Airboat steering pics

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat steering pics

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm

My father and I are building my first boat and i'm looking for ideas concerning the steering. I was thinking of Teleflex steering but am now leaning toward mechanical/direct drive. Can you guys throw up some pictures of some examples you've seen? Its a fiberglass hull so it will have to be done in the hull (I guess) and out of the way. Thanks ahead of time guys and gals!

CONTINENTAL CRACKER
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Airboat steering pics

Postby CONTINENTAL CRACKER » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm

IF IT WAS MY BOAT I WOULD PUT TELEFLEX CABLE ON IT FOR THE STEERING
I WOULD RATHER PADDLE A CANOE THAN OWN A WATERPUMPER

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:18 pm

So would I. Teleflex is the most flexable and less prone to damage of any of the types.

Having said that if your going to run dual rudders, I would go with a well built bel-crank system. Use heim joints on it and keep them oiled. When its built it has to be built for your boat so it won't overcenter and put the linkage into the prop. Sure has happened a bunch of times to folks. Failing a properly designed Bel-crank you can use any old-bel crank and just put rudder stops on your rigging to limit rudder travel.

One more time though. If you can, go with teleflex cable steering for airboats. Its like power steering when done right.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:24 pm

I too would recomend teleflex over mechanical linkage (dog leg). Being your first boat teleflex is a lot less seanceative therefor less chance of small errors becoming big ones or over-correcting.
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Make America Cool Again!

KCCO

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:36 pm

viewtopic.php?p=158176#p158176
viewtopic.php?p=159681#p159681

and this is so simple it's the epitome of perfect pure graceful...
viewtopic.php?p=159797#p159797

You wanted photos right? They are all in that thread.

lanny haff
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lanny haff » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Teleflex is good it's airboat power steering. I had 2boats with dogleg type, 2 with foot steering + 1 with teleflex. The teleflex is the safest IMO.
Lanny

russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Whitebear, you said in the other post that you would never Teleflex. What changed your mind?

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 pm

russelllaviolette wrote:Whitebear, you said in the other post that you would never Teleflex. What changed your mind?

I was telling another person what they should use, not puffing about what "I" like for me. 99% of everyone who has run teleflex likes it, and I don't necessarily dislike it. Its way cheeper and easier to build a bel-crank though and done right its just as precise as teleflex and way cheeper to replace. For What its Worth, my little boat that I'm selling has teleflex on it.

Maybe I'm coming around more to what everybody else likes. Us Old F. Arts change slow ya know.

Scotty
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Postby russelllaviolette » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Yea, I hear ya. Im building this airboat with my father who has been building them since the late 60's, we have conflicting ideas quite often. I like the price point and simple nature of mechanical, like the Sawgass example on those links sent by the other gentleman. Money is the chief concern. Where do you gentleman urchase your Teleflex? Someone told me Amazon Hose and Rubber in Orlando has something similar.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby SwampMatt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 am

Where to buy it? I'd buy it at Alumitech because I'm in Orlando area. Or Panther or Diamondback if you are on the east coast. Or GTO or anyone. I'm pretty sure just about all the mfgr's would be happy to sell you the right length you need. Some of the bigger ones may even mail-order it to you. I'd much rather buy it from an airboat mfgr than some clearinghouse on the internet - just to make sure you get the right ends/hardware/etc. It may cost a little more, but getting it right on the first shot has value.

As was stated in another thread, get the smooth black stuff if you want the good stuff, or get the bumpy gray stuff if you want to replace it after a couple seasons. Get TELEFLEX brand name.

I'm sorry guys, I don't understand why a beginner should stay away from a direct linkage. It's simpler, harder to break, easier to fix if it does, and much more responsive. I don't consider myself any super skilled and I learned just fine on direct linkage on my first day driving. It's not difficult by any means. It depends on the size of the boat I guess. The bigger boats generally have the teleflex linkage and smaller ones generally direct.

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 am

Big boat with solid. Here is what I did.

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:41 am

I`ve got Dale Back built steering on my boat and I`ll bet any body there teleflex isn`t as easy as mine to turn. It will flop in a slight breeze so you have to put a bunge on it at nite or it will wake you up and make you run outside with a gun thinking your boat is getting stole :shock: :lol: I`ll post pics tonite,Whitebear has seen my set up,and Flcurdog has my old set up,it`s truly like power steering 8) And it doesnt get stiff when it gets rained on or over time
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Jimmy Rickards
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Jimmy Rickards » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 am

Joe wrote:I`ve got Dale Back built steering on my boat and I`ll bet any body there teleflex isn`t as easy as mine to turn. It will flop in a slight breeze so you have to put a bunge on it at nite or it will wake you up and make you run outside with a gun thinking your boat is getting stole :shock: :lol: I`ll post pics tonite,Whitebear has seen my set up,and Flcurdog has my old set up,it`s truly like power steering 8) And it doesnt get stiff when it gets rained on or over time
I'll second that. Teleflex is like driving an old car without powersteering compared to Dales setup :wink: My old deckover with the bar connected straight to the rudder worked just as well. I won't own another boat with teleflex.
If your dog doesn't like someone. You probably shouldn't either

russelllaviolette
Southern Airboat Member

Postby russelllaviolette » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 am

Joe, I look forward to seeing pics of your miracle setup. Ha ha. My fathers boat, about a 14' Diamondback, runs Teleflex, and while I like it, it's just not responsive enough. It's quite old and so I factor that in, but mechanical will always be more direct and precise I assume.

Return to “Airboat Tech”