Marlin on the Brazos

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Marlin on the Brazos

Postby ringneck » Wed May 10, 2017 4:53 pm

My nephew and I are planning a full day running the Brazos upriver from Marlin before it gets full summer. We have duck, deer, and hog hunted on Falls County private land for quite a few years using my ARGO. Trailered the boat there last year for some exploring but the river was super high and we elected not try it.

Any advice from some of you boys that run from Marlin about 50 miles up would be apreciated.
We could run down also but prefer up.

16x8 AIRRANGER RHINO, LEVATATOR 450, CH3, WHIRLWIND 3B-80
Aircraft hand prop tractor, half guard old school survivor

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Marlin on the Brazos

Postby br,lc,LA » Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 am

The is a fairly large ride there every year for Memorial Day Weekend. Best advice you can get is to get on Facebook and join Southeast Texas Airboats. Most of us are on there and can give you advice. We don't frequent SA much.
2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Sat May 13, 2017 9:02 am

THANKS br,ic,LA

Look forward to contacting some of you airboaters that have survived the hull killng Brazos rocks. Where we hunt is supposed to be a a very old
shallow crossing used by pioneer Cattle Drovers. I have seen times when you could walk across the river with knee boots over a Limestone base
with cantelope size gravel and topped with sand/mud banks. Just curious how much of this is upriver.

I grew up down there where a lot of your Fasebook group live. A big huricane came through in the 80's and blew me 200 miles up the Sabine
so I figured it was too much trouble to bring all my stuff back.

Thanks again for your help.
:texas:

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby HASBEEN » Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 pm

I truly hope you guys get to run that part of the Brazos. If you get a chance to research the early Texas history associated with it will be "enlightening"

If I understand where you are talking about putting in, there is a County Park with a "Low water dam" and a concrete launching ramp, called "Falls on the Brazos Park"

You can go up or down from there, but both are hard on poly...pick yur poison :violent1:

The next ramp is a TPWD public ramp on the NW side of Hwy 7 bridge. Be careful of all of the old bridge structure ( steel and concrete )in the water there.

You mentioned 50 miles north....... :scratch: I believe there is 20 miles or so before you get into the Waco/Lake Waco stuff...maybe more but I have only been 10/ 15 miles North of Hwy 7.

The Full ride from Falls on the Brazos, North, past Hwy 7 for 15 Miles is a great ride.

Here is a link to an old thread where BrotherBob talked me into "Takin a Trip" down to the Coast from Hwy 7

There are "LOTS" of pics and Videos and quite a few are from that part of the Brazos.......long read....but worth it :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19578&hilit=epic

Good Luck and be safe...

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but [b]AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Hello Hasbeen

Excelent info. I Ihave already checked out the HW 7 and Falls Park launch sites.

We are a big family supporter of all things honoring our Military and LEO"s so we will be on the Brasos Memorial Day weekend.

Look forward to meeting up with some new AB folks.

Thank you for the advice. :texas:

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Sat May 20, 2017 10:51 am

:http://southernairboat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19578&hilit=epic

WHAT AN ADVENTURE !!!!! Hasbeen, Brother Bob, and crew......you are the kind of folks that made our country as great as it is.

Y'al took one look at them big arse rocks downstream and must of said "TROUBLE????.....WHAT TROUBLE" keep south until you hit blue water.

We are locked in for the Memorial Day Brazos run. I"d be pleased to meet some of you that survived.

And a special thanks to SA for saving an eight year old thread for us with questions.

Site Supporter funds to follow.
:texas:

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Howdy you all
BRAB45 RRAB 17

Return to “Texas Airboaters”