SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:00 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I just got one and cant find any info on them. Where can I get parts? Has anyone seen one on an airboat? I want to use it for a mini airboat..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:35 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Yup, they were made in at least 2 versions. 72 and the super at 90 HP. Go to http://www.Rotorcraft.com and dig through their pages. I havent been there in years, looks like its very limited now. It was a popular Gyroplane engine at one time. Lots of developement went into them for Gyroplanes and I think there is one guy still has about every part for them as well as a lot of performance parts.

Building a header to muffle the thing will be a chore. Should be lots of YouTube videos showing them.

They were unmanned drone engines. Really light weight for the HP. Should be a really really fun project to work on for a light boat.

Heres the whole plane for sale on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

Good luck

Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:49 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

The engine is in perfect condition,The guy i got it from was building a gyrocopter. Health reasons caused him to give up the project...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Most folks that flew them gave it up for health reasons as well. Most got killed in them.

Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:54 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

that site has not been updated since 2001, death is a serious health hazard!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:49 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Anybody looking for these engines.....I know where several are...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I have a block and one cyl for the 100hp

If you google the model # it will take you to the web site They are still being used and made if California. They make up to a 125hpin the same set up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:35 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

R&D Aeronautical Engineering Co Inc. This guy is out of Caddo Texas 900-527-2006/cgifly@gmail.com, I couldn't get the link to paste from my google chrome, but if you google CHEAPAIRCRAFT2 it will bring you to some forums, he also has a You Tube video of his little plane with drone 4318, it sounds pretty cool! (Skeet Wymans McCullbird), I think with the wright hull set up it would make a cool mini/lightweight (short and wide displacement hull) It sounds like a fun project and keep us posted! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Davie GSO480 wrote:
Anybody looking for these engines.....I know where several are...

I wouldn't mind having one for schitts & giggles 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

WWW.Rotorcraft.com was a site much like this one. A guy name Norm pretty much ran the whole thing. Some personal reasons caused him to shut down the site. I think a lot of the gyro guys went to a site like barnstomers or something. If you go to the PRA site (popular rotorcraft) you can get some other links to where these guys chat now. There is a guy here in FL somewhere midstate that builds Dominator gyro named Ernie Boyette. He might have some info but I think he uses the Rotax engine on most of his machines.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Norm had a really good thing going there. However there were a or at least ONE premadonna that always caused trouble. He was seldome wrong but he was always pushing his point and being a bit rude to others. I still have my Little Wing Plans I bought through that forum. After Ken Brock got killed that was the last straw for me though.

Ernie got it right the first time. Ernie did his homework and came out with the solution to power pitchovers and PIO that was 99% of what got people into trouble in Gyros. Ernie had at one time the ONLY safe pusher gyro on the market. Many followed his lead and nearly all were meeting with success for their designs. Some who refused to accept that the High Center of thrust was the culprit still sell those machines and they are still dangerous. Another nice one for the homebuilder was the Gyro Bee, it didnt suffer as much from the high COT because of its relatively low power.

There are still a couple of folks who posted there I would like to Look up though. Ken from California (Capt. Goofy) figured out how to make one fo the commercial kits fairly safe. At least he was flying one that he wasnt having trouble with.

I can rattle for hours on these things, cause I am still fond of the idea but I would want floats and a 2 place craft as well as a tractor design. You can't imagine how many nights I have dreamed of these things. They are every bit as bad as airboats for addiction. Well, actually, anything that flies is. Lot less folks get killed in airboats than in Gyros though.

Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I am building a b20 autogyro and i have been looking for one of these engines and would really like to get one for a fair price.

Last edited by nathan on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:34 am 
Southern Airboat Member

if you can give me a call at 3523177484 im intrested in one of these engines i just want to talk to you and get some prices together