SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Welding emt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:21 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

k,guys i bought a little welder today 115 70 amp flux core or mig w/covergas attachment i don't have a bottle yet & haven't welded much i have the 30 & 35 flux core wire,tried on some scrap not really impressed it will def. blow a hole in the emt,& gettin alot of spatter,just wondering if using the shielding gas makes a difference a friend told me it would,i know 230 volt would be better but $$$ was the difference,just fixing some welds that are opening up,trying to get opinions,thanks Tony! It seemed that the 35mm wire was better as far as not burning holes,witht the 35 i could get a decent bead without burning any holes,but alot of spatter!

Post subject: Re: Welding emt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:40 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

first sand the coating off the ends where your welding. If your going to use flux core use a sheilding gas then it won't spatter so much. If your burning holes in it turn the amps down and keep tring till you get it right I weld emt with the same welder and does a good job I hope this helps,good luck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:41 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

you will get alot of spatter on emt because of the galvanized coating. try some anti spatter dip. also make sure your using flux core wire when not using gas and solid core wire when using gas. as for burning holes try to go a little faster or turn your heat down a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:46 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

u need gas .020 wire throw away that flex cored wire use 7018 or equal with argon & CO2 or straight argon if u plan to weld aluminum. EMT is probably the hardest metal to learn how to weld
and remember your putting your life on the welds your just learning on. i would not even concider riding on apprentise welds. some things you do not cut corners on in building an airboat welding being the top on the list. hire someone who does it for a living.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

1. Go to gas. 2. Use the anti splater spray. 3 Play with it. (practice, practice). 4. Turn the heat down and go a little faster.
The machine was made for this!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:57 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Has anyone tried dipping the ends of the EMT in muratic acid? Works well with chrome tubing by eating it clean.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 am 
Southern Airboat Member

make sure your power supply for your welder is good.if your running a long extension cord or have low voltage those 110's suck.i have one that i built 2 boats with.use 030/035 solid core with 75/25% mix ,take your time.if youre touching up old welds make sure they're clean.good luck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Use CO2 or C25 gass. Argon is not a recommended gas for MIG when welding steel. CO2 is "hotter" than C25. C25 weld are cleaner, less clean-up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 am 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

look at the chart inside the door and start there

AIRBOATS DONT CAUSE ANIMOSITY- PEOPLE DO!!
PROTECT YOUR FUTURE WEAR A PFD AND VOTE!!
on a dark calm night ya can hear the cryaker scratchin on your poly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:48 am 
Southern Airboat Member

:usa2: I've used my Elcheapo fluxcore for a few years and get pretty good results, just tac your cuts and then clean with a wire wheel or what ever before you finish weld, as far as splatter if it's not to bad, I don't worry about it to much, because what ever you are fabricating will have to be prepped for Paint or Powder Coat anyway! 4" grinder with the fine sanding disc's work good for removing any residue.
YES...Watch your voltage supply, long cord vers short cord in the beginning, but you will overcome most of this with settings and practice. Once you get your heat and feed set close, you should be able to fill a 1/2'' hole , you really have to watch the color while doing the fill, get your bead started , stop and before it goes out hit it again (so on and so forth). Yes the gas conversion is good, but the Flux ain't bad if perfected. Sounds like your fixin some bad welds, just clean the crap out of them and make sure your not welding over some brazed joints??

Have fun!!! :occasion5: :usa2:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Buy a tank of 75/25 argon/co2 weldgas, run the regulator around 15 and use solid core wire, dont run the unit on an extension corde. It will be a night and day difference. By the time you buy a couple of spools of flux core wire you will have paid for the tank and gass with better results. Be carefull turning down the heat, sometimes you dont get good penetration or whats called a cold joint. Play with some scrap lying around and then try to break the welds by bending the pieces apart, if the conduit breaks or bends before the weld then you are going down the right road and all you have to do is make them look pretty I.E. 15 degree angle on the electrode and when welding vertical start form the top and move to the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

SPOT WELD YOUR EMT , 30% OVERLAP ON EACH SPOT , MAKE SURE YOUR HEAT IS HOT ENOUGH , I'VE NEVER HAD ANY OF MY WELDS BREAK IN 15 YRS ON BOATS , TRUCKS , TRAILERS ETC. NOT SAYING I SPOT WELD EVERYTHING BUT I DO WHEN I BUILD RIGGING AND CAGES.