of clear hose usually ... is not legal. A sight glass/window installed at the tank manufacturer usually is legal. typically to be legal a gas tank has to have manufacturers name and other info on it ... now they usually do not push the issue .. but just sayin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

I have this gas gauge. No site-tube, window, or wires.

Photo from Classic Airboats Website. Where I purchased mine from.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Thanks cntry.......... And here I spent ALL THIS MONEY on the Bulldog boat and now I find out that I am not even legal !!!! CRAP !!!!! Will figure out something.... Need to go to the picture posted above for fuel levels.. Figure out a way to plug the side nipples... :dontknow: :dontknow: ........

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....... I said "NIPPLES" and Rick didn't delete my post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding Rick... :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:38 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

what about mufflers built into the header? do you have to run flex all the way out your hull?