OX BOX and BALLISTIC Specs?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

OX BOX and BALLISTIC Specs?

Post by TIGO541 »

I recently realized that the Rotator is about 1inch longer overall and about 1inch higher at the output shaft than a Stinger which causes a problem for my prop clearing my cage. My question is what are the OX and Ballistic specs as far as this is concerned or are they even different themselves from the Stinger and Rotator???
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

River-Runner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: OX BOX and BALLISTIC Specs?

Post by River-Runner »

I'm sure someone will post specs before I can. I could get the specs for the ox box tomorrow off mine

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Roughly 9 inches for the RHR OX. Center hub to mounts or bottom of drive. If you jack it up then of course it's more!

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

The Ox is similar to the stinger and it also offers a few different hub lengths,,

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Prototype wrote:Roughly 9 inches for the RHR OX. Center hub to mounts or bottom of drive. If you jack it up then of course it's more!
If you were to jack it up, wouldn't the distance from the bottom of the drive to the hub C/L stay the same ?

Sorry, Prototype. I couldn't resist. :D
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Deano wrote:
Prototype wrote:Roughly 9 inches for the RHR OX. Center hub to mounts or bottom of drive. If you jack it up then of course it's more!
If you were to jack it up, wouldn't the distance from the bottom of the drive to the hub C/L stay the same ?

Sorry, Prototype. I couldn't resist. :D

As long as you don't use a prop stretcher, yes the number remains the same LOL

Roxy7430
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Roxy7430 »

TIGO541 wrote:I recently realized that the Rotator is about 1inch longer overall and about 1inch higher at the output shaft than a Stinger which causes a problem for my prop clearing my cage. My question is what are the OX and Ballistic specs as far as this is concerned or are they even different themselves from the Stinger and Rotator???

Ballistic box:
11.5 inches deep. (from engine to hub surface)
8 inches high. (from top of rear engine stand to center of rear output shaft or hub)

The Ballistic box also has dual mounting options to replace a stinger or rotator.

TIGO - you will need to modify your engine stand if you replace a stinger with a rotator.
Jim Allen, President
Go Ballistic Airboat Co
352 463 3960
jim.a@pharma-mgt.com

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Jim what are the distance between each set on mounting holes, rotator and stringer center to center. Got a buddy that bought a hull with rigging, want to see what we have to do to his rigging to make your box fit.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

If its set up for either a rotator or stinger than both an ox bix and ballistic will bolt right up

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Thanks tony I realize that, but was not familiar dimension of each box being a DD guy, lol. My buddies rigging was set-up for a belt box, but where it mounts is a long plate. I am thinking we can just redrill the plate as a quick fix till we can build a new much lighter rigging.

Tony sent ya a PM.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Mike, my belt drive notes would imply:

Width: The Stinger holes are 12" center 2 center (apart), the belt should have been right about 17 5/16" apart.
Fore/Aft: The Stinger holes are about 3 1/8" back from the bellhousing, where the belt holes are about 5 3/4" back from the bellhousing.
Vertical: The Stinger holes about 3" lower than pan rail, the belt holes are about 1/2" higher than the pan rail on a CH2, don't know how or if the CH3 or 4 differ.

That may very well not be exact, but will give you a fair idea of where you will end up.
I think the Rotator holes are futher apart (14"?) but am not sure of that and don't have one here to look at.
If that's the case, it would likely be easier to use the Rotator holes than the Stinger's.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Thanks Deano that's exactly what I was looking for, it should give me an idea if it will work.

old rigging is 11ga 1" heavy, Sound like we need to get the box and start from scratch.

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 »

Roxy7430 wrote:
TIGO541 wrote:I recently realized that the Rotator is about 1inch longer overall and about 1inch higher at the output shaft than a Stinger which causes a problem for my prop clearing my cage. My question is what are the OX and Ballistic specs as far as this is concerned or are they even different themselves from the Stinger and Rotator???

Ballistic box:
11.5 inches deep. (from engine to hub surface)
8 inches high. (from top of rear engine stand to center of rear output shaft or hub)

The Ballistic box also has dual mounting options to replace a stinger or rotator.

TIGO - you will need to modify your engine stand if you replace a stinger with a rotator.
Thanks that's what I was looking for. I already have modified my motor stand to fit the rotator but my prop is too close to my cage. The OX being 9inches and the Ballistic being 8inches sounds like from the output shaft point of view and concerning my issue the Ballistic would be the choice for me. Now the ratio. Is Ballistic going to offer the 1.53 and 1.7????
Last edited by TIGO541 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 »

One Eyed Gator wrote:Jim what are the distance between each set on mounting holes, rotator and stringer center to center. Got a buddy that bought a hull with rigging, want to see what we have to do to his rigging to make your box fit.
The Stinger holes are 12inches apart and the Rotator are around 15inches like he said but the Stinger holes are also set about an inch further away from the engine than the Rotator

Roxy7430
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Roxy7430 »

Most Rotators are 15.75 center to center ( some are 15.5 and some are 16)

Stinger is 12 center to center

Ballistic ratios in stock are 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7. Will have limited number of 1.8 and 2.9 in next few weeks.
Jim Allen, President
Go Ballistic Airboat Co
352 463 3960
jim.a@pharma-mgt.com

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 »

Roxy7430 wrote:Most Rotators are 15.75 center to center ( some are 15.5 and some are 16)

Stinger is 12 center to center

Ballistic ratios in stock are 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7. Will have limited number of 1.8 and 2.9 in next few weeks.
Sent you a PM thanks

Return to “Airboat Tech”