SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull design/plans?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:47 am 
Southern Airboat Member

I am wondering if anyone knows any sights on the net where plans for an airboat hull are available? Or if anyone has any plans (even basic)

I am going to build the hull from marine ply (I dont have access to aluminium welding, & have done some ply boat building/repair in the past, so I will go with ply) I will be using poly on the bottom tho :wink:

Failing getting plans (which will be really a guide for me) the main info I need, is whether the hull needs to be exactly rectangular, or narrower at the front (toe in) and the best angle the sides/transom should be at. I am guessing the transom can be vertical, I was guessing the sides should be about 10-15 degrees (out at the top of course) I also need to know if where the sides meet the bottom, if this should be a square edge, or rounded (worried about 'digging in' in turns)

Lastly (for now) I know the bottom has to be dead flat (no dimples upward between stringers) so the boat doesn't 'suck' onto the water/mud.... but I have noticed in some photos, alot of hulls, the rear corners are slightly higher than the middle of the hull, giving the back end a 'more normal' boatlike look rather than just a 'flat punt' back end.... not sure how to describe it....

Any discussion from you guys on any part of hull shape/design will be welcomed.... remember, I am a noob (and from down under) :oops: how bad is that! :roll:

Lucky I am a purdy clever noob :wink: Jack of all trades, master of none :lol:

EDIT: Any advice/experiences on 'what not to do/what will not work' will be absolutely appreciated :oops:

Post subject: Re: Hull design/plans?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:18 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

I'll post more as this thread developes, but have you considered riveting the hull. Some of the best, strongest and oldest hulls in the Everglades are hand riveted aluminum. Some 30 years old and still mashing grass. Its a thought.

Scotty

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:29 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks Scotty, My workshop is really set up for ply rather than aluminium (although I do have buckets of cleco's and stuff) I might try that (riveted aluminium) at a later date, but for now I will go ply/glass/poly (you dont think I will be stopping after one boat do you?).... Afraid I is HOOKED :roll:

Just need some of those ^ questions answered, make the jig & I'll get started :bounce:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Ok then

The nose doesn't have to be square, it can taper in some. How much is mostly aesthetics.
10-15 degrees out at the top of the sides is fine and it should taper to less and less to the front.
A flat bottom is great but I like a small amount of bow side to side in it, no cup at all though. I think I once measured some good performing boats and there was about 1-1.75 inches at the edges lift fromt he center.
I like the transom layed back slightly maybe 5-10 degrees. It seems to come vertical when ya get the wave push when stopping. Helps stop oversplash into the hull.
The edges where the sides meet the bottom are a tirck indeed. There are all kinds of deals there. I like a vertical rise about 2" and then a horizontal 2" then on up to the sides. This lets it handle a bit more stable when in turns and it also helps eliminate "some" crowhopping when in tight turns.
I would think that epoxy resin would serve ya better in construction than the standard polyester fiberglass resin.
I kind of like the (WEST) wood epoxy saturation technique but in an airboat I think I would use plenty of fasteners as well. Stitch and glue is fine but I don't think it has the toughness for an airboat application by itself.
Build a solid hull and a very light rigging with moreate power and it should do fine.
4 or 5 foot airfoil rudders of course.

May be a starting point for discussion here anyway

Scotty

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:03 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

CactusJack wrote:
Thanks Scotty, My workshop is really set up for ply rather than aluminium (although I do have buckets of cleco's and stuff) I might try that (riveted aluminium) at a later date, but for now I will go ply/glass/poly (you dont think I will be stopping after one boat do you?).... Afraid I is HOOKED :roll:

Just need some of those ^ questions answered, make the jig & I'll get started :bounce:

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/airboat.html http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/airboat.html
http://www.recreationalwatercraft.com/airboat_plans.htm
http://www.innovationet.com/
http://www.airboatfun.com/bt2_1.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:09 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

if you've never built or ran an airboat i would recomend buying someone elses boat first.that'll give you a basis for deciding what you want and how to go about building it yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:59 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Boobidges, Alas, I live in Canberra, in Australia.... there are no airboats at all (maybe in the far north) so I can't buy one already made.

I have been building & flying Gyrocopters for years.... about 5 years ago, I used a gyrocopter (Subaru EA81 turbo RD, 66" Warp drive prop) which a friend had turned over (while learning to fly) and bolted it into a 12' aluminium punt, which we drove around the local rivers making a complete @ss of ourselves :lol: until he sold off the parts :twisted:

I am quite confident/capable of making a hull from ply/glass/poly.... that isn't an issue. I just need a bit of basic info on shape of hull (footprint) and any advice about things that have been done/tried that didn't work, so I dont go walkin' in ground already travelled, with less than great results. :wink:

Thanks for your advice, anyway, it is the same advice I would give to a noob, if a ready (nearly) to go boat were available to them....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

to heavy in my opinion , all glass or alm is the only way to go 8)

THE POWER IS IN THE PUSH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:33 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Hi Cactus Jack. i'm leo here in the philippines.

As scotty mentioned, a starting point should be established first, so you'll need to decide what kind of airboat you want.

My take on the Hull that you would like to build: A wooden/ply/glass hull would generally be lighter or as light as a glass hull and also, generally speaking, stronger. This is with the assumption that it is properly designed and built. Although this fact is very promising in boat building, other factors affecting a wooden boat during its useful life outweighs the above statement.

I am not in anyway promoting Glen-L airboat design but they have a great airboat plan. The plan is somewhat more of the serious type as compared to other available plans out there..personally speaking of course.

The hull plan is very basic so i don't think you would have any significant issues with it BUT we have found some small matters that you may need to rethink during construction....treat it as if it needs your personal touch.

Some cons i have seen/experienced with it are:

1. the hull sides are too low at just 14", you may want to increase it to maybe 18" or more...depends
2. sides have too much angle at the transom...you may want to modify this a bit, see next issue
3. bottom is a bit narrow at just 60"...you can build it wider at the bottom, see next issue
4. sheer line tapers too much from the transom to bow...you may reduce this to allow for the modifications above.
5. reconsifer the so called forth floatation chambers....many more.

btw, i suggest you get a different power set-up and refrain from the mount/cage plan. search on more here at SA, you'll get to have the infos you need

note: if you decide to build this hull, attach the battens upright!

3.75:1 Belt Drive (Home built)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:07 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks leo & the others, yes, I have looked at the Glen-l boat. I picked the rear end shape as all wrong (too much angle in the sides) the front id too complicated (IMO) and I would rather be run over by a truck than use a VW engine :oops:

I have decided I am going to make a hull to get going, just with ply & maple from a local timber yard (not marine ply, just quality exterior ply) This way, it will cost less than a quater of the $ and if I make a mistake, (stuff it up) I havent wasted heaps of cash. This way I can learn by mistake, and when I am happy with the strength, handling & look of the finished hull, I will recreate it with marine ply. I will start with 7'9" wide at the rear (In Oz, 8' width is all you are allowed to tow on a trailer without wide load flags and a vehicle in front and behind, yellow lights etc), probably 6'6" wide at the front and 12' long (minus nose extension) for ease of sheet size useage. Square across the front, Sides will be vertical, nothin' fancy. I will be using more stringers & bulkheads, will seal the inside of the hull with marine varnish or sealer, then fill the compartments with foaming fiberglass (you know, mix part A & part B and stir.... then fill the chambers... it sets like solid coca cola froth) Then a deck over the top of that. If I get a hull out of this that lasts 6 months or a year I will be happy, because once I am happy with the design, I will make the quality one soon after (& the fiberglass will hold it together.... hopefully) :lol: It definately wont fall apart or sink (might be upside down, but it wont sink) Will Glass the sides and bottom and instal poly.

I don't like Glens cage either, I will make my own based on photos of you guy's boats, engine placement, prop size, etc I will initially use RHS mild tubing for engine support & seat mount & ERW tube for the cage frame. Once I am happy with everything, and it tests well in the water, I will recreate it in marine ply & use chrome moly for all the supports & cage (and shave off a heap of weight) I will know by then where I have over built it (my trademark) and where it could be stronger.

I will probably make my own belt drive to start with, but using 6 matched B section belts (with individual tensioners) and will probably make the tensioners able to be swung away (a cheap clutch?) so the motor can idle without the prop being powered, until the tensioners (in a group) will be introduced. The B belts can take about 30 hp each, so I'll save the blown, fuel injected, No2 engine for later, and stick with the stock(ish) 400 chev :lol:

Of course, I will keep you guys informed of progress :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:03 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

CactusJack wrote:
Thanks leo & the others, yes, I have looked at the Glen-l boat. I picked the rear end shape as all wrong (too much angle in the sides) the front id too complicated (IMO) and I would rather be run over by a truck than use a VW engine :oops:

I have decided I am going to make a hull to get going, just with ply & maple from a local timber yard (not marine ply, just quality exterior ply) This way, it will cost less than a quater of the $ and if I make a mistake, (stuff it up) I havent wasted heaps of cash. This way I can learn by mistake, and when I am happy with the strength, handling & look of the finished hull, I will recreate it with marine ply. I will start with 7'9" wide at the rear (In Oz, 8' width is all you are allowed to tow on a trailer without wide load flags and a vehicle in front and behind, yellow lights etc), probably 6'6" wide at the front and 12' long (minus nose extension) for ease of sheet size useage. Square across the front, Sides will be vertical, nothin' fancy. I will be using more stringers & bulkheads, will seal the inside of the hull with marine varnish or sealer, then fill the compartments with foaming fiberglass (you know, mix part A & part B and stir.... then fill the chambers... it sets like solid coca cola froth) Then a deck over the top of that. If I get a hull out of this that lasts 6 months or a year I will be happy, because once I am happy with the design, I will make the quality one soon after (& the fiberglass will hold it together.... hopefully) :lol: It definately wont fall apart or sink (might be upside down, but it wont sink) Will Glass the sides and bottom and instal poly.

I don't like Glens cage either, I will make my own based on photos of you guy's boats, engine placement, prop size, etc I will initially use RHS mild tubing for engine support & seat mount & ERW tube for the cage frame. Once I am happy with everything, and it tests well in the water, I will recreate it in marine ply & use chrome moly for all the supports & cage (and shave off a heap of weight) I will know by then where I have over built it (my trademark) and where it could be stronger.

I will probably make my own belt drive to start with, but using 6 matched B section belts (with individual tensioners) and will probably make the tensioners able to be swung away (a cheap clutch?) so the motor can idle without the prop being powered, until the tensioners (in a group) will be introduced. The B belts can take about 30 hp each, so I'll save the blown, fuel injected, No2 engine for later, and stick with the stock(ish) 400 chev :lol:

Of course, I will keep you guys informed of progress :wink:

we want see pics as you progress from begining to end think it will be a good photo shoot for some quality learning and discussion
i dont like any of the plans i posted but just to give you ideas is why i posted them to have something to work off ya know redesign what you dont like..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:24 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

If the hull I built doesn't work I'll take the trailer I'm almost finished and and drive down to Florida and pick one up!! :lol: Actually it would be cheaper to ship one here. extra width turned out to be a pain! :evil: I went 92" bottom and 96" top, hull length 16' 9" long. Had to build trailer so boat sits above tires so I went and built a 8' X 19' tilt deck. For the price of a new narrow gear Rotator I would sure consider it if they have any left. The less unknown variables you have to deal with (build or create) the sooner you will get it on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Wild Bill wrote:
If the hull I built doesn't work I'll take the trailer I'm almost finished and and drive down to Florida and pick one up!! :lol: Actually it would be cheaper to ship one here. extra width turned out to be a pain! :evil: I went 92" bottom and 96" top, hull length 16' 9" long. Had to build trailer so boat sits above tires so I went and built a 8' X 19' tilt deck. For the price of a new narrow gear Rotator I would sure consider it if they have any left. The less unknown variables you have to deal with (build or create) the sooner you will get it on the water.

is that ply wood or metal alum?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Steel. 12 Gauge mild steel. :lol: Lots of rocks where I'm going to be running and It was cheap to build. Find out when I get the trailer done how much it weigh's but i have the receipt's for the steel and it's sold by the pound so I have a guestimate how much it weighs but they always end up more don't they?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:21 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Southernhogdogs, thanks mate, as you know, I don't need 'plans to follow' just ideas.... so your links were much apreciated..... thanks. The method stuff in Glen's is really helpful, thats for sure....

Wild Bill, that is an awsome tub you got there :lol: man, you are one sick puppy :wink: That thing might be a little heavy (maybe) but crikey, it is nice..... cant wait to hear how she runs :bounce: Has given me lots of ideas too :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:17 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Had to look up crikey! :lol: we are pretty much in the same boat (no pun intended) :roll: as I am about 2300 miles or 3700K N NW from Ocala, Florida. Don't see very many airboats up here and who you calling sick? :twisted: Naw!, I'll consider it a compliment!! I have about $1400 Cdn. $ in the hull and I would consider building another one out of steel however I would do it a bit diferent. I considered wood as well however I tend to get a little caried away sometimes! I did come up for the name of the boat yesterday though! Metal Disorder!! :lol: fab work done on trailer and painted. just wire and plank the flat deck and ready to roll! Back to work tomorrow for a little rest!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Wild Bill wrote:
Had to look up crikey! :lol: we are pretty much in the same boat (no pun intended) :roll: as I am about 2300 miles or 3700K N NW from Ocala, Florida. Don't see very many airboats up here and who you calling sick? :twisted: Naw!, I'll consider it a compliment!! I have about $1400 Cdn. $ in the hull and I would consider building another one out of steel however I would do it a bit diferent. I considered wood as well however I tend to get a little caried away sometimes! I did come up for the name of the boat yesterday though! Metal Disorder!! :lol: fab work done on trailer and painted. just wire and plank the flat deck and ready to roll! Back to work tomorrow for a little rest!

i hope the trailer is heavy duty u going need it with that heavy sled but none the less pretty cool now just try it out alum and you be fast , lol but it looks good gps it see how fast she run and if it will get up on a plane .i salute ya both though for building them your selfs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Wild Bill, compliment was intended :wink:

I know it is going to be a great boat for you, can't wait to hear how she runs :bounce: (BTW, I like your choice of name..... maybe you could call it 'Crikey' coz thats what folks are gonna say when they see it!) :lol:

You might be interested in what I am going to do. I am making a hull, but want to make a better hull in the near future (teaching myself by trial and error) My cage, motor mount,rudders, seat, battery, fuel tank, instrument panel & controls are going to be a unit, that can be lifted on & off the hull with an engine crane in one piece, without disconnecting anything whatsoever. Just 6 or 8 big fat juicy bolts to undo, and lift it off & sit it on the floor. I am doing it this way, so if I find the hull I made is crap, I can unbolt the lot and plant it on the next (better) hull, probably in less than an hour :lol:

Also, this way, I can have an 11' hull, a 13' hull and a 16' hull.... all with one power plant that I can swap from one hull to the other, depending on my mood..... sporty, fast & manouverable..... or slow (er) and steadier (fishing, going somewhere or rougher water) If one gets damaged or needs a few modifications, I can just use another hull in the meantime.

I suggest this to you, because, you can probably make another hull at your leasure & use your setup (engine, cage etc) on both, if you make your unit a 'module' also. You can build a 12' hull and zip around at warp factor 9 when you want...... or when you ave a few girls who want to do some naked sunbaking on the deck of the 16 footer, you can put it all on that one :lol:

Hmmmm.... 'Metal disorder'??....... 'Crikey'?? ....... Crikey, hard to pick! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:30 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

nice idea but the whole set up will need moved around on each boat to get it to ride right and get the weight distribited right for each hual.so it dont porpose,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

True SHD, but I will make a template so the prop will always end up 4" in from the transom and 3" below the transom.... and I am going to experiment with making the engine tilt from the drivers seat (on the run) I have a set of 'power tilt/trim' rams & pump from an eggbeater (outboard).... so once the unit is mounted on whichever hull, I will be able to move the stops so the engine (thrust) angle can be changed to suit the hull it gets put on. I am going to also experiment with a horizontal stabilizer as well to control plowing (nose ride height)....

I'm not thinking I can build 'the ultimate airboat', I just love tinkering & want to try some of these things. If they dont work, they can allways join the other 'failiers' in the pile in the corner of my workshop :mrgreen: