SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Airboat steering pics
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

My father and I are building my first boat and i'm looking for ideas concerning the steering. I was thinking of Teleflex steering but am now leaning toward mechanical/direct drive. Can you guys throw up some pictures of some examples you've seen? Its a fiberglass hull so it will have to be done in the hull (I guess) and out of the way. Thanks ahead of time guys and gals!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

IF IT WAS MY BOAT I WOULD PUT TELEFLEX CABLE ON IT FOR THE STEERING

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:18 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

So would I. Teleflex is the most flexable and less prone to damage of any of the types.

Having said that if your going to run dual rudders, I would go with a well built bel-crank system. Use heim joints on it and keep them oiled. When its built it has to be built for your boat so it won't overcenter and put the linkage into the prop. Sure has happened a bunch of times to folks. Failing a properly designed Bel-crank you can use any old-bel crank and just put rudder stops on your rigging to limit rudder travel.

One more time though. If you can, go with teleflex cable steering for airboats. Its like power steering when done right.

Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:24 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

I too would recomend teleflex over mechanical linkage (dog leg). Being your first boat teleflex is a lot less seanceative therefor less chance of small errors becoming big ones or over-correcting.

"Started burnin' our candles at both ends, and the middle
Bunch of roarin' outlaws at high speed."

-Jamey Johnson

KCCO
Mohrrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

viewtopic.php?p=158176#p158176
viewtopic.php?p=159681#p159681

and this is so simple it's the epitome of perfect pure graceful...
viewtopic.php?p=159797#p159797

You wanted photos right? They are all in that thread.

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/shortmovie.php

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Teleflex is good it's airboat power steering. I had 2boats with dogleg type, 2 with foot steering + 1 with teleflex. The teleflex is the safest IMO.
Lanny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Whitebear, you said in the other post that you would never Teleflex. What changed your mind?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

russelllaviolette wrote:
Whitebear, you said in the other post that you would never Teleflex. What changed your mind?

I was telling another person what they should use, not puffing about what "I" like for me. 99% of everyone who has run teleflex likes it, and I don't necessarily dislike it. Its way cheeper and easier to build a bel-crank though and done right its just as precise as teleflex and way cheeper to replace. For What its Worth, my little boat that I'm selling has teleflex on it.

Maybe I'm coming around more to what everybody else likes. Us Old F. Arts change slow ya know.

Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Yea, I hear ya. Im building this airboat with my father who has been building them since the late 60's, we have conflicting ideas quite often. I like the price point and simple nature of mechanical, like the Sawgass example on those links sent by the other gentleman. Money is the chief concern. Where do you gentleman urchase your Teleflex? Someone told me Amazon Hose and Rubber in Orlando has something similar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Where to buy it? I'd buy it at Alumitech because I'm in Orlando area. Or Panther or Diamondback if you are on the east coast. Or GTO or anyone. I'm pretty sure just about all the mfgr's would be happy to sell you the right length you need. Some of the bigger ones may even mail-order it to you. I'd much rather buy it from an airboat mfgr than some clearinghouse on the internet - just to make sure you get the right ends/hardware/etc. It may cost a little more, but getting it right on the first shot has value.

As was stated in another thread, get the smooth black stuff if you want the good stuff, or get the bumpy gray stuff if you want to replace it after a couple seasons. Get TELEFLEX brand name.

I'm sorry guys, I don't understand why a beginner should stay away from a direct linkage. It's simpler, harder to break, easier to fix if it does, and much more responsive. I don't consider myself any super skilled and I learned just fine on direct linkage on my first day driving. It's not difficult by any means. It depends on the size of the boat I guess. The bigger boats generally have the teleflex linkage and smaller ones generally direct.

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/shortmovie.php

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Big boat with solid. Here is what I did.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:41 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

I`ve got Dale Back built steering on my boat and I`ll bet any body there teleflex isn`t as easy as mine to turn. It will flop in a slight breeze so you have to put a bunge on it at nite or it will wake you up and make you run outside with a gun thinking your boat is getting stole :shock: :lol: I`ll post pics tonite,Whitebear has seen my set up,and Flcurdog has my old set up,it`s truly like power steering 8) And it doesnt get stiff when it gets rained on or over time

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Joe wrote:
I`ve got Dale Back built steering on my boat and I`ll bet any body there teleflex isn`t as easy as mine to turn. It will flop in a slight breeze so you have to put a bunge on it at nite or it will wake you up and make you run outside with a gun thinking your boat is getting stole :shock: :lol: I`ll post pics tonite,Whitebear has seen my set up,and Flcurdog has my old set up,it`s truly like power steering 8) And it doesnt get stiff when it gets rained on or over time
I'll second that. Teleflex is like driving an old car without powersteering compared to Dales setup :wink: My old deckover with the bar connected straight to the rudder worked just as well. I won't own another boat with teleflex.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Joe, I look forward to seeing pics of your miracle setup. Ha ha. My fathers boat, about a 14' Diamondback, runs Teleflex, and while I like it, it's just not responsive enough. It's quite old and so I factor that in, but mechanical will always be more direct and precise I assume.