Jon Boat to Air Boat Conversion Project

Airboats with smaller powerplants.
boonejohnson
Southern Airboat Member

Jon Boat to Air Boat Conversion Project

Postby boonejohnson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm

have a 14' Alumacraft Jon Boat that i regularly switch the outboard motor between a 1985 15 hp Johnson and a 1965 5.5 hp Johnson Seahorse. I am wondering if there is any way to convert this Jon Boat to an air/fan boat while leaving the room for either of the motors to be attached to the transom and have room to change them around whenever i want to. I really have no idea where to start on this project so any responses would be helpful. i don't know what size motor to use what kind of motor what size propeller to use what kind of mechanism would be used for mounting it or anything.

CaneFan
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Jon Boat to Air Boat Conversion Project

Postby CaneFan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

There are far more mechanically inclinded folks on this site that I'm sure will chime in but.........

If you want to have your cake and eat it too with this john boat, you might consider constructing rigging that could be easily installed for airboating and removed for more conventional john boating. My Dad had a fiber glass airboat when we were little kids. He said that the way it was built he could take the rigging out by removing only six bolts. He said the engine, gas tank, seat stand, willow guard, rudders, everything would come out as one unit. This would leave just the hull. Back in those days he was running in places he should really have had an aluminum hull. Because of this he had plenty of practice removing the rigging to repair cracks cause by "kissing the cypress". Depending on the beam of your john boat you might have to build the rigging short to keep the center of gravity low.
Good luck.
"You've gotta be tuff if your gonna be stupid."-Cowboy
"A lazy man will work himself to death."-Grandpa Symons

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:14 pm

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1962149989.html

Here is a craigslist add of one to look at possible for ideas. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby crowhater » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I knew a guy that made a real nice airboat out of a 12' allweld John boat. It had a snowmobile motor, warp drive type blade & some kind of belt/shiv reduction. It was a real neat little boat and did pretty good for two guys, it would not run dry loaded but you could get off it and walk next to it while holding the gas down and it would cross dry ground.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby cntry141iq » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I built this one kinda high so I could frog out of it ran 28 mph with me and ran 27 with two of me and yep I did 180 and 360 in it
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey boon check out my post of the gheenoe. It was a couple weeks ago. There is also a video on youtube. IT may give you some ideas. I am right in the middle of doing the same thing that you are thinking about but on a gheenoe. A lot of guys do what you are talking about. They are using them here for flounder boats. I went with a 6.5 hp on the first one and am going to a 13 Hp on this one. So far it is turning out pretty good. Email me at ahntechacmi@gmail.com if you want some pics.
Welcome to "The new breed of hatlights"
http://WWW.LIGHT-HEADED.NET
:old_glory:
:alabama:
:rolltide:

Mendel
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Mendel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 am

crowhater wrote:I knew a guy that made a real nice airboat out of a 12' allweld John boat. It had a snowmobile motor, warp drive type blade & some kind of belt/shiv reduction. It was a real neat little boat and did pretty good for two guys, it would not run dry loaded but you could get off it and walk next to it while holding the gas down and it would cross dry ground.dyson fan oscillating fan hack xbox 360
it would not run dry loaded but you could get off it and walk next to it while holding the gas down and it would cross dry ground.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”