SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

have a 14' Alumacraft Jon Boat that i regularly switch the outboard motor between a 1985 15 hp Johnson and a 1965 5.5 hp Johnson Seahorse. I am wondering if there is any way to convert this Jon Boat to an air/fan boat while leaving the room for either of the motors to be attached to the transom and have room to change them around whenever i want to. I really have no idea where to start on this project so any responses would be helpful. i don't know what size motor to use what kind of motor what size propeller to use what kind of mechanism would be used for mounting it or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

There are far more mechanically inclinded folks on this site that I'm sure will chime in but.........

If you want to have your cake and eat it too with this john boat, you might consider constructing rigging that could be easily installed for airboating and removed for more conventional john boating. My Dad had a fiber glass airboat when we were little kids. He said that the way it was built he could take the rigging out by removing only six bolts. He said the engine, gas tank, seat stand, willow guard, rudders, everything would come out as one unit. This would leave just the hull. Back in those days he was running in places he should really have had an aluminum hull. Because of this he had plenty of practice removing the rigging to repair cracks cause by "kissing the cypress". Depending on the beam of your john boat you might have to build the rigging short to keep the center of gravity low.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1962149989.html

Here is a craigslist add of one to look at possible for ideas. Bud

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, 496 BBC, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

I knew a guy that made a real nice airboat out of a 12' allweld John boat. It had a snowmobile motor, warp drive type blade & some kind of belt/shiv reduction. It was a real neat little boat and did pretty good for two guys, it would not run dry loaded but you could get off it and walk next to it while holding the gas down and it would cross dry ground.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

I built this one kinda high so I could frog out of it ran 28 mph with me and ran 27 with two of me and yep I did 180 and 360 in it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Hey boon check out my post of the gheenoe. It was a couple weeks ago. There is also a video on youtube. IT may give you some ideas. I am right in the middle of doing the same thing that you are thinking about but on a gheenoe. A lot of guys do what you are talking about. They are using them here for flounder boats. I went with a 6.5 hp on the first one and am going to a 13 Hp on this one. So far it is turning out pretty good. Email me at ahntechacmi@gmail.com if you want some pics.

:alabama:
:rolltide:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 am 
Southern Airboat Member

crowhater wrote:
I knew a guy that made a real nice airboat out of a 12' allweld John boat. It had a snowmobile motor, warp drive type blade & some kind of belt/shiv reduction. It was a real neat little boat and did pretty good for two guys, it would not run dry loaded but you could get off it and walk next to it while holding the gas down and it would cross dry ground.dyson fan oscillating fan hack xbox 360
it would not run dry loaded but you could get off it and walk next to it while holding the gas down and it would cross dry ground.