SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Just would like to what the out come of it was? How is the guy that hit the prop? Did he make it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

I heard yes he made it.

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

That's good. I hope he didn't get messed up too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:08 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

how did this happen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

yes he made it but unfortunatley lost his right leg.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Hey guys...I was a passenger on one of the boats involved in the accident yesterday. Just wanted to let you all know the boy that lost his leg is stable and expected to be fine, they did have to amputate his right leg though. Both boats are in, as of about 2 hours or so ago. And as far as myself and the other two on the boat with me we are sore, bruised, and thankful to be alive. Both boats are a total loss other than motors and some other small parts. All and all we are all just thankful that the young man is alive and so are the rest involved. The good Lord was certainly with us all. Thanks for the concern guys.
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:04 am 
Southern Airboat Member

What is his name so we can be praying for him?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

froggin06 Thank you for your post! First off I pray this comes out as best as possible for everyone involved! I hate to see this especially at this time of year it brings back some tough memories. From someone who survived a tragic boat accident over 25 years ago and who is currently going thru court now as a witness because of a recent wreck someone else had! Neither of which (I was driving or had anything to do with the accident). Well I hate to say it but the lawyers and the investigators are going to ask and tell you things. The second somebody, hell anybody suggests what happened end the conversation they are trying to manipulate you! There will be a major investigation and eventually a law suit it's the world we live in! My advise is stick to the truth it is the only thing that will not deceive you! I am grateful nobody was killed and hope a great recovery for all involved and that this was an accident and nobody can have any blame pinned on them!

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Very sad situation indeed. There are a few good lawyers on this site and I think we all hate it when we get blamed for everything. Accident do and will happen but 19yo kids just don't lose their leg in an "accident" either. Was it preventable? We always blame the lawyers etc but unfortunately when this accident is long forgotten and the prayers are for something more recent etc, this kid will still be traumatized and affected for the rest of his life.. physically, mentally and economically. Maybe the kid wanted to join the military or be a police officer or fireman. All of that is out the window now and we should expect the young man to just chalk it up to an accident.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

In my opinion accidents are like coincidences, there is no such thing. I do think its a bit early to be deciding who and whats of it though. I'm just happy everyone came out alive. That in itself is a real blessing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:27 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Just out of curiousity, where did this accident happen?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Gatorgrabber wrote:
Just out of curiousity, where did this accident happen?

MYDIXIEWRECKED wrote:
Need some prayers... I just got a call that two boats ran into each other down in the cypress by the tower.

Where ever that is in the Glades

"Butch"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

glad too hear hes pulling through alright.we all airboat to have a good time,hunt,fish,race,or too too just get away from the everyday b.s..but accidents
will happen.some could be avoided,some not.hopefully he will keep enjoying this sport
and it will come out alright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:20 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

The accident is under investigation at this point. So with that I am not allowed to give details about how it happened and so on. The accident did happen near the Microwave Tower. And the only other thing I will say is this was not a rear end collision it was a front to side (T-bone) accident. We all did what we could to avoid it. Again we are just thankful that everyone made it out alive. God Bless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:13 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

I found this in the Sun Sentinel on line. Here is a link to the story

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/browar ... 4895.story

"Davie man, 20, severs leg in airboat collision

By Rachel Hatzipanagos, Sun Sentinel
December 14, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

A Davie man severed his leg over the weekend when the homemade airboat he was operating collided with another in the Everglades near Weston, authorities said.

The man, Matthew Elrod, 20, was operating a homemade 10-foot airboat Saturday afternoon when the accident happened, said Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella B. Ferraro.

The exact cause of the accident is still under investigation. Ferraro said that a license is not needed to operate an airboat.

Russell Aaron, 43, and Eliana H. Jimemez, 31, also both of Davie were also on the aircraft. All three on the boat were airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Authorities have not said whether the three are related.

The others on the second airboat, a 13-foot Alumacraft, were not injured. Their names were Douglas Whaley, 56, of Pembroke Pines; Richard Frederick, 28, of Hollywood; and Jason Freeman, 28, of Davie. "

Prayers are still with Matt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Absolutely incredible how ignorant people in this world are. Look at the comments at the bottom of the article from people... Un frigin believeable. I'd like to meet a few of them somewhere secluded... :evil:

Lifetime member NRA
Owner camp 9 1/2 in beautiful 3A south, Everglades

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 pm 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

it sounds like a lizard i once had the displeasure of breathing the same air with in miami :evil:

THE POWER IS IN THE PUSH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:44 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Yea I hear ya on that Chester...They're all Internet tough guys !!! :evil: I would love for a few of them to come tell us all they're bs to our faces !!! :twisted: They think we're all dumb because we're from Davie and we build home made airboats or aircrafts as they call them...We're too dumb? but thats why we can build home made airboats to ride and enjoy the glades with and they are'nt !!! lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:55 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

don't even bother reading that crap....the way people talked about me,i'd have a long list of asskiken to do :D

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 am 
Southern Airboat Member

I hear ya on that Rich...It's not worth my time... but it sure does make me as mean as a rattlesnake when I hear or read that yankee bs...All they do is talk crap about us good ol' boys and how redneck and dumb we are and I think it's about time to make some examples out of them !!!...I know that sounded a little extreme... but it just fires me up !!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Southern Airboat Member

NOTICE how they mention no license required,tallahassee is slowly intergrading licensing for pleasure boaters. more $$$ revenue.minors are already required

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 am 
Southern Airboat Member

They sure can talk crap on the internet like they're tough guys :lol: ...I would love to drag a few out in our neck of the woods lets say the cypress near the tower on a moonless night and leave them and lets see how tough they really are I bet they'll be crying like little sissys !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ~ YOU GONNA BE DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH ~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:36 am 
you dont know if ther yankees or if there just some jerk trying to ruffel some fethers .never will know thers allways going to be a bunch of ars out there try to get your goat,and there not man enough to say it to your face,so dont give them the satisfaction of noing they got to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:10 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Ferraro said that a license is not needed to operate an airboat.

Like it makes any difference. This is just someone wanting to hear their self talk or see their words in print. Nothing better to do. Nothing new or noteworth about not needing a license to operate a boat.

I don't mind the Home made boat comment because it shows some of us are quite capable. Remember the best at anything is seldom if ever the man who makes a living doing it. Its the guy with the passion to take the engineering and make it a work of art that wins out in best category.

Gotta admit I'm fired up over the license comment though.

Hate to see this thread turn into a commentary on the published article, instead of about the boy and others who got hurt, however I see a lot of us sure are on the same page.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Here is the pic in the gallery of the boat that Russell Aaron had was driving...according to the media anyway......Maddog

http://southernairboat.com/photopost/sh ... imit/last1