SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: K-WAY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

What is the good and bads of this gearbox?
I have one on my boat, seems to be working fine but is noisey as hell. Any way to make it quieter?
thanks for any oppinion.

Post subject: Re: K-WAY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

quite it down change it they all make sounds ask yobee he was the last person i no who ran one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Good boxes, old, so the newer ones are obviously improved. Spur cut gears are noisy by nature. Mine ran fine for me for a couple years I had it, and lord knows it was ran before I got it, and it is still being ran today by a gentleman in the sarasota/okeechobee area. I believe he posts on here as "mad dog" but not very often. From what I understand he took it apart and got it quieted up. Might try to send him a pm and ask what he did?

Continental powered Performance hull.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

call classic/panther airboats they may buy it as an antique for display in their musem. just the fact that it is still running is a testament to it. very old school

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:47 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

I've been running mine since 2000 and had zero problems with it... and I've run the dog chit out of it. A while back I was over at Classic and they had a new style drive plate which sandwiched a composite disc between aluminum discs. Swapping to the new drive made it a little quieter. If your drive plate is the older single disc of aluminum, this may be an option. I've had three "different" engines in front of my gear reduction and each one rattled the gear box a little different than the others. My current set up is really quiet, but as Yobee referenced earlier, I don't know about the guts inside of mine or if Bruce Kaye used different cut gears during the production of the K-way, but, I sure am grateful to him for making this gear box... I've made some of my best memories with it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

cntry141iq wrote:
call classic/panther airboats they may buy it as an antique for display in their musem. just the fact that it is still running is a testament to it. very old school

wtf would they want that for man ....come on :roll: antique :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

James you are too young to know the story behind Bruce Kay and Bud Bell .. otherwise you would understand ... but yep antiques in the world of technology and design ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Love it when people run their mouth when they know not of what they speak.....unreal...yet so typical.

Maddog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

If you want some of the "bad" stories, send a PM to Randy a.k.a. airboat4fun He's got some horror stories about his. Probably not the best to go posting it all, interesting to hear, anyway.

The way I understand how it works, (in a nutshell) is that when panther wanted to get into the gearbox business years ago, They bought the K-Way company. After some re-engineering and re-design improvements, they were re-released with a new look, (and new performance) under the brand name "Rotator". And the product has been evolving since. Panther/Rotator does all the machine work on all their own parts. I'm not sure if they do their own casting on the cast parts. It'd be understandable of they farmed that out, I know they've got an extensive machine shop with over a half dozen CNC machines plus computerized lathes etc. Impressive outfit. I think they also make the machined parts for Warp Drive and Sensenich prop hubs. Don't quote me on that though.

If your K-way ever needed service, you'd want to take it to Panther in Cocoa Beach. But talk to Randy first. A grain of salt is always a good thing!

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/shortmovie.php

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Bought ???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

well, then acquired.
The point was not how they got it, but was that what was once k-way is now panther.
How they got it doesn't really matter IMO.

And James, it's just not cool to say that Panther doesn't care. Please don't go getting this thread trashed and erased! They did not make that product, they shouldn't have to service it. But if you want to PAY someone to work on it, then Panther would be glad to talk to you. Probably. I can't speak for panther, but I know they are nice, honorable and reputable people. But they are a business. And one of the main mission of "business" is "profit". You can't argue that! If you do, then go live in a communist country or something. It's not that they don't give a crap about a person or a product. Well... maybe you - I could see that. LOL :lol: :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

My buddy has been running one for 11 yrs. Noisy but works great. Has even outrun plenty of "new school boxes " lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

when did K-WAY stop being produced?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

ACQUIRED.THATS A NICE WAY TO PUT IT. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

well I guess just let it die ... wasn't my dogs in the fight ... but there were a lot of fights with a lot of folks and it shaped airboat history as we know it or as some don't know it LOL but it is what it is and it is all done just sometimes a memory is a bad thing to have ...

but it is all good now ... most of the blood has been wiped up .. most of the wounds are healed over with a few scars here and there ... and maybe in a few more years nobody will be left who will know anything about the fights that were ... time has a way of doing that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

That's why they call it bygones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:34 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Well i guess i should give my opinion on this!! I have been running a kway box on my boat for 11yrs now. most of it has been racing. i have had several differnt motors on it and never once has it givin me any problems. As for panther not servicing it. that is total bullstuff!!! i hear alot of the same people crying about diff companies not giving them service. if you had to deal with you you would give yourself bad service!! If you want to get your KWAY alot quieter i put the rotator oil in mine. it is a little thicker and seems to stay on the gears alot better. jmo if it is working for ya then stay with it. if you don't like it call me i may just buy it from you. i guess i'm into antiques!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 am 
Southern Airboat Member

10-4, If I decide to sell It I'll let you know.
Thanks for all openions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:54 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I just saw this thread. It's fun watching it develop.

what I do want you to know is that we manufactured the K-Way from 93-94 until 1998, we built and sold about 400, most are still running as far as I know. The K-Way was developed as an R & D box for both the Rotator and Counter Rotator; That's why the box is built in sections, ie. bell housing, box, top etc.. When the internal workings of the box were what we wanted we went to casting and the Rotator was Born.

We started selling the first Rotator in 98-99 and as with all machinery, it to is in continious R & D.

We still service the K-Ways. We still have seals avaliable, shafts, bearings and some gears. We sold off the last of the K-Ways we shelved in 1998 for 1300.00 last year.

I also want to assure you as with all the Manufacturers, we are customer oriented and try to help in every way we can. Our shop is open 6 days a week, call or stop, we'll be happy to help. 800-247-2628

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Sam7130 wrote:
I just saw this thread. It's fun watching it develop.

what I do want you to know is that we manufactured the K-Way from 93-94 until 1998, we built and sold about 400, most are still running as far as I know. The K-Way was developed as an R & D box for both the Rotator and Counter Rotator; That's why the box is built in sections, ie. bell housing, box, top etc.. When the internal workings of the box were what we wanted we went to casting and the Rotator was Born.

We started selling the first Rotator in 98-99 and as with all machinery, it to is in continious R & D.

We still service the K-Ways. We still have seals avaliable, shafts, bearings and some gears. We sold off the last of the K-Ways we shelved in 1998 for 1300.00 last year.

I also want to assure you as with all the Manufacturers, we are customer oriented and try to help in every way we can. Our shop is open 6 days a week, call or stop, we'll be happy to help. 800-247-2628